Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched and couldn't really find just an overall jacket thread so figured I would throw this out there and maybe some people can get ideas on what type of jacket everyone wears/likes. We fall into a strange category on the 09, we can get away with riding more cafe/cruiser style jackets as well as more pure sport/race gear. With the amount of money you can save shopping online it's always nice to get extra feedback before you shop.

I personally wear an Icon 1000 Akorp jacket, I'm not overly keen on it, the build quality and protection is fantastic but the style isn't 100% what I'm looking for. I am 6'3" and 190 lbs so a tall skinny guy and find a lot of jackets come down to about my belly button where the Akorp fits closer to a normal jacket which I enjoy a lot more. But unfortunately when you buy a bike at the end of the season your gear selection is pretty limited so I didn't get to try many options. But if you like the style of it I would absolutely recommend it, Icon has definitely stepped up its game with the 1000 series.

So anyways what do you guys wear? What do you like/dislike about them?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Joe Rocket Phoenix 11.0

image.jpg

Wear this throughout my entire riding season, April to November. Love the mesh :)
Keeps you cool when it's hot, and with the liner-in + a long sleeve thermal shirt, no prob staying warm in Autumn.
Don't have any dislikes to be honest, have worn mesh type jackets for last 12 years or so.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Right now I have two main jackets, both Joe Rocket Textile jackets.

1) For cooler days, a Joe Rocket Ballistic 12.0 Textile Jacket.
2) For warmer days, a Joe Rocket Alter Ego 12.0 Textile Jacket

Textile Motorcycle Jackets - Canada's Motorcycle

jackets.JPG

Both have removable water proof liners, great ventilation, good adaptability and lots of pockets.

The first ones works great for cool days with it's extended length, and has tones of pockets. I find the waterproof liners block out all of the wind on cold days.

The second one is great because for those really hot days it unzips and converts into a mesh style, but still has all the protective armor.

I haven't found a leather jacket that I like, they are either to short, or a look like you should be riding a Harley.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't found a leather jacket that I like, they are either to short, or a look like you should be riding a Harley.
I agree I love the look of some of the sporty leather jackets but I don't know why none of them can actually reach my waist.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I have a summer alpinstars leather jacket, a Fly Racing mesh jacket that is all season. And a First Gear Kilimanjaro Hi-Viz for rainy and/or cold weather.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I agree I love the look of some of the sporty leather jackets but I don't know why none of them can actually reach my waist.
how do they fit you while on the bike? - that's the most important piece - my jackets almost hit my waste line but just barely. On the bike though i have full coverage.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I was the same way. I wanted a leather jacket but none of the dealers and accessory shops had anything I liked that fit. I was about to give up when I went by a Harley dealer and decided to stop in. At first I was put off because the majority of jackets had H-D in big orange or white letters on the sleeve. Then I found one that only had a subtle logo at the neck and it fit. It has been my favorite since then. I only use the mesh jacket when it gets hot.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
how do they fit you while on the bike? - that's the most important piece - my jackets almost hit my waste line but just barely. On the bike though i have full coverage.
The majority fit even worse, they come down on the front but when I lean forward it comes half way up my back. I have been eyeing up the Icon 1000 Hood and have gone back and forth for months, the other day I stopped by my local bike shop and they had one in XL I tried it on and same thing while standing it is 2 to 3 inches above my belt line and when I get into riding position it comes up a good 6 inches up my back. Super frustrating :mad:

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
i'm personally not a fan of Icon gear for multiple reasons but I won't get into that as it's beating a dead horse at this point to the people who have been on this forum for awhile.

I have an Astars Jaws Perf leather jacket - i use for most riding situations unless it's super hot out - even with perf, you turn into a roast turkey over 85 degrees if you're not moving.

For those hot days commuting i have a Astars Viper Air Jacket - it's fantastic (and hi viz which helps).

I also just bought a Tour Master Centurion 1 piece suit for longer/ colder rides - haven't tested this one out yet.

Dianese and Rev It also make similar jackets for a similar price - it's just easy to buy from the same brand once you find something you like because you can often switch out your armor (i put my upgraded CE level 2 back protector in either of my A* jackets).

If you're having trouble finding a jacket that's long enough - you may want to consider more of a touring type jacket that has better coverage

Something like this:
Alpinestars Valparaiso Drystar Jacket - RevZilla

All of these jackets also have tall sizes
Summer Motorcycle Jackets - RevZilla

Some differ on this but I believe you get what you pay for when it comes to gear. If you cheap out - don't expect it to hold up well when you need it most - some will say this is BS - maybe it is - but i'd rather be safe than sorry. Like everything in life - buying a jacket is a mix between how much you want to shell out and how you much you value saving your ass in a crash.

a $15,000 jacket isn't going to help you if you collide with a car at 85mph head on - but i've seen a few guys low side this year and the ones that came out unscathed always had good gear on.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I wear a Joe rocket sonic 2.0. Got it gently used off eBay about 6 years ago. It's still going strong. Had the front zipper replaced a couple years ago, but no other issues. If I had to nitpick it, I'd say it's a little short. Comes right below my belly button.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy 5 S using Tapatalk

·
Registered
612 Posts
For summer riding I wear an Olympia Switchback mesh jacket:
image.jpg

For winter weather I wear an Icon Patol jacket:
image.jpg

·
Super Moderator
5,752 Posts
This is what I ride in most of the time, almost without regard to the temperatures.

The Olympia Airglide jacket and pants are what I use mostly on the ST1300

·
Registered
190 Posts
I walked into the showroom to buy my FZ-09 with no jacket, just gloves and a helmet. The only jacket that fit me in their showroom, depressingly enough, was the Alpinestars T-GP Plus-R Air Textile Jacket. I didn't like the black/white/yellow color scheme at the time, but the visibility is really good and it flows a lot of air. That was a life saver later on in the summer when the temperatures reached well over 100 degrees in my area.

Alpinestars-T-GP-Plus-R-Air-Textile-Jacket.jpg

Now, for colder weather riding and MUCH more crash protection, I stepped up my game to a Dianese Avro C2 leather jacket. I LOVE this jacket. It makes me feel so much better protected. I also got it in all black so I can wear it off the bike when I've ridden somewhere but don't want to leave my jacket anywhere. Between the two jackets, I have all 4 riding seasons here in SoCal covered.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Im cheap I bought a used leather armored hein gerick jacket for cold weather and a armored exelement for nice weather.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just bought a Rev'It! Ignition 2. I really like it and supposedly it can be used in all seasons. It's fairly cold in Atlanta right now and it's keeping me pretty warm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
957 Posts
My main jacket is an Alpinestars Jaws perforated leather jacket.

I wear it whenever weather permits. I have a Dainese Air Flux mesh/textile jacket for those occasions where a perf leather jacket doesn't vent well enough, and a Cortech waterproof textile jacket with a removable insulated liner for when it's either going to be chilly or rainy.

·
Registered
835 Posts
...jacket?

ldIjZmz.jpg

1 - 20 of 111 Posts