Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen quite a few threads about people hating on squids. What's the deal? I'm not talking about the people who ride dangerously, but rather just the people who ride in shorts + tshirt. I'll often ride in jeans + tshirt, or jeans + hoodie (always with helmet, gloves, and alpinestar riding boots btw), because I find it comfortable. I know that in a crash I will be hurting, but that's something I accept every time I decide to ride in everyday clothing. I have a riding jacket that I'll wear with some inner armor when riding on long trips (like, 6hours+), but apart from that, I could easily be called a squid even though I'm only being judged by my apparel.

Why do people hate on people who ride without armor? It's a personal decision. I get the vibe that people who hate on squids are only doing it to justify their own decisions.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
I've seen quite a few threads about people hating on squids. What's the deal? I'm not talking about the people who ride dangerously, but rather just the people who ride in shorts + tshirt. I'll often ride in jeans + tshirt, or jeans + hoodie (always with helmet, gloves, and alpinestar riding boots btw), because I find it comfortable. I know that in a crash I MAY BE DEAD, or pretty Close To DEAD, but that's something I accept every time I decide to ride in everyday clothing. I have a riding jacket that I'll wear with some inner armor when riding on long trips (like, 6hours+), but apart from that, I could easily be called a squid even though I'm only being judged by my apparel.

Why do people hate on people who ride without armor? It's a personal decision. I get the vibe that people who hate on squids are only doing it to justify their own decisions.
Fixed that for you.

I suggest we Don't go down This path for again for a Third time in 2 Days:cool:

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
LMAO!!!!!! THE first three responses are from people i put on the ignore list.....SHOCKER!!!!!!
Prediction: Within sixty days you'll move on realizing you were swimming against the tide.

Best Wishes with the next hobby & next forum:cool:

Reactions: beck

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Prediction: Within sixty days you'll move on realizing you were swimming against the tide.

Best Wishes with the next hobby & next forum:cool:
The point I'm trying to make here is that there shouldn't even be a tide. Why can't people just do what they want without getting hounded for going against the personal philosophy of someone else? The tax thing is a valid point, but if taxes were really your main concern then maybe you should go after smokers who cost tax payers more than anyone else in hospitals. At least when a motorcyclist dies, there's a good chance his organs will save someone else's life. And you can't put a price on that, right?

·
Registered
511 Posts
I don't like liberals either. Or liver. Or my mother in law. I'm not prejudiced I hate everybody. Seriously I think you have a lot of older guys like myself that have gone down and would like to save you the misery. In Colorado I would say there are more cruisers than sportbikes (standards whatever) and hardly any wear helmets. In my first crash in 1985 my face would have been ground off if I had not been wearing one. I'm not a safety Nazi I'm just a guy who's been riding for 30 years and has seen quite a bit. By the way most of the guys I hang with ride Harleys and I never say a word a about their gear but I constantly get grief for having a "rice grinder". And yes I'm well aware the face grinding might have improved my looks. Be safe regardless of your gear choice. And remember the real enemy has 4 wheels.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
It's Not taxes here. It's simply that "I" realize how precious Life is.... Life is too short as it is..........and the pain of a wreak is often avoidable.

Why do I care...????

Because I'm Human, and it's Human Nature to care about another like yourself.....:cool:

Taxes? **** Taxes.

Reactions: Jen

·
Registered
981 Posts
I wonder how many people use their bike for errands like I do.
The 7-11 is exactly 0.5 miles from my house and it is a 35 mile zone street and it's 88f.
How many would
1) ATGATT
2) take the car, it's safer and if I let it idle for awhile the car will cool down
3) throw on a helmet and just take your chances with the rest
I choose 3, so as I see it you can label me one of two ways: a) a squid or b) a dedicated motorcyclist

·
Registered
189 Posts
The 7-11 is exactly 0.5 miles from my house and it is a 35 mile zone street and it's 88f.
How many would
1) ATGATT
2) take the car, it's safer and if I let it idle for awhile the car will cool down
I choose 3, so as I see it you can label me one of two ways: a) a squid or b) a dedicated motorcyclist
How about a walk:)

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Why can't someone start a "live and let live" thread?

sometimes I get the feeling that the most sanctimonious on here are "weekend warriors" and have NO CLUE what it means to use a motorcycle as primary or ONLY transportation.

I'm the most gear nazi rider I know, and yet people try to "shame" me here.

**** 'em

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
True...this topic is getting beat to death. I could go for another break in method thread compared to the squid debate.
It seems like it's only squids or squids in denial that start these threads anyway.

To answer the question, I would gear up even for a short ride...and then I would take a detour and make it a long ride, and hit the 7-11 on my way home.

·
Registered
263 Posts
How many would
1) ATGATT
I use my daughters scooter for that. The flat floor makes it easy to set my 30 pack of beer on. I freaking love scooters. :D

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Why can't someone start a "live and let live" thread?

sometimes I get the feeling that the most sanctimonious on here are "weekend warriors" and have NO CLUE what it means to use a motorcycle as primary or ONLY transportation.

I'm the most gear nazi rider I know, and yet people try to "shame" me here.

**** 'em
Time to change topics....bike is your only wheels? Wow! What's that like? Ever get sick of it...like bad weather days, etc? How do you get groceries? I gotta give respect to that...most peeps just have the bike for fun...but you have it to survive. I think the shopping thing would be my biggest detractor to that...you are limited to only what you can carry on the bike.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Time to change topics....bike is your only wheels? Wow! What's that like? Ever get sick of it...like bad weather days, etc? How do you get groceries? I gotta give respect to that...most peeps just have the bike for fun...but you have it to survive. I think the shopping thing would be my biggest detractor to that...you are limited to only what you can carry on the bike.
you are only limited by your imagination !
Mode of transport Motor vehicle Transport Vehicle Thoroughfare

·
Registered
652 Posts
The point I'm trying to make here is that there shouldn't even be a tide. Why can't people just do what they want without getting hounded for going against the personal philosophy of someone else? The tax thing is a valid point, but if taxes were really your main concern then maybe you should go after smokers who cost tax payers more than anyone else in hospitals. At least when a motorcyclist dies, there's a good chance his organs will save someone else's life. And you can't put a price on that, right?
That is what is known as freedom.It's just crazy talk!:p

.... where do you live ,anyway?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I don't like liberals either. Or liver. Or my mother in law. I'm not prejudiced I hate everybody. Seriously I think you have a lot of older guys like myself that have gone down and would like to save you the misery. In Colorado I would say there are more cruisers than sportbikes (standards whatever) and hardly any wear helmets. In my first crash in 1985 my face would have been ground off if I had not been wearing one. I'm not a safety Nazi I'm just a guy who's been riding for 30 years and has seen quite a bit. By the way most of the guys I hang with ride Harleys and I never say a word a about their gear but I constantly get grief for having a "rice grinder". And yes I'm well aware the face grinding might have improved my looks. Be safe regardless of your gear choice. And remember the real enemy has 4 wheels.

Older guys tend to not wear enough gear. There is an article written about this just recently.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.