Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Hey guys, thanks for all the replies. My bike is back together again. I pulled the rear wheel, removed the old tire without issue, installed one side of the new tire and just wasn't able to spoon on the final side. But the good news is that a shop about 15 miles from home completed the installation for $20. They use a turn-table machine and did a perfect job. I mentioned to him that I really need to do the front too and he said just bring in the wheel with the old tire still mounted and the price will still be $20.
I've checked numerous areas on the bike, including footpegs (and my front pegs are aftermarket) and I didn't find anything missing. Front brake caliper clips are still in place. It has to be off something...the only things that goes past that area of the garage are my two bikes, two bicycles, a leaf blower, and my 8' garage door. Can't find anything missing so far and I don't see anything on the garage door that would use that clip. The door operates manually, and my larger door, which uses a garage door opener, has a larger clip intact. Kind regards.

·
Registered
967 Posts
what kind of tire were you trying to spoon on? i've done plenty, and my dunlops have hands down been the WORST haha. pirelli's weren't too bad, but if you threw on some dunlops... I feel for ya.

and $20 is dirt cheap. places around here charge 50 to change, and 70 to change + balance

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
what kind of tire were you trying to spoon on? i've done plenty, and my dunlops have hands down been the WORST haha. pirelli's weren't too bad, but if you threw on some dunlops... I feel for ya.

and $20 is dirt cheap. places around here charge 50 to change, and 70 to change + balance
Yeah, It was a Dunlop Road 2. It was hard as a rock and even letting it sit out in the sun didn't help much. The shop said that it went on easily, but they're using a machine. I've done tires with spoons, and the problem I usually have is that the rim protectors, including the spoons themselves, use up a lot of slack. Plus the tire lube makes the rim protectors slide out of position. My last 180 size tire was on my SV and being a Micheln it seemed much softer.

·
Registered
26 Posts
That looks like the pin that goes on the backside of the rear brake pedal on some of my other Yamahas. Maybe number 18 from parts photos above. I haven't looked at the XSR yet.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Well, this morning I found where that clip goes. I was thinking...what other "stuff" have I used in this area? Answer: car jack when our vehicle picked up a nail last month. So I looked at the jack sitting under my workbench and sure enough I found exactly where that clip goes.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I love a happy ending :p.

pretty funny you were stuck on dunlops too! i've been through a few road smarts now and solely due to the pain of installing myself I'll probably switch it up next go around.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts