Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I can get the front to pop with throttle up in first and second gear no problem, I guess keeping it up is a matter of staying on it and getting over the fear of looping

Can someone give me a brief idea of how to clutch wheelie this bike? My old yzf was impossible to clutch wheelie in second, first was hard unless the tank was empty, and even then it came up so violently I put it down quickly.

What's the secret? How fast am I letting out the clutch? Argh

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did. But I didn't see the in depth explanation I was looking for. I was hoping someone can give me the little hint I need to make it all come together.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I'll let someone else answer about the clutch. I only put a few miles on the 09 before winter, but this is worth a try given the 09's power.

Cruising along in 3rd gear mid RPM standard or A mode and sitting up right, close the the throttle, the engine braking will dive the front, just as the front reaches as low as it will go whack the throttle open.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
365 Posts
For me i used to ride dirtbikes and quads in the sand alot and I would always wheelie so I got a good feel for it and the balance point. For me its mid rpm's clutch and gas at same time quickly and then release quickly. This happens quickly. You will get a feal for timing with practice Just be carefull not to rev to high and release or your back will meet pavement. Also always have rear brake at the ready just in case. Just dont slam the brake otherwise your nuts will meet the tank quite aggressively.

·
Registered
238 Posts

and a more current one...skip to 3:25 if you like, they just cover the safety spiel before that point.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have found that first gear, compaired to my gsxr1000, is quite touchy and kind of sketchy to ride out wheelies in. Once I get it up which is easy the throttle is so touch and with all that torque is hard to stay smooth on one. I am no pro rider and it is easy to pull up in first but keeping it up has given me a few scares so far. I have only had my 9 for a month now but have found second gear quite confortable to ride it out in. The videos above have great descriptions but not to many people are good with those low speed wheelies. I would sudgest once you get accustom to the initial jerk from popping the clutch use second gear around 30 ish miles an hour. Use the mechanics shown in those videos and usually I have to lean back a little in second where as in first I can lean foward to help dampen the jult on the clutch engagemnet. If you find in second, as I did, that the bike at 30 mphs is just breaking the rear tire free you will need to lean farther back with more of a strait armed aproach. Once I made that adjustment the tire comes off the ground really smoothly in second and actually doesn't give a bad initial shock. practice practice practice. Like they say in the videos just pop the wheel off the ground and put it back down until you get confortable. Then gradually hold it longer and longer until you can ride out the entire gear. My worst fear is looping the bike so I try to never come close to balance point wheelies and stay perfectly safe in not doing so.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have found that first gear, compaired to my gsxr1000, is quite touchy and kind of sketchy to ride out wheelies in. Once I get it up which is easy the throttle is so touch and with all that torque is hard to stay smooth on one. I am no pro rider and it is easy to pull up in first but keeping it up has given me a few scares so far. I have only had my 9 for a month now but have found second gear quite confortable to ride it out in. The videos above have great descriptions but not to many people are good with those low speed wheelies. I would sudgest once you get accustom to the initial jerk from popping the clutch use second gear around 30 ish miles an hour. Use the mechanics shown in those videos and usually I have to lean back a little in second where as in first I can lean foward to help dampen the jult on the clutch engagemnet. If you find in second, as I did, that the bike at 30 mphs is just breaking the rear tire free you will need to lean farther back with more of a strait armed aproach. Once I made that adjustment the tire comes off the ground really smoothly in second and actually doesn't give a bad initial shock. practice practice practice. Like they say in the videos just pop the wheel off the ground and put it back down until you get confortable. Then gradually hold it longer and longer until you can ride out the entire gear. My worst fear is looping the bike so I try to never come close to balance point wheelies and stay perfectly safe in not doing so.
Awesome description & instruction.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Never wheelied on a bike, and if I do, it will be by accident. Some folks are good at making a high-speed machine dance, with learned talent, and balance. I can't afford the insurance. Fun, yeah..but pretty risky. Traffic is enough risk, and avoiding the blind drivers. Keep that trick-stuff on the lots, or tracks. An ol' bud of mine could cut smiley-faces, on asphalt, on reputedly one of the fastest bikes in Springfield ( named 'Jiggy'). Now Raymond loved tricks, and his bike had been parked for some time, due to his casual accumulation of tickets, but his tricks in traffic were the ONE thing I couldn't respect about him. God bless Raymond, struck-down, by some drunk fool, on a suspended license. Ray was testing a kart frame, being towed...never got to ride with Ray, probably would've been cussing him, at every wheelie, hah hah !! ( NOTE: I never said that I wouldn't 'wrap it up', on a very lonely straight-section of two-lane...)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts