Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2016 FZ-09 (blue, not California)

Ive been having a sluggish start for a bit and thinking it was because I was taking short trips and draining the battery.

Got the battery sorted and it is charged, cranks well, and overall is good.

I go to start the bike and it lights up, primes readily, no errors on the dash, and it is sluggish to start on the first crank, and usually gets going on the second. It sounds like it’s wheezing it’s way to starting, acts like a dying battery, but as I said, it’s actually good.

If i ride it and stop somewhere and try to start it again while it’s hot, it just doesn’t turn at all. Like it’s seized up. The longer it sits the more it will crank (like something is loosening up) and it will eventually start.

When running, no issues whatsoever. Runs great. Just won’t start readily or after it is warmed up until it cools. What gives? Where do I begin?

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
1,326 Posts
IMHO I'd start with a new battery. How old is your current battery? They can 'fail' in a way where they don't work well when hot, although it is more normal to have batteries fail when it is 'cold'. This (hot failure) is especially true if it is a lithium battery rather than a traditional lead acid type.
Only other thing I can think of is maybe a bad starter, you could check the starter by jumping battery hot directly to the starter lead to see if it cranks 'normal' even when it is hot.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IMHO I'd start with a new battery. How old is your current battery? They can 'fail' in a way where they don't work well when hot, although it is more normal to have batteries fail when it is 'cold'. This (hot failure) is especially true if it is a lithium battery rather than a traditional lead acid type.
Only other thing I can think of is maybe a bad starter, you could check the starter by jumping battery hot directly to the starter lead to see if it cranks 'normal' even when it is hot.
Thanks! It won’t start with a jump pack attached at the dealership and it’s a lead battery, so more likely the starter from your reply.

How do I check the stater as you described? I’m a basic mechanic and electrical sketches me out.

·
Registered
5,797 Posts
I suspect a seized bearing or such in the starter. When it gets hot it binds more.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
How do I check the stater as you described? I’m a basic mechanic and electrical sketches me out.
With the bike in NEUTRAL, you can put a battery positive lead to the terminal lug on the starter directly. Ground the battery to the engine block. This bypasses the starter solenoid and will let the starter spin. Note: the starter will continue to spin until you remove the terminal.

I must reiterate... in NEUTRAL, as this bypasses all safety mechanisms.

You could of course also remove the starter and do the same test on a bench.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts