Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Given the limited space available, I am curious what others keep under the seat on your FZ-09?
Beside the basic OEM tools and owner's manual pouch with insurance card and registration papers tucked away nice and dry, I have:
* A vinyl coated cable combination lock ($5 Bell part) to secure my helmet and jacket on the rare occasion I don't take them with me into a store, etc...
* Mini-backpack that folds back into itself and secures with a drawstring. Collapsed, it a little bigger than a hockey puck and neatly fits with the lock in the hollow under the rear fuel tank mounting bracket.
* Small plastic bottle of oil for my Scottoiler chain lube reservoir. I had enough leftover tubing and parts to convert a travel shampoo bottle into an oil bottle for longer trips.
>>> Short list of haven't put them there yet stuff.<<<
* Snack sized Ziploc plastic bag with a few bandaids and a wound wipe or three + a few cotton ear swabs- which are great for *carefully* getting a stray gnat out of an eye by the roadside. :)
* 8-10 feet of paracord and some electrical zipties plus a small roll of electrical tape.

12 2 mods 010.jpg

Reactions: BlueRidge09

·
Registered
206 Posts
Nothing yet.
It's a tricky little space. At the back end I will put my ghetto power splitter (blog to follow).
Not sure what the hell I could fit under the fuel tank, but there is quite a bit of space there...

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nothing yet.
It's a tricky little space. At the back end I will put my ghetto power splitter (blog to follow).
Not sure what the hell I could fit under the fuel tank, but there is quite a bit of space there...
I'm interested in the splitter!
I found a fuse block at an auto parts store and made one for my DL1000.
But, there's not a lot of room on a FZ-09 for much else in the little tray under the passenger seat portion.
projectb.jpg (Use the PCIII box and bicycle pump for scale.)

·
Vendor
2,315 Posts
Right now I have an SAE pigtail for a battery tender and a handful of earplugs.
Have to figure out where the tool kit goes.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I have a Stop-n-go tire patch and fill kit (couple small compressed air bottles) in the space in front of the battery.
I added a multi-tool to the tool kit and have that strapped to the seat.
I have a bungee net in the normal space.

I also have a semi-permanent tail bag with my papers, a microfiber cloth, and a side stand puck. Plenty of room there anything I get on a ride

·
Registered
192 Posts
Nothing really anymore, I have a small magnetic tank bag that I'm using for everything. There's the native tool kit under there, however. Getting that seat off is just too damn annoying to do regularly, but I suppose I should put some emergency stuff in there! Thanks for the ideas.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'm interested in the splitter!
I found a fuse block at an auto parts store and made one for my DL1000.
But, there's not a lot of room on a FZ-09 for much else in the little tray under the passenger seat portion.
View attachment 1116 (Use the PCIII box and bicycle pump for scale.)
I had something similar on my DL, but will not be spending the money on one again. The accesories that I will be installing all come fused. So why cut them off, just to wire them through a $100 splitter. I'll start a write up this week about what parts are involved, cost and complexity.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'm just curious; what was in everyone's "tool kit?" Either I got shorted some tools or this is, bar none, the most diminutive tool kit I've ever seen.

·
Vendor
2,315 Posts
I'm just curious; what was in everyone's "tool kit?" Either I got shorted some tools or this is, bar none, the most diminutive tool kit I've ever seen.
I took a quick peak in min when I got the bike and it seemed like there were 4 or 5 tools in there.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Yamaha gives you one combo wrench, and one shock adjuster and an extension for it in the kit bag (and a rubber strap to hold it down). You should also have a hex wrench and a cheap screwdriver attached to the underside of the seat.

I've also got a 1/2 oz bottle of Dupont Teflon multiuse liquid for my chain, some paper towels in vacuum sealed bags, and a funnel made from vacuum seal bag material (in case I'm away from home and realize I'm low on oil). I need to add enough tools to adjust the chain, and I'll also make up a crash kit (mini roll of duct tape, medical tape, pressure bandages, neosporin...).

I'm going to add an Eastern Beaver PC-8 fuse block, but I'm going to try to fit it under a sidecover. The front storage box seems like a good place - but I'm concerned that I might need to get through that space (why does it have a rubber plug in it's bottom?).

·
Registered
72 Posts
Given the limited space available, I am curious what others keep under the seat on your FZ-09?
Beside the basic OEM tools and owner's manual pouch with insurance card and registration papers tucked away nice and dry, I have:
* A vinyl coated cable combination lock ($5 Bell part) to secure my helmet and jacket on the rare occasion I don't take them with me into a store, etc...
* Mini-backpack that folds back into itself and secures with a drawstring. Collapsed, it a little bigger than a hockey puck and neatly fits with the lock in the hollow under the rear fuel tank mounting bracket.
* Small plastic bottle of oil for my Scottoiler chain lube reservoir. I had enough leftover tubing and parts to convert a travel shampoo bottle into an oil bottle for longer trips.
>>> Short list of haven't put them there yet stuff.<<<

View attachment 1135
This is what I like about this forum. New ideas and new ways to spend my money!!
Had never heard of an automatic chain oiler before.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts