Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK maybe I'm blind or something but I just can't find it. I keep hearing factory filter is usually pretty tight so I just want to get a right size wrench to be sure. How many " mm " is it ?
When I went to a store they had few different sizes but no universal one.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have a Toyota specific oil filter wrench that fits the Yamaha filter. It has 14 "flat spots". Not sure if that's how it's described at the parts store but there you go.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Check out the Gold Wing filter wrench sold by Big Bike parts.
bigbikeparts.com
It works great on Yamaha filters, too.
I've had one for a few years now and I dare say you'll never wear it out.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Where do you live. Where I live, there are 8 auto parts stores within 15 miles of me. Surely there has got to be one close to you that sells the universal strap wrench. All you really need to do is break the bead on the filter. Then you can unscrew it by hand. Then buy an oil filter with a nut on it so you can use a torque wrench to tighten it to the right ft. lbs.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I picked up a simple oil filter strap style wrench a long time ago from my local auto parts store and it has been able to fit on nearly every filter I've needed to take off, including my FZ-09. Not too expensive and easy to find... take a look at one of those.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I use a cap wrench that has a 3/8 drive adapter on the back so I can use a torque wrench. I can post link later as Autozone's website appears to be down. Originally purchased it for my M50, but it fits the 09's filter as well. Not to thread jack, but does anyone think the torque spec for the drain bolt is a little odd. 31ft-lb according to the Owner's manual. My m50 was about half of that, the 09's seems excessive.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Not sure, but
I will tell you this, my stock filter and drain bolt were way over tightened. I almost flipped the bike over trying to undue the drain bolt.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I use a cap wrench that has a 3/8 drive adapter on the back so I can use a torque wrench. I can post link later as Autozone's website appears to be down. Originally purchased it for my M50, but it fits the 09's filter as well. Not to thread jack, but does anyone think the torque spec for the drain bolt is a little odd. 31ft-lb according to the Owner's manual. My m50 was about half of that, the 09's seems excessive.
I think the 31 ft-lb is ridiculous ,I do it up to 17 ft-lb like my Bandit

·
Registered
111 Posts
The cheap universal plier type wrench from harbor freight will get it done. My strap wrenches were useless taking off the stock.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The cheap universal plier type wrench from harbor freight will get it done. My strap wrenches were useless taking off the stock.
and that's what I just got yesterday ! New filter will be K&N with nut on it, problem solved !

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I broke the strap on my wrench while trying to remove the original filter. I did eventually get it off and replaced with K&N, but not so tight.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts