Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike seems to always want to track to the left, I have 2500 miles on the bike now and the tracking issue seems to be getting worse. Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue or has any experience doing a wheel alignment on the FZ-09, any tips or advice would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
My bike seems to always want to track to the left, I have 2500 miles on the bike now and the tracking issue seems to be getting worse. Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue or has any experience doing a wheel alignment on the FZ-09, any tips or advice would be much appreciated!
This subject comes up on every forum. Interstates and Freeways are NOT flat. They always have a slant so water drains off. In fact...many backroads are not perfectly flat either. To off set the slant...it's necessary to steer in the opposite direction. If your bike wasn't crashed....then you have to reason to worry.

·
Registered
72 Posts
#1. Check wheel alignment using the string method.

#2. Have someone ride behind you, many ride their bikes sitting at an angle.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I don't think it's the road slant since it's pulling to the left (usually uphill in AZ). With 2500 miles - your tires could be worn unevenly (pretty normal) - check the tread depth closely comparing left to right. If they're uneven - then go out and practice your right handers until you wear the right side down - it's more fun than buying new tires. Most people lean farther one way than the other - and on any given road the left handers will be wider so you could be favoring the left turns, and wearing the left sides of your tires more.

If you don't think that is it, then you could have a couple of other things going on. The most likely is that your rear tire is out of alignment. First off - check the marks on the swingarm and check if the axle is adjusted to matching marks - sometimes they move. If they match up - then you're going to need to get the rear end off the ground to check the rest. The manufacturers have gotten better at making the alignment marks even - but sometimes they are off (mine are pretty good). If you have a chain alignment tool then check that first - if you don't have one then they are an inexpensive but valuable tool. If that's okay, then either use a metal bar (flat bars are fairly cheap at Home Depot) to hold up against the rear tire and measure how far it is from the front wheel - or use the string method (see the links below). If that's good - then use a plumb bob to hang down and ensure that the rear tire is centered in the frame. My 2006 Vstrom 1000 was off-center - and I had to buy spacers to correct it. If everything still looks good - then check your front wheel. Your front forks can get tweaked by hitting a pothole - or by some moron backing a car into the front end when you're parked (I've had it happen). Align the front tire with the rear, and visually check the handle bars - are they perfectly even? If not - then you can loosen the triple clamps and the front axle, stand with your legs holding the front wheel - and pull on the bars - then check it again. Make any changes in small increments.

This one is long - but touches on several ways to check it.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I bought a Motion Pro alignment tool (thanks DNF Doug) that attaches to the rear sprocket, It has a rod that projects forward along the chain. My chain was too tight and out of alignment at delivery. I like the tool, but I ended up having to take the chain guard off when I used it (that sounded really trivial).

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
I bought a Motion Pro alignment tool (thanks DNF Doug) that attaches to the rear sprocket, It has a rod that projects forward along the chain. My chain was too tight and out of alignment at delivery. I like the tool, but I ended up having to take the chain guard off when I used it (that sounded really trivial).
I tried mine underneath the chain. I had to lay on the floor to sight it with a flashlight but much better than trying to get a good read under the chain guard.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Left turns are longer than right turns, in town.....

·
Registered
514 Posts
http://s149.photobucket.com/user/wa...Float Axle Setup_zpsiaqvyy9c.mp4.html?filters[user]=42802070&filters[recent]=1&filters[publicOnly]=1&sort=1&o=0

When I think of alignment, both front and rear are more set in a static condition. Rear chain is another thread addressed. When the bike is new, bought used, or has the steering bearings greased per owner's manual interval, my front axle does not hang up on my fork alignment. I may track just a little off and the gyro effect sort of keeps me upright. But, if I am at the crest of that rain washing angle of pitch, might the forks have a dragging angle of direction, rather, not in a static position?

The one fork is set to factory spec. The other fork floats till the axle can screw into the one side by hand; spinning the threaded axle into the other fork side. It may be that subtle a drift in steering. I just magnified the effect if the one fork was farther down or up from the other. You couldn't tell by looking at both forks out of the top crown.

Signed,
NOLTT (no one listens to turtle)

·
Registered
309 Posts
2500 miles, I suspect those are OEM tires, may be they are misaligned at the time of assembly?
Did you notice this recently or from the beginning? May be some pictures of your tires, might help?

·
Registered
1,802 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
And the next thing comes to mind is the new owner signing off on the PDI. That means 'adjust chain out of the crate' is a tight chain so it does not rock out of the crate and begin momentum while being shipped>> boat/truck. How many complaints are we having here, and where is the bulletin for poor alignment there is a handling problem?

Special alignment? It's; 'my eyes got me caught out'; or it's; 'mine line right up no prob.' So, no recall of the swing arm, no bulletin of special care on the owner's manual in red or highlighted in a box about this has changed since both adjusters landed on the swing arm?

Spin the rear wheel and let it statically stop. Slap the chain between the sprocket. Was the chain hugging either side or could you swing both sides being about even is the roller between the sprocket tooth.

Signed,
NOLTT

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
Ignore the alignment marks. Check alignment carefully via the string method, or specific tool. Also align the forks by loosening the axle pinch bolt, bouncing the forks and make sure the axle end is flush with the fork clamp when you tighten.

·
Registered
514 Posts
And you wonder why I find cause for argument. The bore holes in the fork upper and lower are machined wrong. The frame bore holes are out of line. Even the swing arm is cast offset. So I home the nut and bolt into the swing, count the head hex turns as I paint one hex solid, the opposite hex a line? So I know a half turn from so many turns out, I match the other bolt as to equal turns out?

Was there ever a recall on any swing arm from any of the big4 family being out of line to cause injury? Are we saying the swing is out of spec at any X to Y point(s). So that would be the adjust bolt hole to the swing arm's center pivot point. If I add the in and out slop of the thread to thread, add each hex, how close am I now in precision?

Do I need a hand holding tool for this?

Signed,
NOLTT (no one listens to turtle)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts