Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a build of the XSR900 that I love, and really want to do something similar (ie, steal their idea for myself). The the aluminum fender (which I like because it lengthens the rear a bit for more of a classic cafe style) in the photograph has a plastic cover that matches the one on the tank.
Has anyone seen this for sale anywhere, or is it likely custom? If its custom, how do you think he pulled it off?

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
1,705 Posts
Maybe a 3D printed piece?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe a 3D printed piece?
I was thinking that. I was considering designing my own, but I'm not exactly an expert and it's surprisingly expensive, especially if I'll have to make several prototypes. If anyone has the file and could upload it, that would be amazing! If I ever make my own I'll be sure to upload it here and figure out the paint match plastic colour.

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
553 Posts
IMHO it doesn't look longer than the stock fender piece - I think it is a stock fender and the reason it has the 'center' stripe to match the tank is to cover the hole where the tail light used to be mounted. If I were going to try and replicate the 'look' I'd start by removing the stock tail light and then fill the holes in the fender so it was smooth. Nothing fancy, just regular body filler, not sure how well it would bond but it would prove out the idea. After that I'd just get a piece of vinyl wrap and lay it on for the stripe. You could then wrap the stock center part and get an exact color match.

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
1,705 Posts
If I were going to try and replicate the 'look' I'd start by removing the stock tail light and then fill the holes in the fender so it was smooth. Nothing fancy, just regular body filler, not sure how well it would bond but it would prove out the idea. After that I'd just get a piece of vinyl wrap and lay it on for the stripe. You could then wrap the stock center part and get an exact color match.
That may be what they did, above.

If you were really crafty, you would get some aluminum sheet, cut it to match the hole, and TIG weld it into place. The hole itself is sort of bell-shaped, but you could just hog out a rectangle to make it easier. But you would have to be a pretty good welder/bodyman to make it look nice. I’m not that good! Of course, if you were that good, why not just fabricate a whole new fender? 😛

You could also just tack a piece of sheetmetal to the underside of the hole and then use body filler. I don’t think filler by itself would be structurally sound.

There are many things you could do. It depends on your skill set. Or you could leave the stock tail light in place like I did, because I actually like it!

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
553 Posts
yeah - my thought was that any joe in his garage could do body filler & wrap in a solid saturday and have it 100% reversable if they decided they didn't like it. You could take the stock fender into pretty much any metal fab shop and ask them to fill it and get somethign that was smooth enough to put wrap over but then its more money and you'd have to buy a whole new fender if you didn't like it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am sure it's the stock tail piece, but with a plastic part that's covering the hole. It continues the "stripe" from the tank by matching the colour. It's the plastic piece I'm trying to track down..if it is a part for sale or someone who 3D printed it has the 3D print file.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I think it is some sort of tape.
It looks like it's folded around the end of the fender on the last pic.

Probably I'm wrong, but...

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
553 Posts
I think it is some sort of tape.
It looks like it's folded around the end of the fender on the last pic.

Probably I'm wrong, but...
I agree - doesn't look like it has enough thickness to be a plastic piece. If it were then my guess would be that it was 3d printed.

·
Registered
16 fz09
255 Posts
Go get a strip of thin black abs. Clamp it to the fender and hit it with a heat gun to form it to the fender. Drill some holes and stick some boots through it. Done

1 - 10 of 10 Posts