Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cruising 55+ mph 160*F
<35 180 *F
Heavy stop and go, under 10 mph 210-218 *F

I'm concerned about the high Temps in stop and go that seems high to me i

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I regularly see similar temps if moving at less than 20 mph, especially when sitting in traffic. Probably not helping that the damn fan doesn't kick on til you hit 219. The upside is that I'm vaporizing any moisture that might be in the oil...

·
Registered
16 Posts
you definitely wont be the only one, mine runs 160s cruising but as soon as i hit some stop start traffic its pushing the 190-200s.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Mine runs the same as yours. I got stuck in traffic 2 weeks ago - 42F outside and the bike still hit 218f

·
Registered
429 Posts
Ok I'm much less concerned hearing I'm not the only one seeing 219*. That kind of worried me
Is your fan blowing at that temp? It hasn't been warm enough this year for my fan to have kicked on but last summer in the heat, I believe the fan kicked on somewhere just over 200F.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Is your fan blowing at that temp? It hasn't been warm enough this year for my fan to have kicked on but last summer in the heat, I believe the fan kicked on somewhere just over 200F.
The stock fan setting kicks on at higher temp than 200F (at least for the 2014s without a re flash) I can't remember if it's 215F or 220F but that's typically when mine kicks on every time. I believe it's 220F.

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
Is the fan on/off switch temp programmable or is it just a simple thermistor type device?

Some above are saying around 200 while others are saying almost 220. That's a big difference!

If it's a thermistor, that could be a tolerence variation within the sensors being produced. Tighter tolerences cost more, so this could be another save-a-buck related problem. I'm not a hot weather stop and go commuter, but if I were I'd want to know that it's not running too hot.

How hot do other bikes get before their fan kicks in?

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Is the fan on/off switch temp programmable or is it just a simple thermistor type device?

Some above are saying around 200 while others are saying almost 220. That's a big difference!

If it's a thermistor, that could be a tolerence variation within the sensors being produced. Tighter tolerences cost more, so this could be another save-a-buck related problem. I'm not a hot weather stop and go commuter, but if I were I'd want to know that it's not running too hot.

How hot do other bikes get before the fan kicks in?
With an ecu flash you can change the kick on temps but I'm sure if this is achievable without one.

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
Okay. That means that it's part of the programming. And, that means they were all originally programmed to the same build specs determined by Yamaha. Above boiling sounds high to me, but what do I know? Probably to avoid having it run all the time while commuting.

So the answer to the OP is that fan-on temp is normal.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I have the Vcyclenut flash.

My fan comes on at 205 and goes off at 195.

Yep going slow she do tend to run a bit warm.

So there is your excuse to go FAST!

Sorry officer I just had to go fast to cool off da beast :la:

·
Registered
233 Posts
When I purchased my bike a tech went through the bike with me... One of the things he said was that the fz09 runs hot. He told me that I would see temps ranging from 165 to 225.... So I would definitely say you don't have anything to worry about. The Fz09 has a light on the Tac for overheating if it does get too hot.

·
Super Moderator
4,340 Posts
I too was seeing temps in traffic above 220. When I checked closer, I could see just the tiniest bit of coolant residue near my fill spout.
I removed my radiator cap, checked it and re-installed it. Never saw temps above 210 ever again. I suppose the factory, or dealership
didn't tighten the cap fully. If it ain't a "closed system", it will run hot. My fan could not keep up with the high temps in traffic.
My Stoltec ECU reflash has the fan coming on at 205F.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
a related question to this topic - if the bike is getting to 220 or higher and the fan kicks on - sometimes this happens when i'm ready to park it.

When you turn the bike off - the fan goes off too.

Is it better to let the fan run with the bike on to cool it or just turn the bike off and let the temp come down without anything running...or does either way work?

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
In my opinion, just shut it off.

1. If you let it idle, there's no moving air flow and the cylinders are still producing heat, so your not doing much to bring down the temp.

2. Turning the bike off instantly stops the engine from producing additional heat and the temp will drop on it's own.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
that's what i figured - thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Okay. That means that it's part of the programming. And, that means they were all originally programmed to the same build specs determined by Yamaha. Above boiling sounds high to me, but what do I know? Probably to avoid having it run all the time while commuting.
pressurization of the cooling system raises the boiling point, as does having antifreeze vs. pure water. 50/50 eg/water mix in a properly pressurized system won't boil until at least 260 degrees or so.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts