Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm at 2200 miles and only one oil change done at 600. I want to do the second but I'm not sure if I should go Full Synthetic or Conventional oil?

EDIT: Mobil1 and Autozone are giving $7-$10 coupons. Get it here

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
At 2200 miles your bike is more than broken in. Full synthetic is fine. My buddies EBR came new with Amzoil full synthetic. I could not believe it. My oil was changed three times by 2200 miles. I went to synthetic at my third oil change at 1000 miles.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
I changed oil at 20 miles, 100 miles and then again at 600 miles. The first two were dyno oil. The 600 mile was Mobil 1 Synthetic. I did my version of the Motoman break in.

Reactions: DNFDOUG

·
Registered
474 Posts
You know this is somewhat religious question / debate for some folks ? :)

Full Synth Rotella T-6 at 600 Miles (second oil change by then). Have about 3500 miles now, and running strong. Get the benefits of synthetic oil as soon as you can. :eagerness:

Reactions: BMcEL

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
I changed oil at 20 miles, 100 miles and then again at 600 miles. The first two were dyno oil. The 600 mile was Mobil 1 Synthetic. I did my version of the Motoman break in.
So, if I more or less repeat this process I'd be doing a version of the Triplethreat break in....???:confused:

·
Registered
652 Posts
I'm at 2200 miles and only one oil change done at 600. I want to do the second but I'm not sure if I should go Full Synthetic or Conventional oil?
When the temperature drops below freezing - and that's the only time synthetics are worth the extra cost.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
When the temperature drops below freezing - and that's the only time synthetics are worth the extra cost.
So those of us in the South don't (ever) benefit from Synthetics...???

·
Registered
768 Posts
An oil thread. I'll bite!
Heck, think about how many modern engines come with full-syn. oil from the factory.
Run the synthetic next change. It's broken in.
Faster warmups = better efficiency. Less wear is self-explanatory. Reduced oil breakdown means longer change intervals are possible. After that, just remember to avoid energy conserving oils with friction modifiers that are not wet clutch friendly and you're set.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Synthetic oil is made to have a more flat curve on a temperature vs viscosity graph . This means it keeps the desired properties over a wider range of temperatures. So yes it does benefit us unlucky folks in a cold climate but it can definitely provide more protection on a hot day or if running the triple a little harder then usual. :D

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Just drain the oil and fill it with brake fluid (and a new filter of course). Don't forget to top off your turn signal fluid.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Just drain the oil and fill it with brake fluid (and a new filter of course). Don't forget to top off your turn signal fluid.
He's kidding, folks!
But, a lady friend had her PT Cruiser serviced at a quick lube place and they topped off her brake fluid with power steering fluid.
It was not pretty.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Synthetic reduces the friction and the temperature, so the bike runs better, and runs longer. I have never been a penny pincher when it comes to oil. I don't eat Spam because it is cheap.
How much longer do you need it to run? What difference in engine life will there be between running mineral and synthetic?

I always buy the cheapest semi synth motorcycle oil I can on Ebay, change it at the recommended interval (6000 miles in this case) and have never had a 4 stroke engine die on me before I sold the bike on. That would be over 40 motorbikes.

In answer to the OP - if you really want to run fully synthetic oil then 2200 miles is plenty, but IMO it's a waste of money.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
I'd rather spend a bit more knowing/thinking/feeling I'm giving the engine the best of the best......

The answer to the "How Soon is too soon" is still open......:p

Reactions: Crosshairs

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'd rather spend a bit more knowing/thinking/feeling I'm giving the engine the best of the best......

The answer to the "How Soon is too soon" is still open......:p
Sure. It's your money and your "conscience" for want of a better word, but the best of the best is way way above the oil specified by Yamaha to give good performance and service life........ so therefore is it neccessary? I'd rather save that extra cash and put it towards suspension, tyres and fuel.

"Too soon" is before sufficient bedding in has occurred.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
There is no "too soon". ...modern engines can run synthetic right from the start, and many of them do.
I went full synthetic at my first oil change...which was about 300 miles.
as for the conventional VS synthetic debate...Today's conventional oils are much better than they were 10 years ago, but they are still not as good as the full synthetics at holding up to heat, and they never will be . ... I have no problem spending a few bucks extra to give my engines the best I can...every single machine I own has synthetic is it...I mean every one...if it takes oil, it gets synthetic. .

Reactions: Steve101 and Pacer

·
Registered
570 Posts
All synthetics are not the same, there is a big difference between a Group III synthetic and a Group V synthetic, even though both are classified as "full synthetic."

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
My first hand experience is with a used, early '90s Toyota PU with an R22 motor and around 35k miles on it. When adjusting the valves I noticed the underside of the the cast aluminum valve cover was covered in thick, black, burned on oil sludge. I changed the oil to full synthetic and next time the valves were adjusted the underside of the valve cover was literally sparkling cast aluminum clean. The synthetic not only didn't leave any sludge in the engine, it cleaned off the existing sludge.

Reactions: DNFDOUG

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
All synthetics are not the same, there is a big difference between a Group III synthetic and a Group V synthetic, even though both are classified as "full synthetic."
I have to assume Group V is the Highest Class of Synthetic and is ideal for the Rapid Red FZ-09 :p

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
So, if I more or less repeat this process I'd be doing a version of the Triplethreat break in....???:confused:
It will only work if you roll back the odometer on your bike to zero, Steve! Or better yet, bring me the bike and leave it for a couple of weekends and I'll do it for you.......bring fresh tires though....preferably, some Michelin Power Cups "B" for the rear and "VB" for the front.....oh, and DON'T search through the US129photos.com website for that time period! Deal? :cool:

Reactions: Steve101
1 - 20 of 33 Posts