Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive me for being a complete newbie, but I'm in the market for buying a 2021(2022) MT-09, but does Yamaha typically release 2022 models toward the end of 2021 (like cars typically do)?

Obviously, I'd prefer a 2022 for resale value, just wondering if anyone's heard of when the new year will hit the dealer stocks. Haven't seen any 2022 availability anywhere. Thanks!

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha MT-09 SP
35 Posts
no word yet on the 22 year models (that I am aware of). I highly doubt they'll make any changes to the 09 and 07 but we may see updated XSR's. Haven't heard anything to confirm that, however.

·
Registered
57 Posts
In April, 2021, Yamaha Motor Europe CEO, Eric de Seynes, made a a public apology to dealers and customers regarding product delays.

2021 is in the area of uncharted waters - the world of manufacturing has never been in this place before so it's impossible to predict what will happen (especially not based on experience from prior years). Chip manufacturers are forecasting delivery backorders into 2023. Meanwhile, Yamaha hasn't been able to fill all their new bike orders for 2021 yet (my local dealer has a MT-09 SP order still unfilled from May - six months ago). My own 2021 MT-09 shows a manufacture date of Nov 2020 but it didn't arrive to a dealer showroom until Oct 2021 (11-months later). It seems to me that, unless Yamaha is planning tweaks to the 2022 models, they could just start calling any bike not yet delivered overseas a "2022" model. But depending on how they register new VIN numbers with national governments and the insurance industry, they might have to continue delivering "2021" models for many months to come.

·
Registered
428 Posts
In April, 2021, Yamaha Motor Europe CEO, Eric de Seynes, made a a public apology to dealers and customers regarding product delays.

2021 is in the area of uncharted waters - the world of manufacturing has never been in this place before so it's impossible to predict what will happen (especially not based on experience from prior years). Chip manufacturers are forecasting delivery backorders into 2023. Meanwhile, Yamaha hasn't been able to fill all their new bike orders for 2021 yet (my local dealer has a MT-09 SP order still unfilled from May - six months ago). My own 2021 MT-09 shows a manufacture date of Nov 2020 but it didn't arrive to a dealer showroom until Oct 2021 (11-months later). It seems to me that, unless Yamaha is planning tweaks to the 2022 models, they could just start calling any bike not yet delivered overseas a "2022" model. But depending on how they register new VIN numbers with national governments and the insurance industry, they might have to continue delivering "2021" models for many months to come.
True, many dealers still haven't received certain 2021 models yet... 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good to know! I guess I won’t be waiting to buy it then. (PS: first bike zero experience on a motorcycle, but I’ve ridden/driven everything else on wheels, including cars, e-bikes, e-unicycles, e-boards) fun and efficient in NYC but useless outside of a large city.

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
3,089 Posts
Good to know! I guess I won’t be waiting to buy it then. (PS: first bike zero experience on a motorcycle, but I’ve ridden/driven everything else on wheels, including cars, e-bikes, e-unicycles, e-boards) fun and efficient in NYC but useless outside of a large city.
So why an MT09?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So why an MT09?
One thing I always learned is to buy something you won’t outgrow up front, you’ll spend less money that way.

With that said, the electronic nanny systems especially anti-wheelie and drive modes sound like exactly what I need to step up gradually over time instead of buying a bike too slow then wanting to upgrade.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Seems like a sketchy plan, frankly. Any clean, FZ-07/MT-07 would be a very acceptable first bike for city use (especially where theft is an issue) at MUCH lower cost and might even be more fun. Plus, with a gen-1or gen-2 MT-07, you stand at least a chance of finding factory parts (and accessories) if you need them. If you buy a redesigned 2021/2022 model, who knows how long the wait for parts will be. Anyway, your chances of never dropping a first bike are almost zero. Even with protection in place (frame sliders, axle sliders, engine case covers), you’re still likely to need some replacement parts (hand and foot levers mostly).

·
Registered
5 Posts
One thing I always learned is to buy something you won’t outgrow up front, you’ll spend less money that way.

With that said, the electronic nanny systems especially anti-wheelie and drive modes sound like exactly what I need to step up gradually over time instead of buying a bike too slow then wanting to upgrade.

I understand your theory, but I do not believe it applies to motorcycles. You are considering a bike that is recommend for experienced riders. I recommend you buy a 15 year old junker to learn on. When you drop it you wont be upset.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Seems like a sketchy plan, frankly. Any clean, FZ-07/MT-07 would be a very acceptable first bike for city use (especially where theft is an issue) at MUCH lower cost and might even be more fun. Plus, with a gen-1or gen-2 MT-07, you stand at least a chance of finding factory parts (and accessories) if you need them. If you buy a redesigned 2021/2022 model, who knows how long the wait for parts will be. Anyway, your chances of never dropping a first bike are almost zero. Even with protection in place (frame sliders, axle sliders, engine case covers), you’re still likely to need some replacement parts (hand and foot levers mostly).
Believe me, I was all but set on a used MT07 initially, however these used bike prices (in my area) are ridiculous. In many cases, they want $1000 under what the bike would cost new, or in some cases they want more than it costs new. Not to mention, I really don't want to go outside 50 miles to pick up my first bike, especially as a new rider. Now, I could spend $7600 on an MT07 new or spend another $1700 and get the MT09 with far greater safety features and drive modes. I'm also an older guy with a kid so I have some level of restraint. Given what I know in the used car (or PEV) markets, you are potentially inheriting someone else's problems, and that's not worth potentially saving $1000 over.

I have zero interest in adding any performance mods to the bike. Definitely some reversible comfort mods though (e.g. phone holder, gas tank bag, heated grips, rear rack / bag, windscreen).

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
When you add in the cost of insurance, replacement parts, and hospital bills, does that financial plan still work out?

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Here’s my rant from just a couple of days ago, so I don’t have to waste any more time on this. Do what you want to do, but when it all goes pear-shaped, don’t say you weren’t warned…

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'd have the same advice as everyone else if you were a young guy with balls of steel, but with restraint already built into you I think the MT09 is a good choice. Its getting close to being half the power of other bikes out there (Ducati Streetfighter for instance). What you're saying about the electronics and rider modes is very true too, you can build yourself up through the modes. People get snooty about these things because they have spent a lifetime going up through the biking ranks. Buy what you want Themyst and good luck with the search.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts