1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Metris is $950 20 mm
Traxxion $1299 20 mm
Gp suspension /Stoltech $1250 25 mm

Just to name a few. So what is the difference between al of theses fork builders other slight size ? Two are priced pretty close the other is 25% less. NOT TRYING TO START A S*** SHOW. Just trying to learn and get as much information as possible to make a educated dissision Thanks.

·
Registered
957 Posts
It's going to be very difficult to find anyone who can really say it because people don't generally experiment with one over another due to the cost. The only way for anyone to be able to answer this question is to do a direct comparison on two bikes that are both set up for the same weight, have the same rear shock installed, and have the different fork kits installed. The odds of anyone being able to do that ever are slim to none.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I have Traxxion AK 20's on my FZ-07. Don't have the slightest clue if they are better than the other two....but I do have a clue that most riders wouldn't know the difference anyway. The size of the piston 25mm versus 20mm also means absolutely nothing. The determining factor is what the materials are made out of and the quality and precision in the production. I chose Traxxion because I live close....knew a few of the employees beforehand .. and got a good introductory deal. I also got to see the several million dollar metal fab shop and all parts being made. They make 99% of everything they sell. Don't know about the others.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Not sure if Nick still offer the GP kit and spring but unless you plan to turn your bike as a track bike only, this is the way to go... and still.

I kind of massage the package a bit (oil & oil level only) and I cam honestly keep up with any R6 track bike in the turns. So basically if all you do is street riding with the occasional spirit ride in the twisties... go that route.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
The difference in 20mm vs 25 mm is in the fine tuning.
These ain't technical terms, and if you are an expert, feel free to correct me but....
The shims that control the rebound and compression damping are small discs. It is easier to tune the flex in larger discs- imagine trying to bend a long piece of thin aluminium vs trying the bend a very short piece.
It means that you can fine tune the 25mm cartridge better than a 20mm cartridge. And tune a 30mm cartridge better than that, not to mention the Suzuki? Big Piston Forks (TM).
Any off the shelf kit that is not done by a shop for you while they have your whole bike is not going to be perfect as it needs to be tested and tweaked to get it just right.
No matter what you do, it will be a shitload better than stock. If you were getting a $250 spring set and valve stack from stoltec that he isn't selling anymore, no problem, it will be pretty close considering bang for your buck, and well worth it.
For $1000 +, I'd want it installed and tweaked and tested to make it perfect.
Just my 2c.

·
Registered
734 Posts
i have the gp fork . and i have mine set up for on the fly adjustment . road changes . i just reach down , turn set to go , neat looks a wee bit funny , with 2 allen tools ziped to the bars , but it works great

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
it all comes down to the shim stack. with either of those you can use any type of spring rate. Unless your leaned over like Rossi you will not notice a difference between 20mm or 25mm. You will need to test different shims, oil levels and spring rates before you changing to a different size cartridge.

Reactions: DNFDOUG and CD599

·
Registered
657 Posts
The size of the piston 25mm versus 20mm also means absolutely nothing. The determining factor is what the materials are made out of and the quality and precision in the production.
Interesting. So a larger piston with the potential to have larger ports to allow for more fluid to pass means absolutely nothing...

... you learn something new everyday on the internetz!

:stupid:

Reactions: clown

·
Registered
63 Posts
I just ordered a Matris rear for mine. Come spring I will do Matris inserts. After finally getting some mileage on mine I felt as though the shock was more of a culprit to bad handling than the forks. As to Matris I would put their quality up against Ohlins. Had a buddy with an R1 with full Matris, to me was more user, read street friendly than Ohlins. I've had several bikes with full Ohlins and unless you ride on perfect roads all the time they are not exactly street friendly IMHO.
JCIII

Reactions: rado
1 - 11 of 11 Posts