Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I just wondering what will the effect be if I remove my catalytic from my exhaust.
Will it sound softer or sound louder?
Will the exhaust sound become sharper and not as deep bassy sound.?

I have install a powercommander and yet to go for dyno. The dyno so will only provide 2map. Therefore, I'm considering whether go remove my catalytic before I go for my dyno.

Just wondering what's the performance and sound wise upon removing it. Hope someone with the knowledges can guide me :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
555 Posts
Same S0n1c from ninja300.com?

Sound will be louder marginally. Will not become any less deep in my experience.

Performance wise you will be much better off without it, and recommend you remove it before a dyno.

BTW, which aftermarket exhaust do you have that contains a catalytic convertor? Most come without them and you cant add them, and you have to specifically buy ones with other manufacturers such as Akrapovic. Are you sure your aftermarket system has one installed?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Same S0n1c from ninja300.com?

Sound will be louder marginally. Will not become any less deep in my experience.

Performance wise you will be much better off without it, and recommend you remove it before a dyno.

BTW, which aftermarket exhaust do you have that contains a catalytic convertor? Most come without them and you cant add them, and you have to specifically buy ones with other manufacturers such as Akrapovic. Are you sure your aftermarket system has one installed?
Lol. Nope. I didn't join any ninja forum. I'm using termignoni now. It's a requirement for every bike to have the catalytic in my country.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Lol. Nope. I didn't join any ninja forum. I'm using termignoni now. It's a requirement for every bike to have the catalytic in my country.

Why would you remove it then? It's costing you one, or two horsepower at the very most. It will be a little louder without it, but not a huge difference.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why would you remove it then? It's costing you one, or two horsepower at the very most. It will be a little louder without it, but not a huge difference.
Because the convertor trap heats and makes the bike much hotter. Those hotness can be reduce by taking it out.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi. I just wondering what will the effect be if I remove my catalytic from my exhaust.
Will it sound softer or sound louder?
Will the exhaust sound become sharper and not as deep bassy sound.?

I have install a powercommander and yet to go for dyno. The dyno so will only provide 2map. Therefore, I'm considering whether go remove my catalytic before I go for my dyno.

Just wondering what's the performance and sound wise upon removing it. Hope someone with the knowledges can guide me :)

Then you can run 100 low lead aviation gas, not sure if the valve guides will like it or hate it but no ethanol in it.
Do bike ecu's retard the timing to prevent detonation like the hemi in my dodge truck?

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
take it out, unless your required to smog your bike. I don't know of any places that require regular smog check for bikes... yet.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
take it out, unless your required to smog your bike. I don't know of any places that require regular smog check for bikes... yet.
I am surprised commifornia doesn't require that.

Reactions: dantheman

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
They don't require it.. From what I understand motorcycles are only checked when the leave the assembly floor, after that no checks.. ever. Smog check facilities are not equipped to smog bikes. In fact there is no technology in place that is capable of smog checking motorcycles.. I know this because I've been looking for such equipment.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I can tell you that if you care at all, there's a good chance you'll stink of exhaust every time you ride if you remove it. My old 600RR had the cat removed from the stock exhaust and I smelled pretty bad after every ride. Personally, I won't do that again since it kept me from riding the bike at times depending on where I was going (i.e. work). It's all personal opinion but I think the stock exhaust already sounds great and I have more than enough power to work with that I feel no desire to mess with the cat.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts