Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I looked around in "general discussion" and "performance" and I also tried searching, but I only found 1 thread about MPG. I am strongly considering this bike as my new commuter and I wanted a real idea of MPG. Anyone help out here?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Throwing around town and a bit of freeway you should average 40 MPG. I got 47 MPG cruising @ 70 MPH at constant speed like I would do on a long ride on the slab.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
136 Posts
I don't know whether mine is an anomaly or not. Rest assured, I don't ride slow, but I do upshift to higher gears on the straights, as there is enough torque to do that. My overall average, from mile 1 to mile 700 is 50.3. This is by the gauge, which has never been reset, and may be slightly optimistic. I do not ride in town and have to go no more than 3 miles to get to the twisty country roads that I prefer.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I don't know whether mine is an anomaly or not. Rest assured, I don't ride slow, but I do upshift to higher gears on the straights, as there is enough torque to do that. My overall average, from mile 1 to mile 700 is 50.3. This is by the gauge, which has never been reset, and may be slightly optimistic. I do not ride in town and have to go no more than 3 miles to get to the twisty country roads that I prefer.
My gauge said 55 MPG or something like that. Not sure if it's becausr of the fuel controller or the gauge is just that off. Check real MPG for fun (measure at fill up)

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've gotten consistently better gas mileage as the break in got over. I'm at about 980 miles now and within the last 300 miles the average on the bikes dash went up from 37.2 to 39.8 and I assume with synthetic it will continue to rise.

Also if you have android ( not sire if it is on iOS) fuel log is free and useful!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
Martin,I measured at one fill to a second fill and it was a tad under 45 m.p.g. At the time, my overall gauge mileage was showing 47.5, so my best estimate at the time was about 3 mpg less than gauge measurement.
Close enough for me, as my 1200 Bandit can't get but about 33 m.p.g.
In order to give blackclu an approximation, I feel 45 is fairly easily obtainable, IMHO.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Martin,I measured at one fill to a second fill and it was a tad under 45 m.p.g. At the time, my overall gauge mileage was showing 47.5, so my best estimate at the time was about 3 mpg less than gauge measurement.
Close enough for me, as my 1200 Bandit can't get but about 33 m.p.g.
In order to give blackclu an approximation, I feel 45 is fairly easily obtainable, IMHO.
Ya I think it's part of the fuel controller cheating the ECU (piggyback) at 60 MPG the dash give me like stupid numbers... 60-65 MPG sometime. Not that I care anyway on what the dash says. Lol

Bottom line is 125 to 140 milea a tank is good enough on a naked bike for me. :) If MPG were my priority I would have bough a scooter . :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I am not that terribly concerned about the gas mileage but I am concerned about the miles to empty. I get between 165-180 miles on my beemer before the low fuel light begins blinking and can get 200+ miles out of a tank full and I am always almost running out. Some of the places I like to ride have gas stations 100+ miles apart and if I take any squiggly side roads I think I will wind up pushing. I hate having to stop ever 50 miles or so to top up because I don't know where the next station is also, it sure kills how far I can travel in a day...and I do like to travel. Come spring I will decide weather to keep both or sell one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts