Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've got a Dynatek Fusion EFI setup coming soon and I'm debating putting a set of AIS block off plates in while I have it apart. The reasoning being that the O2 optimizer on the tuner will read more accurately if the AIS isn't pumping extra air into the exhaust stream. I have a M4 slip on and I'm getting tired of the popping on decel and under engine braking, and I hate to run an engine lean in the first place. So thoughts? Opinions?

·
Registered
833 Posts
The block off plates will fit the bill here. You will curb your decel pop and lose a little weight getting rid of the little pump and associated plumbing. Great time to do this while you are in there.

·
Registered
226 Posts
The popping never bothered me. In fact I thought it was kind of cool. That said, I installed block-offs when I went in under the tank.

As for running lean, block offs will not change the mixture. The AIS is all after-the-fact, combustion wise. It only injects fresh air into the exhaust stream to help with emissions, and if I'm not mistaken, it's only on decel, so the O2 sensor is likely unaffected. I have to believe the engineers were smart enough to set these up so as not to have the AIS system skewing readings from the O2 sensor.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have to believe the engineers were smart enough to set these up so as not to have the AIS system skewing readings from the O2 sensor.
I was kind of leaning towards this logic myself. They don't design bikes for one of the world's biggest companies because they half-ass it.
The concern for running lean was more for the stock fueling to meet emissions plus the elimination of the cat and stock muffler, not so much the effects of the AIS system.

I'll probably add the plates since I'll be there already. That way it is already gone if I get the chance to dyno tune it. Our drag bikes and our customer's bikes at work go to a tuner a few hours away, so at some point I may be able to slip mine onto the trailer on short notice.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So just to get this straight. Since the ais has nothing to do with the mixture only gets rid of the backfire, it's not necessary to get one unless I want to use a power commander?

·
Registered
226 Posts
So just to get this straight. Since the ais has nothing to do with the mixture only gets rid of the backfire, it's not necessary to get one unless I want to use a power commander?
Quite the opposite; the AIS would induce popping in the exhaust as it adds air/oxygen to the exhaust stream which ignites unburnt fuel (thereby reducing emissions; it's sole purpose).

The only reasons to disable the AIS are saving weight and getting correct AFR ratios with an aftermarket AFR sensor, i.e. Autotune. A standard Power Commander without the Autotune sensor does not require the disabling of the AIS sensor as it will use the OEM O2 sensor if I recall correctly.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Does anyone have a picture of the AIS system and the hoses that are routed to it? I am removing the tank and air box tomorrow and I know that I want to remove the AIS.

Any write ups on this?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts