Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my history of bikes are as follow: Ninja 500, Bandit 600 and FZ09. I've never wheeled a bike before until I've purchased my FZ. My first wheelie came from when I wanted to take off on my Bandit (last week of me being the main user and now my GF uses it). That got me shaking my hands when I got home and off the bike.

With the FZ, I never try to wheelie it since i'm afraid of dropping her. I have to admit that I've played with the idea a couple of times in which I tried but failed to get the wheel up. Lately though it has been really different. Every time I try to leave off the line fast, the front wheel would come up and i'm having to lean forward to keep it down. Some times it would even come up with me leaning forward. It tends to happen when the RPM gets mid to about 9k.

Is this what you guys are experiencing when accelerating from a stop? I mean i'm not really complaining about it I just want to know if anyone else is experiencing what I've been experiencing.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Crack the throttle open in 1, 2, and 3rd, and yeah, the front will come up. Harder in 3rd, but it does happen.

Power wheelies are a little harder to control than hitting the "wheelie switch", but they're easily achieved on the FZ09.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Personally, I tend to short shift my bike a lot. I'm rarely above 7k :( I started getting over that rpm mark this past week :)

·
Registered
835 Posts
Reactions: triplethreat

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know this was really stupid of me but I wanted to experience the bike hitting the rev limiter.....I was surprise that when the limiter is hit, that the bike is still manageable. Very different from when my car (06 Mustang GT) hit the limiter. On my car, it feels like someone slammed on the brakes but on the bike it just stops the power.....It is a weird sensation.

When I get on the throttle with 2nd gear, the wheel does still come up but I'm not like fully open though and it comes up around 7k (I think). Every time I'm higher than 2nd gear, I'm sure that my rpm is not in the power band :)

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Haha.... I rode a quarter mile 4th gear one the other night. Cruised around a couple easy turns on the back wheel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: MoFZio

·
Registered
464 Posts
i always mess around with 2nd gear wheelies, however i feel like the rear shock being so spongey makes it harder for me to get the balance point on this bike

·
Registered
1,744 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When a wheelie happens with me, it is with me sitting on the seat and leading forward.

On that video, you you standing up?

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
When a wheelie happens with me, it is with me sitting on the seat and leading forward.

On that video, you you standing up?
Yep lol

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
what gear?
I havent tried standups on the FZ yet.. my r6 i can ride em for miles ;D
3rd or 4th around 6500. No clutch, just A mode and a little tug... ;)

·
Registered
768 Posts
I know this was really stupid of me but I wanted to experience the bike hitting the rev limiter.....I was surprise that when the limiter is hit, that the bike is still manageable. Very different from when my car (06 Mustang GT) hit the limiter. On my car, it feels like someone slammed on the brakes but on the bike it just stops the power.....It is a weird sensation.

When I get on the throttle with 2nd gear, the wheel does still come up but I'm not like fully open though and it comes up around 7k (I think). Every time I'm higher than 2nd gear, I'm sure that my rpm is not in the power band :)
I hit the limiter on my former DL1000 in 3rd gear mid-pass one afternoon and it felt like the engine just died. Not good at all!
Nice to know the FZ isn't so abrupt.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I hit the limiter on my former DL1000 in 3rd gear mid-pass one afternoon and it felt like the engine just died. Not good at all!
Nice to know the FZ isn't so abrupt.
It actually has this nice sound when it hit it but I'm not planning on hitting the limiter againt. I actually had to try to hit the limiter with how I ride.

I don't think I will ever have the nerve to stand up on my bike to do a wheelie. The last time I stood up, it was because my butt was numb from the seat.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have problems trying to wheelie my mt09.
I think the small size of my testicles interferes with being able to open the throttle fast enough.
Actually what I realized the reason why I'm starting to wheelie more is because I'm keeping the throttle open longer. If I start to accelerate hard but keep on accelerating for 3-7 seconds, the front wheel start to come up for me. I'm sure the more open the throttle the shorter time it will take for the front to come up :) .

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Actually what I realized the reason why I'm starting to wheelie more is because I'm keeping the throttle open longer. If I start to accelerate hard but keep on accelerating for 3-7 seconds, the front wheel start to come up for me. I'm sure the more open the throttle the shorter time it will take for the front to come up :) .
Lol... Yep, that's typically how it works

1 - 20 of 25 Posts