Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just removed the rear wheel in order to do a tire change. Had to struggle some to get the rear caliper bracket to pull back and off the swingarm. After the wheel was rolled away I found a small clip on the floor. It looks like half of a paper clip...the kind that pushes through a hole and keeps things together. I assume it goes on the brake caliper but I don't see any holes in the rearward brake pad pin. Can someone post some detailed photos of the rear brake caliper so I can see where this clip goes?

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just looked at the service manual...I don't see that part for the rear brake caliper. Weird.

·
Registered
335 Posts
You should probably check an online parts fiche which will allow you to search by applicable area....I had a few stashed to my favourites but they have some how vanished or I would send you the links.

·
Registered
105 Posts
can you upload a pic of it?

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The front brakes uses two clips per caliper....not exactly the identical part, but very close. And I've confirmed that all four of those clips are still on those front calipers. I clean out the garage almost every day, so it's unlikely that this is a part from something else and had just been laying around. I've looked all over the bike and can not find where this came from, nor how it would drop off based on the work that I did. Since I had to grasp and pull on the rear caliper I just assumed if came from there, but the part diagram says no. I hate mysteries like this.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I'm far from an expert, but never seen that part before and I've had my calipers/rear wheel off a handful of times. Looks like a cotter pin off of my garage door opener to me!

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's a good guess, but I don't see any of those types of clips on my doors. What's strange is that those clips usually have to be pulled out...they just don't fall out. For now I'm assuming it didn't come off my FZ.

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
I can say with 97.25% certainty the clip you're holding did not come from a Yamaha, or any other Asian motorcycle.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
No, those pins your referring to are "cotter pins". The pin in question here is a "bridge pin" which isn't found anywhere on the FZ-09 except for the front brake pads.
Well I must have changed mine out to that type of pin because that's what I have installed on mine ! I must have changed them out at one point had to dig them out to see... stock ones are no longer on the bike !

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
George, seems like you've changed so much stuff on that bike even you can't remember what's stock.
Did I say stock? Ain't no stock parts on Abes bike!

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
That's just the workshop gremlins f**kin' with ya.
Someone, somewhere is missing that pin.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts