Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a 08 cbr1000rr and never rode it to its potential I have never been a fan of running high rpms but today I opened up the fz and it seemed to like the higher rpms so is this bike made to run close but not to close to the redline?? This thing is a beast btw did a ride through Shelby forrest park on some curvy roads and I fell in love...

·
Registered
34 Posts
I imagine the flat torque production after about 5000 RPM contributes a lot to it - but I believe, according to some of the Dyno's I've seen, the fz-09 builds HP all the way up to redline. I'm still in the breakin period on my bike, so I'm not running it terribly hard, but I've ran it to red line once or twice, and as best I can tell, it really doesn't let off on the power even all the way to red line.

Reactions: gearsmasher

·
Registered
473 Posts
Bike makes peak power below the redline so I don't think it's necessary to rev up to 11k.
I enjoy the incredible low and mid range power this engine produces.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
The FZ09 engine goes to redline very, very quickly and sometimes it's almost impossible to keep it out of the rev limiter. It's not going to hurt a thing to go there once in a while........that's what it's there for to keep you from over-revving the engine.

Reactions: FurY

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I ran it up to 9k today and just not use to that high rpm just don't want to damage anything...old school thumper is more what im use to...lol

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Under 4k. I like a boring, safe ride, where my wheels stay on the ground. I'm having the time of my life on this bike without going to redline.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Redline surprised me once today.......ruined a perfectly good wheelie too:cool:
I know, I know, but the kids in the school bus made me do it!!:angel9:

·
Registered
584 Posts
Under 4k. I like a boring, safe ride, where my wheels stay on the ground. I'm having the time of my life on this bike without going to redline.
Try 6... live it up!

Reactions: jmcghee41

·
Registered
957 Posts
Generally I don't so much pay attention to revs as I do try to keep it in 2nd and 3rd gear for as long as possible. I just love 2nd and 3rd gear fun. If I can avoid having to upshift into 4th, even at the cost of gas mileage, I will. For highway or anything else, though, I'll shift as soon as possible.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm not really sure I understand the question/meaning of this topic?

I run my RPM's anywhere from 1350 to redline. I typically don't watch my tach if I'm not racing. (Which I haven't done since the 80's) If I'm on a straight road with a speed limit of 45 or better, whatever RPM's it is in 6th gear. If I'm on a curvy road, whatever rpm's the situation calls for.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm not really sure I understand the question/meaning of this topic?

I run my RPM's anywhere from 1350 to redline. I typically don't watch my tach if I'm not racing. (Which I haven't done since the 80's) If I'm on a straight road with a speed limit of 45 or better, whatever RPM's it is in 6th gear. If I'm on a curvy road, whatever rpm's the situation calls for.
Im use to a old school thumper that dont like high rpm's just wanted to make sure if i was running at 7-8k wasnt gonna hurt anything....

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Redline surprised me once today.......ruined a perfectly good wheelie too:cool:
I know, I know, but the kids in the school bus made me do it!!:angel9:
You're a Hooligan I tell ya........A Hooligan!

Reactions: MoFZio and janzend

·
Registered
224 Posts
One of the reasons. I like this bike because at75mph you're still under/around 5k rpms. I got this bike for cruising.

Sent from my RM-877_nam_att_205 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
I hit the rev limiter way more than I should. I never hit the rev limiter on my 954.
Doug, I'm in that same boat. My track bike relines at 15K RPM and this one, not so much. Pretty easy to get to the RPM range that ends the party!

Reactions: DNFDOUG

·
Registered
225 Posts
You're a Hooligan I tell ya........A Hooligan!
No, more of a poser. I hadn't ridden in several days and just got carried away.....I just can't keep the wrist limp, it has a mind of it's own.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts