Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a rear stand - i dont even know the brand - it was $60. Holds the rear up fine - i have no problem getting the bike up or down - the metal of the stands has scratched some of the paint off my rear spools but they were $20 i could care less.

I'm looking for a front stand to prop the front end up when the bike is sitting in my driveway - i keep it covered outside with the rear stand on but would like to also get the front off the ground for when it rains, storage in the winter etc.

I found this stand on amazon for a similar price to what i paid for my rear one - $60

Amazon.com: MotoStance M-1 Front Stand - Black: Automotive

The cheapest front stand i could find on revzilla was somewhere north of $100 - so what gives - it's 2 wheels and a handle, am I missing something? I keep the stands mounted to the bike outside so i'm hesistant to drop a premium on stands when they'll get wet/need replacement periodically anyway.

Lastly, i have woodcraft axel sliders - does anyone use this type of stand with those installed? - I know the front stand pushes up on the fork itself and not the sliders but wonder if that creates any issues?

I'm also debating just getting a triple tree front stand and move the horn out of the way - but unsure if that causes any issues with long term mounting using that type of stand?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I have only had to think about this recently. I thought you had it down with your ladder innovation! ;)
I have the Moto-Stance rear stand and has worked pretty well for me.

Helping a friend sort out a old 250 nighthawk, we had to remove the bent forks. So we just rested the front of the engine/frame on some wooden blocks and took out the forks. Something like this guy:

To clean the front wheels, I got a $20 wheel roller stand to rotate the wheels. Never had the need to lift the front for anything else so far. Seeing all the options, I feel a center lift stand would be the best solution, like this bad boy:

However, having had bikes with center-stands, I feel it would be a better investment as I can do repairs on the road and can lift either ends (one at a time though) with it. I have had the front wheel/forks removed as well with only the center-stand- though not sure that's a good idea to do every time. And if you need to keep off both wheels off the ground, you definitely need two stands (or that $400+ lift stand)

Whats the cheapest Triple tree stand?

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it depends on brand - you can find them for like $70 or a pitbull runs like $150 - with the pitbull you can do a triple tree stand or a fork lift stand for like 175.

All the cheap stands on revzilla get fairly poor reviews while the premium ones do not - obviously that's not shocking but aside from material quality - which i assume is the big difference - i can't see much else in terms of a front stand.

I'm like to avoid 1 stand lifting the whole bike up as that's how i store it outside and for long periods of time - i'd prefer to have 2 stands to distribute the weight better (i may be wrong in saying that but makes sense in my head i guess).

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Cycle Gear Retail Stores have a monthly sale flyer that often includes stands at 50% off their regular $79 price. It may not be the highest quality stand but for $39.99 it doesn't seem to have any problem doing the job.

It's brand new & it works.:cool:

·
Registered
962 Posts
I have a triple tree stand and just slip it in past my horn with no problem. I paid $135.99 on Ebay for a pair (front and rear) of blemished GPI stands in 2013... Nice stands - sturdier than what the local shops sold. I had PitBull stands years ago - never had a problem with them but didn't like the single handle (or the price). I like the GPI stands better.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I picked up a 39.99 Venom rear stand on amazon last year. Honestly I can't imagine spending more than that. I put my bike up on the stand mid november and there it sat until the end of may. I even got up on it a few times, like an idiot, and it did just fine.

Reactions: yamfz09

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I picked up a 39.99 Venom rear stand on amazon last year. Honestly I can't imagine spending more than that. I put my bike up on the stand mid november and there it sat until the end of may. I even got up on it a few times, like an idiot, and it did just fine.
i saw those on amazon as well - reviews were mixed so glad to hear you had a good experience with it - i may go that route - if it sucks - i'll get something nicer. i spent a bit more on my rear stand so if for some really odd reason the front gives out - hopefully the back stays up but among the negative reviews no one commented that that was an issue.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I went with the venom set as well, front and rear. Happy with the rear. The front works but it's difficult to get it to grab right however for 75$ for the set I'm happy

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Beck, if I was leaving the bike on the rear stand all Winter long then I would buy a premium stand. But if it was only for chain maintenance and I was there all the time the bike was on the stand and when I was done the bike would come off the stand, then I wouldn't mind choosing a cheap one.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I use the Venom stands front and rear. Can't see how anyone could make a negative review of these stands. All it does is lift the bike. They both require adjusting to the widths of your axles,....on your bike...but it if people can't do that...they shouldn't own a bike.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've had PitBull stands since 1995 and consider them a lifetime investment. Considering how rock solid stable they've been and how many bikes they've supported, it was money well spent. Prior to 1995, I had what were supposedly good race stands from Lockhart Phillips. About 1/3 less expensive than the Pitbulls and nowhere near as well designed or built...and I had one bike come crashing down off of it. Never again, I'd rather spend the money on something I have zero doubts about.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I use the Venom set like others. Pretty cheap on price. Rears stand is great. I'm not too confident on the front fork stand holding the bike up so i'll be getting the triple tree adapter than you add to the front stand.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Cycle Gear Retail Stores have a monthly sale flyer that often includes stands at 50% off their regular $79 price. It may not be the highest quality stand but for $39.99 it doesn't seem to have any problem doing the job.

It's brand new & it works.:cool:
I'll put on my flame suit and agree with Steve here. So far my experiences with Cycle Gear have been pretty good although a lot of people feel like they're the Harbor Freight of motorcycle accessories/apparel.

The pair I bought from them last year kept my bike up in the garage all winter long. I've never felt like they've been unstable and I usually use them when washing so I can rotate the rims and chain freely on my sloped driveway. The front pushes up on the forks using some flat rubber supports so scratching isn't an issue but there's no way to use it with a triple tree mount in case you have to work on the forks. I've even rolled the bike while on both stands into its winter hibernating spot with no trouble (which only works in straight lines, btw).

No complaints here.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I use the Venom set like others. Pretty cheap on price. Rears stand is great. I'm not too confident on the front fork stand holding the bike up so i'll be getting the triple tree adapter than you add to the front stand.
I felt the same way, I didn't trust using the front stand the way your supposed to so instead I place it just behind the bottom of the fork so both "fingers?" Are under the brake caliper mount, works much better and I trust it 200% more

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I've used cheap cycle gear stands and they work fine. I don't like them when they bolt together as it creates a moment/slight lateral movement when propping the bike up. They work fine but once you use pitbulls, or equivalent, you'll realize how much sturdier they are vs. the cheapies.

I bought Pitbull front and rear stands and they'll last for the rest of my riding time. I didn't have to move my horn out of the way with my triple tree stand either.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Pit bull stamds are about 2-3x stronger than cheapo stands and stronger = more stable.

I csn tell you from experience that it is annoying as hell to have your bike damaged due to falling off a cheapo stand.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
For the back I've got an old "superbike" stand that came with several spools and for the front I mainly use Oxford's "BigBlackBike" stand. It clears the Woodcraft sliders by a whisker or two. I also have a no-name triple tree stand that needs boards under it to lift the bike high enough, plus the largest pin that came with it wasn't big enough, but some tin and tape fixed that! Going cheap has some disadvantages...

1 - 20 of 62 Posts