Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow members,

So I've been riding my CBR954RR recently and the way it handles is just superb comparing the FZ09. Same roads wight he FZ09 I be bouncing like on a pogo stick. So I decided before I take he FZ09 out for a ride I want to do my suspension, that Boeing said. What's the best setup. Ohlins rear shock and online front cartridges, or Penske shock and stoltec front cartridges kit. I've been looking round on websites to see what kind of after market suspension available for the 09 and don't seem to find much. For those of you who've upgraded their suspension, what's the best setup. I commute and ride on canyons on weekends and I want to do track days in the future. I just hate the dive of the front forks and the bouncing rear on uneven road or small pot holes. I want to feel that CBR solid handling feeling, what should I be looking into buying and from where?

Thanks in advance for taking time to read and giving advices.

Ride safe everyone, shiny side up :)

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Everyone has their own opinion what set up is best and there are combos of everything you listed and a few more.

I have the Traxxion Dynamics AK20 cartridges and fork caps to give me adjustable compression and rebound damping along with spring preload adjustment. The stock forks only come with preload adjusters on both fork caps and rebound damping adjuster on the right fork leg only. To add compression damping adjuster you need to replace the left fork cap with either a stock left one or someone's aftermarket cap. And of course install a compression damping adjuster in the cartridge in the left fork.

Out rear, I have a Penske. I like it. It is on par or better in some respects than the Ohlins. I have had Ohlins on several bikes in the past and this is my first Penske. Performance wise they are similar but the Penske is supposed to be easier to rebuild when servicing time comes where the Ohlins uses all proprietary seals and such so it needs to be rebuilt by someone with Ohlins parts...

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great info there dude, much appreciated. Which Penske shock do you have 1,2,3 clickers?

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Traxxion front, Penske double clicker rear here. Like you, I was spoiled by the 954 suspension. The long front tubes will never feel as planted as the Honda, but it is very nimble and predictable now. Oh, GPR stabilizer made a world of difference towards making it feel like a sportbike.

·
Registered
654 Posts
a big point to make, if your ass is coming out of the seat like being on a pogo stick, you have the rear set up too stiff not too soft, which is the opposite of most of the complaints ive read in here. How much do you weigh? now back to your regularly scheduled this brand is better than that brand.....

Reactions: zed and Speedbird

·
Registered
208 Posts
I'm 170-175 geared up. I just increased the pre load by 3mm and the rebound up to 5 clicks below max (3-4 up from factory). It feels much better for my weight now and rebounds up to the neural position without falling back down like a pogo. If it feels weird while leaving a lot in the canyons then I'll consider upgrading. Based on many websites and this forum, It looks like a Penske 1 or 2 clicker will be fine with stoltec redoing the front internals will make it perfect.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I've run both Ohlins and Traxxion / Penske, both setup's are very good.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Using the Stoltec front end (.90 kg/mm Sonic springs + GP piston kit with 7W oil & 130mm oil level)
Rear I'm using the ZX10 shock with 9.1kg/mm spring

Can't see the end of it, even at the track.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I way 180lbs with no gear and haven't weight my self with full gear, does it comes in consideration when I'm don the suspension upgrade, the GPR steering stabilizer, is it also a must have since I'm doing suspension upgrade, what's hahe inside joke of the oil thread? Submit a link?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Using the Stoltec front end (.90 kg/mm Sonic springs + GP piston kit with 7W oil & 130mm oil level)
Rear I'm using the ZX10 shock with 9.1kg/mm spring

Can't see the end of it, even at the track.
I'll take at as you love someone his setup.? Which stoltec setup is that he full cartridges or just the springs and oil?

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I'll take at as you love someone his setup.? Which stoltec setup is that he full cartridges or just the springs and oil?
I got the springs and GP piston revalve kit from him. For the track I swap the 5W oil for 7W and raise the oil level to 130mm from 148mm stock. Work well for me... 175lbs w/o gear.

Stabilizer would be last on my list. Unless you hit the track or spend a lot of timesin the triple digit speed... start with the front/rear suspension first and see how it goes. Unless you have the coin is spare, go for it!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
a big point to make, if your ass is coming out of the seat like being on a pogo stick, you have the rear set up too stiff not too soft, which is the opposite of most of the complaints ive read in here. How much do you weigh? now back to your regularly scheduled this brand is better than that brand.....
What's the stock adjustments to have it not like a pogo stick anti clock wise or clock wise? And the screw which way should I adjust it to left or right.
Sorry for my lack of knowledge

·
Registered
233 Posts
Clockwise will slow down rebound.
That's the only adjustment you have other than spring preload.

Set sag with preload if your weight allows.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Ditto...what Marthy said!

Went with the the Stoltec front end (.85 kg/mm Sonic springs + GP piston kit)
Rear: Penske 8900

Rider wt: 185# w/o gear

Great enhancement for this bike.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts