Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Banned
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i dont see how you guys are having this bike wheelie so easily. im in second gear 6 k rpm and i roll onto the throttle in a mode and the front wheel does get off the ground. what am i missing? do i have to instantly full throttle it or do i have to pull up on the handle bars

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Personal question: How much do you weigh?
Personal experience: Comes right up...roll throttle in 1st...roll again w/ wheel down comes up in 2nd...sometimes does the same in 3rd. Weight: 185 no gear.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
If you can't wheelie this bike, you're doing something way wrong. Check out some wheelie tutorial videos on YouTube.

·
Banned
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
only time i wheelie was i was in first gear going 10 mph and i snatched the throttle and it came up a couple inches

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Well you are bit heavier than most on this forum. I never had to try to wheelie. Power wheelies in 1st and 2nd are super easy. Instead of rolling on the throttle, try hitting the throttle hard and going WOT. It should come up. But I am 5'9 163 lbs. Also as said previously, cover that rear brake, in case the bike tries to come over on you.

·
Registered
806 Posts
2nd gear, going uphill roll off the throttle then snap it back on kind of fast. Please don't flip it you'll be mad at me! Not to big of a hill either. The hill keeps your momentum down and makes it easier.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Sit up or lean back, don't lean forward.
Get used to it in STD made, then when you are use to how that feels (whether or not you actually get it up, handsome), do it again in A mode. A mode will give the bike that bit of extra oomph to get the wheel up if you still need it.

Or buy a turbo kit. That'd work too.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Learn to clutch it up at low speed... Helluva lot safer, and more controllable.

Yank a handful of throttle will work, too. It's just not controllable, and you gain speed extremely fast...so when you wreck, it hurts more...

·
Registered
464 Posts
If your having a bit of trouble, another thing that might help is to try and bounce the front end and give it some throttle as the forks decompress, that helped me to wheelie when I was learning on my last bike

·
Registered
806 Posts
If your having a bit of trouble, another thing that might help is to try and bounce the front end and give it some throttle as the forks decompress, that helped me to wheelie when I was learning on my last bike
Yep that off and on the throttle is what you need to learn.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Elevation makes a big difference too. When I was at sea level I power wheelie in 3rd. Since I moved to the Wasatch front, I can't do powerwheelies in 2nd. Only clutch up. Powerwheelies in 1st are still a rush, but you can't run very long or you hit the rev-limiter. And the bike is a little two twitchy for me to successfully up shift on one wheel.

·
Registered
101 Posts
i dont see how you guys are having this bike wheelie so easily. im in second gear 6 k rpm and i roll onto the throttle in a mode and the front wheel does get off the ground. what am i missing? do i have to instantly full throttle it or do i have to pull up on the handle bars
And people wonder why the crash rate is so high on this bike. Really, you're asking for advice on how to do a wheelie? I got some advice for ya. Go buy a small cheap motocross bike and learn how to wheelie that first.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts