Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but this just fell off the front brake area of my bike whilst I was washing it.

Can anyone help me identify it.. and how do i put it back on?

Thanks

Finger Rectangle Material property Font Gesture
Finger Rectangle Thumb Font Temperature

·
Registered
206 Posts
It didn't come off the brake it's a wheelweight probably the cleaner you used softened the double sided tape holding it to the wheel

Go on Amazon or wherever and by identical weights, clean the wheel and put him back Where it was if there's any other left To show you the approximate location

otherwise you should rebalance the wheel and tire

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does it have to go exactly where it was on the wheel? I know which side it came off. But not of the exact location. I peeled the old adhesive off, cleaned it and I added some new adhesive I had. 3M stuff so I think it will do the job. Currently the weight is clamped with the adhesive. I'll clean the wheel and stick it back on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes it will need to go back where it was, otherwise your wheel will be out of balance. Can you find the spot where the adhesive was??? Only other option would be to rebalance the wheel.
It hasn't left any mark on the rim. Looks like I'll be taking a trip to the tyre shop before the commute into work tomorrow.

Assuming it's not a terribly good idea to be riding around without it on.

·
Registered
674 Posts
It hasn't left any mark on the rim. Looks like I'll be taking a trip to the tyre shop before the commute into work tomorrow.

Assuming it's not a terribly good idea to be riding around without it on.
If you feel a severe vibration while riding ( doubtful) then you'll want to get it rebalanced ASAP.

Otherwise, you might just feel a little hop/vibration while you ride which isn't the end of the world for a day or two til you get it fixed up.

Or lift the front tire off the ground with the brake calipers removed ( to prevent drag on the rotors) and the heavy spot of the wheel/tire will go to the bottom because gravity. Stick your weight back on at 12 o'clock (180° opposite the heavy spot) and you're golden. 👍

·
Registered
206 Posts
I don't know if you need to pull the calipers if you just Remove the pads You can do the same thing But yes as I said you need to have the weight somewhat close both in position and weight + there's no guarantee that they were adequate or located properly in the 1st place But I would presume you would have felt something at high speed before this happened

My front wheel takes a lot of weight and only 10 g are even 20 doesn't seem like a lot

·
Super Moderator
5,843 Posts
To me, that almost looks like a section of a brake pad has broken off from the rest of the pad. I would check both inner and outer pads on both sides of the front wheel brakes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts