Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After drill this weekend I took the fz out. Unfortunately I took a steep turn too slow and sharp it landed on its side. My initial look at the scene I only noticed my brake lever bent. Got it home and well....

Woodcraft puck scratched to hell (took most of the damage)
Rear and front right turn signals scratched
Break lever bent
Throttle case scratched
Tank dent
Ermax seat cover scratched

Akra carbon exhaust carbon can scratched and broke?

Now most of which I can fix by myself. Already contacted Akra maybe I can just buy a new can rather than the whole system again. Blinkers too Easy to rotate. Brake lever would be easy to fix just bend it back.
Is it worth it to just claim it on insurance or replace? I have not been able to talk to my insurance guy due to the fact that I don't know how much my insurance will go up (wife and I pay 70$ a month for two bikes)

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Brake lever will probably break if you try and bend it back. But those are cheap. Blinkers, upgrade the LED flush mount, can't tell but it looks like just the carbon fiber tip is scarred on the can. Maybe just replace that. The dent in the tank is real small. Maybe you can pop it out with one of the popper things. Or take it to a body shop and see if the can do the paint less dent removal. I wouldn't file a claim for that little bit of damage. But I can't really tell in the pics the extent of the damage.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I know I have $5k in accessory coverage through my insurance but if you don't have that - stuff like the exhaust and frame sliders wouldn't be covered anyway.

For such a small claim, the repercussions of going through your insurance will impact your rates long after you get any cash to replace some of the stuff on your bike.

The last comment is selfish on my part but we've all seen our insurance rise due to high claims of this bike. My opinion is to always avoid insurance if you can. Any claim raises your rates and adds to the pool of potentially raising rates for others.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Brake lever will probably break if you try and bend it back. But those are cheap. Blinkers, upgrade the LED flush mount, can't tell but it looks like just the carbon fiber tip is scarred on the can. Maybe just replace that. The dent in the tank is real small. Maybe you can pop it out with one of the popper things. Or take it to a body shop and see if the can do the paint less dent removal. I wouldn't file a claim for that little bit of damage. But I can't really tell in the pics the extent of the damage.
I bought Wilson or whatever turn signals. I would take the good one and transition to the back of the bike. Brake lever maybe 30$. Along with a new puck

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know I have $5k in accessory coverage through my insurance but if you don't have that - stuff like the exhaust and frame sliders wouldn't be covered anyway.

For such a small claim, the repercussions of going through your insurance will impact your rates long after you get any cash to replace some of the stuff on your bike.

The last comment is selfish on my part but we've all seen our insurance rise due to high claims of this bike. My opinion is to always avoid insurance if you can. Any claim raises your rates and adds to the pool of potentially raising rates for others.
Good point. I have 3k in accessory coverage. I'm hoping I can get a new carbon cover rather than buy a whole new system.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Good point. I have 3k in accessory coverage. I'm hoping I can get a new carbon cover rather than buy a whole new system.
I'm pretty sure another member did the same for the exhaust. It wasn't cheap but obviously less expensive then buying the entire system again.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'd agree about not claiming. I don't know what the US is like, (sorry if that assumption was wrong), but in the UK, I have something like a £500 excess on the policy anyway.
For the end can, you might be able to get it back by using successively finer grades of web & dry. The carbon fibre goes all the way through, and has the resin coating on top of it. The worst you'll do is probably to get rid of all the resin coating, and be down to bare carbon fibre. Probably worth trying before you go splashing out on a new part.
Hey, the same technique might even work on the bungs as well.

The tank is certainly a pi$$er, but how about doing something like a decal that would be big enough to cover it? You could then put a bit of filler underneath, then the decal over the top? A piece of custom-cut carbon fibre sheet?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'd agree about not claiming. I don't know what the US is like, (sorry if that assumption was wrong), but in the UK, I have something like a £500 excess on the policy anyway.
For the end can, you might be able to get it back by using successively finer grades of web & dry. The carbon fibre goes all the way through, and has the resin coating on top of it. The worst you'll do is probably to get rid of all the resin coating, and be down to bare carbon fibre. Probably worth trying before you go splashing out on a new part.
Hey, the same technique might even work on the bungs as well.

The tank is certainly a pi$$er, but how about doing something like a decal that would be big enough to cover it? You could then put a bit of filler underneath, then the decal over the top? A piece of custom-cut carbon fibre sheet?
Everything you listed seems out of my expertise. My deductible is 500. But I am all for not blowing 500 if I can get EA h part cheaper. Ermax already told me that I can send my invoice they will replace the bracket. When I fell the braket on the left side snapped.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Fair enough if you're not comfortable doing it, but with the wet & dry all you're doing is sanding away the top layer. Have a think about it, you're not going to make it worse! :D

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Fair enough if you're not comfortable doing it, but with the wet & dry all you're doing is sanding away the top layer. Have a think about it, you're not going to make it worse! :D
That fiber is cracked all the way through. Will that have any effect?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ah, that's not good. I should have looked better, thought it was just surface scratches.
Hmm, you could still give it a try. It's not a structural piece after all.
That being said, since it is cracked if I ride the bike it won't effect anything will it?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm no expert with this, but as long as everything is still solid, if it was mine, I'd keep on riding it. It looks like that damaged piece is just a riveted on end cap, so I wouldn't think that anything's likely to fall off, but might be worth getting the take from someone who knows a bit more about that than me.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Waiting on akra tell tell me what's up with the tip. Found a handy parts list and brake and throttle cable with the Woodcraft puck 60$ total. Local dent company said the tank dent starts at 185

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Waiting on akra tell tell me what's up with the tip. Found a handy parts list and brake and throttle cable with the Woodcraft puck 60$ total. Local dent company said the tank dent starts at 185
I would just order a new tank. It will never look brand new and a new tank is only about 430 bucks... i wouldnt file a claim and didn't on mine when i went down after busting my oil pan. miraculously, my tank was unscathed... 750 bucks later and the bike looks brand new. not a scratch. Another advantage of the FZ is cheap replacement parts...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I would just order a new tank. It will never look brand new and a new tank is only about 430 bucks... i wouldnt file a claim and didn't on mine when i went down after busting my oil pan. miraculously, my tank was unscathed... 750 bucks later and the bike looks brand new. not a scratch. Another advantage of the FZ is cheap replacement parts...
When you looked at the tank that 30 include pump and all that or is that just the tank? I tried looking at the parts list and couldn't tell to look into it.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts