Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title says it all! For me it would be the '76 KZ900LTD Turbo i had a few years back..Death trap! No extended swing arm, just an old school manual twist to tighten/loosen steering stabilizer! I'll post a picture if I have it on this computer.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
My gsxr 711 streetfighter.
1988 gsxr 750 frame.
1987 gsxr 1100 engine, JE big bore Pistons to 1196cc. 38mm carbs off a 91 750. Dyna ignition.
Carrozerria wheels. 2004 gsxr 1000 front end, JMC swing arm. Carbon centred disk brakes.
1998 R1 seeat and subframe, fz6n headlight, lots of airbrushed skulls, quick action throttle a a big rear sprocket.
Lots of other bits and pieces.
185kgs wet, 130 hp, and good for about 250kph. At the track, of course.

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
The FZ09 is my 26th bike, and a lot of them was fun, exciting and cool in their own way at the time I owned them....but I have to say that the FZ, in it's present form is the most fun bike I've owned so far.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I miss my VFR400R. It was a fun motorcycle. The bike was a grey import, never actually titled for the US. I did have a title off an old honda frame tho. That bike was so unique compared to everything else I have owned. I have never seen another one, and probably never will. Hell you could turn the headlight off if you wanted to.

1986 Honda VFR400R; V4, single sided swing arm, Cam Gear train

·
Registered
670 Posts
My FJR1300, without a doubt. It's a magic carpet which can take me coast-to-coast fast, comfortably, and reliably.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Lotta nice sport touring bikes available and the FJR I had was one of em.
But 200+ xtra lbs.is a deal killer for me and that is what makes the FZ-09 so appealing.
I mean it's 25 lbs. lighter than Yamaha's new R1 !
My RZ 350 at 350 lbs.and 52 RWHP (pipes,airbox/jetting)and the instant hit of a twin 2-stroke
Set the standard for me for years even with my RZ 500(+75 lbs.)
But I must say the FZ in my mind has raised the bar...thanks Yamaha !

·
Registered
670 Posts
Lotta nice sport touring bikes available and the FJR I had was one of em.
But 200+ xtra lbs.is a deal killer for me and that is what makes the FZ-09 so appealing.
I mean it's 25 lbs. lighter than Yamaha's new R1 !
My RZ 350 at 350 lbs.and 52 RWHP (pipes,airbox/jetting)and the instant hit of a twin 2-stroke
Set the standard for me for years even with my RZ 500(+75 lbs.)
But I must say the FZ in my mind has raised the bar...thanks Yamaha !
The weight of an FJR is your friend when you have 450 miles to go and you have a 45 mph crosswind.

·
Registered
768 Posts
1989 Honda Transalp.
I owned two of them and put over 60k miles on them combined. An 'alp didn't do anything great. But, it did do a lot well.
Not many bikes can go three hours on the interstate to a dual sport run, ride 75% unpaved roads for 125 miles and then home again on just three tanks of gas and in relative comfort. =)
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car Vehicle Motorcycle Plant community Enduro Adventure Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motorcycle racer Motorcycling

Reactions: MoFZio and Obijack

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I miss my VFR400R. It was a fun motorcycle. The bike was a grey import, never actually titled for the US. I did have a title off an old honda frame tho. That bike was so unique compared to everything else I have owned. I have never seen another one, and probably never will. Hell you could turn the headlight off if you wanted to.

1986 Honda VFR400R; V4, single sided swing arm, Cam Gear train
I had one of those, brilliant little bike. At track days, I used to get overtaken down the straight, then catch everyone through the corners, then get taken down the straight, etc etc. then ride home.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Supermoto Enduro
Still can't believe I sold it :( fz09 has a lot to live up to .

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Norton P-11 Scrambler with 6" extended front. Fast for its time and a blast to ride. To date, nothing can touch the FZ9!

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
@edgyver; awesome pics, looks like you have been at this game quite a while!

@keef; I was told the nc24&30's were some of the best handling track bikes around. That is awesome you had one and got to ride it on the track.

Reactions: edgyver

·
Registered
957 Posts
I've only owned 3 bikes so far: An SV650, a 2006 ZX-6R, and the FZ-09. Of the 3 I'd give it to the FZ no doubt. But I'm not going to lie to myself and say it's the best bike out there. That being said, you'd probably have to turn to European manufacturers to get bikes that offer better performance and character, and at that point you're losing a LOT in terms of value and reliability/practicality.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
@edgyver; awesome pics, looks like you have been at this game quite a while!

@keef; I was told the nc24&30's were some of the best handling track bikes around. That is awesome you had one and got to ride it on the track.
I used to drag peg, side stand and exhaust around left handers on it at eastern creek raceway.
I had a 996, needed some cash, so traded the 996 for cash and the little Vfr. It would wind off the clock down the straight, speedo stopped at 220, the little Vfr would keep pulling.
The gsxr 711 was good for an indicated 252, with my helmet pressed against my nose so tight from the wind pressure I couldn't breathe.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I had a 2005 Ducati S2R1000 that had all sorts of bolt-ons. Every body piece was replaced with carbon fiber. I got it at a Ducati dealership and rode it for a year of terrifying bliss before I sold it. It'll probably stand as the most beautiful thing I will ever own. It sounded incredo-mazing. With the twin exhaust and the open dry clutch, it sounded like an air ratchet in neutral.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
The best bike EVER built, of course...the red FZ-09!
Most bikes have appeal, yet, FZ09 has balls w/o the plastic wrap (super-sport crap). :director:
(I know...fighting words)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts