Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really hate that word, but what's trending in motorcycles right now are scramblers. Ducati really got the ball rolling and it looks like all the big players are going to jump in.

So, another word for Trending......Marketing

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Yammy introduced their version in 2014. It seems to have fallen on deaf ears.:(

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Yammy introduced their version in 2014. It seems to have fallen on deaf ears.:(
Heh?

They need to give the FZ07 about 4 more inches of ground clearance, a high exhaust, wheels with spokes and some 60/40 tires... sold!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Yea it's the "" hipsters ..lol
Cafe racers with knobies . the trend is!...affordable bikes ,easy to work on, after market parts and the fact that riders are part of a community .
Just my 2c .

·
Registered
539 Posts
^^^ Well honestly, think about it. Hipsters are very tech savy, and are much more capable of getting the ball rolling than people like you or me (assuming). Because I'd rather actually ride my bike, not admire it from inside the window of a local Starbucks.
(Sorry I should've known Starbucks was too mainstream, I meant local cafe run by this guy.) >>> 28282612.jpg

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
That picture looks like every guy working at our neighborhood coffee place.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
What's hot these days is badass bike for good $$$. On this, Yamaha just killed the market! Someone finally that we don't want detune SS bike with budget hardware or "revised cam profile for better street riding". FZ09 and FZ07 are a game changer in today's market...

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
^^^. Agreed. FZ07 & FZ09 are Game Changer's. As good as they look, I don't believe the Scrambler will be the game changer ducati hopes it will be. The market in the USA for MC Sales is somewhat limited by the # of riders and the younger set will be limited by the high prices OTD...$10k, $11k, 12k of the various Scrambler Models. There's hipsters, and then there's hipsters who Ride & can afford a Ducati Scrambler. Scrambler's are a lot smaller in person than they appear in photo's.:cool:

·
Registered
358 Posts
Some other trends I noticed are the street bikes with smaller displacement engines. Maybe I didn't notice before but, they are releasing more bikes with smaller displacement, like the cbr250R, cb300r, cb300f, cb500f and even the grom. A few other manufacturers besides Honda have been doing this recently too, or are starting to move into it. All these bikes aren't very expensive and they are great for commuting and enjoying on twisty roads. They also have a great price too!

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
The real game changer for both FZs is the price and for the FZ9 you can add the engine and weight to the equation.

The hipsters who are willing to pay the price to be "trendy" will make up the majority of the Ducati Scrambler buyers.

The 690 Duke would be my first choice in a scrambler, but we don't hear any more about that than we do about the Bolt. Watch Aaron Colton's old search for Butch Cassidy and Sundance in Bolivia YouTube to see the 690 Duke in action. I'd put that bike up against the Ducati any day. It's even a couple thousand dollars less and around 50 lbs lighter.

But, alas, it's not Trending is it.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
supersports are dead - nakeds are all over the place. Adventure touring bikes are probably making a lot of people second guess buying a traditional sport tourer.

I dont think the market is expanding - each brand is just cannibalizing their sales with a different model as consumer tastes change but that's the price to play.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
^^^^ Agreed.

+ 1000000000

·
Registered
539 Posts
I think it's a good trend that Supersports are dying. It means they are being bought mainly by people who can actually handle them in the place they shine the most... The track.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I wonder if the next big thing will be more small and mid size dual sport & adventure bikes? Maybe the next big thing to come over from the European market.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I never did understand the logic of the behemoth adventure bikes. Maybe if you're built like Arnold.
+1 I know lots of guys love their KTM 1190's and GS 1200's, and all they see is highways miles on them. One guy I work with has a GS 1200 and he put a set of dual sport tires and headed down a nasty gravel road. Needless to say he won't be doing that again after crapping his pants in some deep gravel. I am sure they are perfect for trips to Alaska and 2 up touring, but I will be sticking with my 09 and little DR650SE, lol.

And what? Yamaha electric bikes? the other new trend.

http://cleantechnica.com/2014/04/30/yamaha-electric-motorcycles-enter-production-2016/

yamaha_electric-bike.jpg

yamaha_electric-dirtbike.jpg

1 - 20 of 36 Posts