Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I apologize if this in the wrong section and if someone has asked this question already (this is my 2nd thread). I searched and couldn't find anything on here.

That being said I'm due for some new rubber. I do mostly commuting with the occasional weekend fun run. About 85 commute and 15 recreation. No mods other than M4 slip on. I have been researching a few options, but was curious to what every one else was running, what kind of riding you are doing and, mileage rode/tire life info. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Dunlop Q3 Carbon. Amazing tires.

·
Registered
920 Posts
x2 for pilot road 4.. only in the rear though. still stock front.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Let me explain why I use the Pilot Road 4. I crack a bunch of wheelies (center tire eater), ride a fair amount of straight roads to get from one curvy riding area to another, as well as road trips, and the PR4's will last me about 7,000 miles, whereas a Sport tire in the back will only net me between 3,000 and 3,500 miles. I am not cheap, but it pains me to buy and mount tires all of the time. I have tried a bunch of Sport/Tour tires, and the PR4's have the best feel transitioning into turns without feeling sluggish like the Bridgestones did. Also, they warm up in very little time allowing them to stick without being greasy, which is a trait of most Sport/Tour tires due to the harder compounds.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Dunlop Q2, will be going with Dunlop Q3 before my next track day.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Pirelli Angel GT.
Best tires I've had on a bike. Warm up is quick, feed back is great, turn in is good, grip is good, and they are wearing very well. I ride fairly hard on the road but not hard enough to blister the tires or anything. In other words I'm not sure how good they would be at track tire pace. I've been doing several 1000 mile weekends so I wanted a more sport touring based tire that still let me feel confident in the twisties and this tire fits the bill nicely. I went to Nashville the weekend I got them and was able to really push hard in the corners without so much as a wiggle. I don't know that I'll ever go back to anything else.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Revzilla has really good reviews on just about any tire your looking at. Right now I have a Dunlop Q3 on the front and a Metzler M7rr on the back. I hope the Metzler lasts longer than the Q3 did than ill switch to both Metzlers when this one is gone.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Have Q3 on my gsxr... was highly impressed with the stock Bridgestone S20's on the FZ, so grabbed the S20 Evo to replace the worn out stock rear. Ill see how it holds up.

I live on top of a mountain so anytime I leave my house I'm riding some decent and serious twisty's.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Let me explain why I use the Pilot Road 4. I crack a bunch of wheelies (center tire eater), ride a fair amount of straight roads to get from one curvy riding area to another, as well as road trips, and the PR4's will last me about 7,000 miles, whereas a Sport tire in the back will only net me between 3,000 and 3,500 miles. I am not cheap, but it pains me to buy and mount tires all of the time. I have tried a bunch of Sport/Tour tires, and the PR4's have the best feel transitioning into turns without feeling sluggish like the Bridgestones did. Also, they warm up in very little time allowing them to stick without being greasy, which is a trait of most Sport/Tour tires due to the harder compounds.
I can't believe youre getting that much life out of your tires... I have 7700 on mine now and im on my 3rd rear tire. Sportmax, q3, and now another q3

·
Registered
103 Posts
I am at 6000 miles on the stock Bridgestone S20. I ordered a S20 EVO to replace the rear, thing is I still got some mileage left on the tire.

I commute in Atanta traffic and I still haven't ridden a bike like this, so I am slowly learning to push it harder and learn my limits. Past bikes were (2) GS500, GS450, Magna 700, Magna 750, Magna 500, CB750

·
Registered
852 Posts
Bridgestone Battlax BT016 Pro Hypersport's as of last night. Thanks to another forum member for posting the deal on RockyMTNATV I couldn't pass them up for the price along with a rebate.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I can't believe youre getting that much life out of your tires... I have 7700 on mine now and im on my 3rd rear tire. Sportmax, q3, and now another q3
On regular Sport tires I get between 3,000 and 3,500 max. I yanked the stock Dunlops at 1,000 miles, worst tire ever. I will never back off my riding fun to try to get good fuel economy or maximum tire life. It defeats everything fun about motorcycling for me.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
On regular Sport tires I get between 3,000 and 3,500 max. I yanked the stock Dunlops at 1,000 miles, worst tire ever. I will never back off my riding fun to try to get good fuel economy or maximum tire life. It defeats everything fun about motorcycling for me.
I agree with you there... Night and day when i put the q3's on. mine came with Battlax's

·
Registered
51 Posts
I got over 3200 miles on the stock Bridgestone Battleaxes. And that was hard riding.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Lol at least wear a helmet when you're "cruisin'" bro!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 41 Posts