Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Land vehicle Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Wheel

Hey guys:

I'm considering taking the fz09 to Mexico in January and will be riding with a mix of dual sport/ adventure bikes. I may take the xr650r but want to seriously consider the fz-09. My first concern is tires and then clearance under the pan/ exhaust.

Anyone know what tires these are? So far my google-fu has been weak. The rear looks like its had some custom siping done, but I've got access to a siping tool so may be up for it if necessary.

This screen shot is from
at 8:12.

Sorry mods just realized this is in the wrong forum! DOH!

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
I believe that is a Dunlop Rain tire. If it is not it is another brand but it is a race rain tire.
I disagree with that! I've got a set of race rain tires mounted on another set of wheels for my track bike and they look almost identical to the Michelin Power Cup tires as far as shape.....just a lot more rain grooves. That looks like some kind of aggressive mud/sand tire.

Here is a picture of the rear rain tire....

·
Registered
833 Posts
You will bust your oil pan and wish you brought the XR...

Reactions: beck

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
You will bust your oil pan and wish you brought the XR...
Maybe lower risk with after market suspension but the clearance is still pretty damn low.

Guys have ripped the oil drain plug right off the bike doing less on the road let alone off road.

I wouldn't even think twice about taking the xr over the fz.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe lower risk with after market suspension but the clearance is still pretty damn low.

Guys have ripped the oil drain plug right off the bike doing less on the road let alone off road.

I wouldn't even think twice about taking the xr over the fz.

Dont worry guys, just in the planning stages and I wont do it without some kind of heavy duty skid plate and crash bars.

The other thing is that the xr650r isn't plated (yet) although I'm working on that too as a back up.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Having an Xr650r and an Fz-09 as well, I wouldn't even CONSIDER using my Fz-09 off roading.

Plate the Xr and call it a day, it is what the bike was meant for. Then you won't have to worry about being careful with the niner.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I believe that is a Dunlop Rain tire. If it is not it is another brand but it is a race rain tire.
I disagree with that! I've got a set of race rain tires mounted on another set of wheels for my track bike and they look almost identical to the Michelin Power Cup tires as far as shape.....just a lot more rain grooves. That looks like some kind of aggressive mud/sand tire.

Here is a picture of the rear rain tire....

I think he might be correct and that they chopped out rubber between every other set of grooves with a tire siping cutter. That's why it looks so inconsistent too. Thanks guys for the input. And dont worry I wont kill my bike. Besides everyone I've heard of hitting the pan did it going over a curb or something hard like concrete, not soft dirt. Either way, I also don't want to have a bad trip to Mexico, so it will all depend on what route we decide to take for which bike I will take.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts