Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I'm stumped right now with my rear tire. I've put less than 100 miles on my bike since I've had it. I go out to ride last weekend and my rear is flat. I check for nails, holes, and the cap. Nothing wrong, I take it to the dealer and they check it too with no problem. They air it up and I ride around, keeps air for the next day and a half fine. Park it and today I go out and it's flat again. Is there something I'm missing? Did the dealer miss something? What should my next plan of action be..?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Check your valve for a leak. Park the bike with the valve at the bottom of the wheel then put some water, windex or whatever you want down in the valve to see if you have a leaky valve core. Replacements can be found for cheap. That's my guess at least...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's one of the things the dealer checked when they did their thing. I can take it again tomorrow or something but could it be anything else?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The bike is locked up in storage so no chance of a neighbor doing it. It sure would suck if it was a problem with the rim. What I don't understand is that I've had it for almost a month now and it just did this last week. And now again.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
do you have a means to inflate the tire at home? a bicycle pump will work in a pinch.

anyway, after putting air back into the tire, put some soapy water in a spray bottle and spray down the entire tire... tread, sidewalls, bead, valve stem, in the valve stem, etc and see if bubbles develop anywhere.

also, check the valve stem cap. if it is one with a tiny little rubber o-ring, make sure it's seated properly in the cap. I had a similar mysterious leak that I couldn't track down and it ended up being the o-ring in the cap... it had become pinched/dislodged in the end of the cap and was pushing down on the valve stem core and slowly releasing air every time I screwed it back on.

also, not to sound too much like a dealer hater, but never believe that they did everything they say they did.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lol I'm not much for dealers either but I watched them do it because I was baffled. I'll check the cap, and no I don't have a way to at home which is extremely inconvenient..

·
Registered
112 Posts
Another option is you could take the wheel off and take it to a tire shop in the area. Same principal as the soapy water but they would actually dunk it in a tank of water to find the leak. Simple, yet very effective at finding a small and persistent leak. Just a suggestion

·
Registered
730 Posts
^^^^
Exactly.... did they do that, or just play with it on the bike?

·
Registered
168 Posts
The simple soap and water trick works wonders on finding small leaks.

You need something anyway to inflate the tires when needed you can get a 12v at wal mart for less then $20.

Go buy a pump and a spray bottle you will find your problem, just remember if its the way its parked to move it around when u do it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They had me roll the bike while they sprayed all over the tire and nozzle to check. I'm gonna find a way to get some air in later and try again

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Sounds like it needs an at home dunk test... if you have a rear stand and a pan deep enough to cover the sidewall and rim shoulder with water you can do a proper dunk test. Sometimes it takes a while for bubbles to form with a slow leak. I've seen a slow leak (rim seal) years ago that took over 5 seconds to form the tiniest of bubbles and another 5 to be big enough to float to the surface. Most (paid) mechanics are not that patient if they have other work waiting. With the wheel in the right position that slow leak was much more prevalent and it would lose a lot of air in 24 hours.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I checked it out to find a very tiny hole. I didn't really feel safe with going somewhere to get it patched so I just got a new rear tire. I kept the tire for now but how safe are mototrxycle tires that get patched? I've never had to deal with a flat on one of my bikes so I was shady about going that route.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Patched tire or not is up to you. As far as I am concerned, plugs and patches are fine. Others don't want to take the risk however small. It is up to you.

Go buy a bicycle tire pump (< $10) or a small air compressor (< $30).

Did you find the cause of the puncture?

·
Registered
962 Posts
How safe a plugged tire is depends on what kind/size of hole and what part of the carcass and tread. If it's in the sidewall then the tire is toast, I would toss it if it's at the outer edge of the tread too (too much distorting stress). A plug in the middle of deep tread will survive better than a plug between the trad blocks. A linear hole (a line rather than a circle) can't be plugged because the carcass will rip.

If you've already replaced it then I'd toss it, or mark the hole and sell it on craigslist for cheap...

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I will pay $200 to reduce my risk of a catastrophic crash caused by mechanical failure any day of the week. Something like a patched tire would linger in the back of my mind, and never let me feel mentally assured that I could go full tilt.

·
Registered
349 Posts
do you have a means to inflate the tire at home? a bicycle pump will work in a pinch.

anyway, after putting air back into the tire, put some soapy water in a spray bottle and spray down the entire tire... tread, sidewalls, bead, valve stem, in the valve stem, etc and see if bubbles develop anywhere.

also, check the valve stem cap. if it is one with a tiny little rubber o-ring, make sure it's seated properly in the cap. I had a similar mysterious leak that I couldn't track down and it ended up being the o-ring in the cap... it had become pinched/dislodged in the end of the cap and was pushing down on the valve stem core and slowly releasing air every time I screwed it back on.

also, not to sound too much like a dealer hater, but never believe that they did everything they say they did.
Exactly what Lucky Devil and Mothy said - Baptize that whole Damn rim/tire in water. Then Pray and Watch for Bubbles. If your baby pool turns into a Hot Tub call a Priest!!!!

cover.jpg

1 - 19 of 19 Posts