Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

Registered
With a level head, you'll be fine starting on a 09 as an adult. I would've killed myself had this been my first bike as a teen.

These are deceptively quick bikes. They're so quiet and so smooth that you can really build speed quicker than you realize. But if you half way pay attention to what you are doing it's not a hard bike to ride.

The internet builds these bikes up to be some kind of maniacal machine that cannot keep both tires on the the ground and actively tries to buck you off at every touch of the throttle. Nope. If you yank on the throttle and hold it, you'd better be ready and paying attention. Otherwise, they are just super nice bikes that tug along effortlessly at any speed. I'm sure it deflates the egos of some owners who want to be hooligan king of the internet, but these aren't even sport bikes ( and the suspension proves it). It's just a big ujm with really good power. A well polished CB 1100 F, of sorts.

My FZ07 is WAY more prone to accidental wheelies than my 09. You kinda have to work at it to get the front up on an 09, the 07 pops up instantly. After 25k miles that bike still sneaks wheelies in when I'm not paying attention. And people call them beginner bikes 馃し

I wouldn't be scared of a used one, though. I saved $4k buying mine with 3k miles on it. I almost bought a '15 with 800 ( yes, eight hundred) miles for $5k, but I didn't want to drive 12 hrs. There's some deals out there.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
With a level head, you'll be fine starting on a 09 as an adult. I would've killed myself had this been my first bike as a teen.

These are deceptively quick bikes. They're so quiet and so smooth that you can really build speed quicker than you realize. But if you half way pay attention to what you are doing it's not a hard bike to ride.

The internet builds these bikes up to be some kind of maniacal machine that cannot keep both tires on the the ground and actively tries to buck you off at every touch of the throttle. Nope. If you yank on the throttle and hold it, you'd better be ready and paying attention. Otherwise, they are just super nice bikes that tug along effortlessly at any speed. I'm sure it deflates the egos of some owners who want to be hooligan king of the internet, but these aren't even sport bikes ( and the suspension proves it). It's just a big ujm with really good power. A well polished CB 1100 F, of sorts.

My FZ07 is WAY more prone to accidental wheelies than my 09. You kinda have to work at it to get the front up on an 09, the 07 pops up instantly. After 25k miles that bike still sneaks wheelies in when I'm not paying attention. And people call them beginner bikes 馃し

I wouldn't be scared of a used one, though. I saved $4k buying mine with 3k miles on it. I almost bought a '15 with 800 ( yes, eight hundred) miles for $5k, but I didn't want to drive 12 hrs. There's some deals out there.
you nailed it, I wouldn鈥檛 want an FZ09 (especially a 14) but the new 9er with the suspension tweaks and tech is a different story. thanks for the reply!

Registered
You really have no idea what you are talking about. You come here seeking knowledge of experienced riders and then try to make a winning argument against their advice.
This is just totally wrong; the initial question was "When are 2022 MT-09's hitting the showrooms?" themyst did not "come here seeking knowledge of experienced riders" You don't need to get into a mood just because he doesn't go along with your experienced advice.

I really hate this kind of mentality. It is like a Yamaha mechanic who told me off the other day for tightening the chain too much, he accused me for not being able to read the manual and said he had been doing this for 25 years, so he knew what he was talking about. After he spoke to a Yamaha rep he was proven wrong. HE didn't know what he was talking about.

If this was a bike from back in the day without driver aids and no ABS (when all the experienced riders learned to ride) I would definitely agree. But chuck this bike in D-mode 4, all the driver aids in 3, and turn on cornering ABS, and you probably have the safest learner bike on the planet. Everybody has a different learning curve, as I said before, I grew out of my Trident 660 after just 2 months.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
Hey - Same as me, and I just punt in a order for a 2022 model (-: First Bike, and got my driver L in Oktober to. :)
put 600 miles (~1000 km) on my bike since I got it in early November, amazing! I use it 80/20 highway/local and haven鈥檛 gone over 75 mph yet, but it鈥檚 ultimately very well behaved until you don鈥檛 want it to behave.
Edit- I also have a friend with a 14 FZ09 who I swapped bikes with for a few miles, and yeah I can see why people said not a great beginner bike, the throttle mapping is front loaded and quite difficult to modulate (used standard mode) compared to a 21 MT09 which is docile in modes 3/4. He mentioned the 21 has a much better seat and the tank shape is so much better contoured, didn鈥檛 really comment on power delivery (he didn鈥檛 change my drive mode settings)

Registered
2022 Yamaha MT-09 SP
My deposit switched from a 2021 year model SP to a 2022 year model. Idk what happened but I don鈥檛 think MN got any 21 model SP鈥檚.
Dealer told me they have 3 slots of 22 SP鈥檚 with an ETA of January so it鈥檚 looking good!

Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
This place is showing this in inventory. They are in Pawtucket RI. I bought a bike from them about 3 years ago and it was the most straight up least bullshit purchase I've ever made for any type of vehicle. They are a small old time shop that's kind of hidden in a residential neighborhood and possibly might still have the bike in inventory.

PS: If anyone ends up buying it, you should give me a finders fee.

Registered
2022 MT-09 SP
Congrats! What store did you get it from? How much was ADM?
Thanks, I bought it from Valley Cycle in Bakersfield. In addition to MSRP and freight, this dealer charged $795 ADM and $85 document fee. Compared with bike purchases I've made in years past, I find those fees to be high.

But I called about 10 dealers closer to me before calling Valley (100 miles north of where I live in LA) and all of them had ADMs between $600 and $2,500 AND deposits that would be ahead of mine. So, I was happy to buy this from a dealer with a shipping date in the near future from Yamaha's warehouse and to no earlier deposits.

In today's market, that ADM and two weeks from deposit to delivery seemed like a win!
It's beautiful! I think it looks much better than the 2021, and the blue logo on the air intake looks great. Mine shoud be arriving soon, eta jan/feb. 馃槑 I am so happy that Yamaha created this bike!
Thanks and good luck getting your bike soon! Regarding 21 versus 22, I'm ambivalent. I think I prefer the black tank sides of the 21 but I but I prefer the orientation of the blue logo on the 22's intakes. Both excellent paint schemes in my book!

Registered
My 2 bob's worth, I put in a deposit for an MT-09 SP '22 model as I really wanted the cruise control. While I was in the Dealership they tried to interest me in a '21 model with less than 900 klm on it. Well it looked nice, had an Akra pipe on it and a few other bits of bling. I found out later that the bloke who bought it was an experienced rider but as he was going through a roundabout he opened it up a bit too early and it spat him off, (they put it down to the side of the new tyre not gripping).
The sales rep said end of Jan for the new bike, nearly into Feb now, I am like a 4 year old on Christmas Eve just waiting.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts