Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I think I will finally replace the stock rubbers with Pilot 4s next weekend.
What is the average cost of replacing the tires (not including the price of tires)? Is there a tire disposal fee that users have to pay?
One dealer here says $75 per wheel- is that normal?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I've never paid for the install itself provided I have the shop where I bought the tires install them as well. They do nail me for an hours labor at $75/hr, tho'. $150 to get 2 tires mounted and balanced seems a bit on the high side to me...

·
Registered
313 Posts
Local shop here in north GA that specializes in motorcycle tires does the whole deal (dismount and dispose of old tires, mount and balance new ones) for $45 as long as I bring just the wheels off the bike. They also don't care where I got the tires, which is nice (a few shops I've called flat out refused to mount unless I bought the tires from them). No idea what they'd charge if I rode in though, but I'd imagine it'd be in that $75 ballpark.

I think the tire fee here is around $3-4 per tire.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
$75 per wheel, with wheels still on the bike (ie ride-in service), seems a little high but not outrageous.

$75 per wheel, with wheels already removed (ie carry-in service), is outrageous.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
I'm in Aus, so I don't know about cost in the US, but....
Here in Sydney, it's about $50 a tire if you didn't buy them from the shop, for ride in, ride out.
It makes sense because it takes about half an hour a wheel (wheel out tire off, tire on, balanced, wheel back in) and shops here charge out around $100 an hour.
If you buy them at the shop, it's usually a bit less.
Does this shop you went to really charge out at $150 and hour?
And I have pr4s, they are brilliant street tyres.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
You fellas need to make friends with the owners of these shops. If I buy a tire, I'm getting it mounted for 10 bucks or free. 75 a tire is NUTS.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
I pay $80.00 for mounting 2 tires when I bring in just the wheels..no idea what they charge if you bring the whole bike...

·
Registered
570 Posts
Motorcycle dealers here typically charge around $40/tire off the bike, regardless of where I buy the tires. One independent repair shop charges $50 front/$60 rear on the bike if I buy the tires through the shop, it's about $20 more if I buy the tires elsewhere. The dealerships are around $70-$75 per tire on the bike, regardless of where I buy the tires. There was a local guy who only charged around $28/tire off the bike, but he retired (no pun intended).

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Actually. it really depends on where you live.
In bigger city type area that cost goes up alot. For instance, in NYC I hear it is around $125 per tire!

Think about it, if its wheels on the bike, the shop has to do a good bit of work to swap the tires...and if they are using a skilled mechanic, the labor rate can be> $100/hr
do you want an unskilled lackey working on your machine? These shops have to make profit...reality is that stuff costs more these days.

If you can, look into getting some equipment and doing the work yourself. it requires some garage space, and some small investment in tools (couple hundred) but then you are completely self sufficient. You can even balance at home, etc. There are some tire changing threads on this forum...check the DIY section

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ah, thanks for the inputs.
Dealer shop actually giving me everything for around $400 (tires and install with tax)- they were okay with sending in the tires as well but offered me this "deal"..so it comes out to about $70 odd for the install. I am taking in the bike - so they remove old tires, replace with new ones- I probably will dispose off tires myself-and fit and align.
This, after I told them that I was getting the PR4 set for $300 delivered (check out Compacc for this package deal)- which surprised them- so I guess they took off some from their usual install price. I may try to squeeze in some free service which will be just a bunch of checks and adjustments- I've already replaced the oil.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Actually. it really depends on where you live.
In bigger city type area that cost goes up alot. For instance, in NYC I hear it is around $125 per tire!

Think about it, if its wheels on the bike, the shop has to do a good bit of work to swap the tires...and if they are using a skilled mechanic, the labor rate can be> $100/hr
do you want an unskilled lackey working on your machine? These shops have to make profit...reality is that stuff costs more these days.

If you can, look into getting some equipment and doing the work yourself. it requires some garage space, and some small investment in tools (couple hundred) but then you are completely self sufficient. You can even balance at home, etc. There are some tire changing threads on this forum...check the DIY section
I agree. I am in NYC and the price I quoted was from my dealer- if it were the Ducati shop in Manhattan it would be twice I am sure. I have had conversations with the owner and I am aware of the struggles to stay afloat dealers have to go through- esp since he is not social network savvy as some other dealers I know.

Being in a apartment building, I barely have space to park, let alone garage space. Have to find a good garage to rent space and then possibly I will be doing the DIY route (I do chain cleaning, installing farkles and other basic maintenance in front of the building). But things like tire change happen ever 4-5k miles or even 10-12K miles, so I guess forking out a bit of extra money to support a local business isn't too much of a hit. Just wanted to see what the average rate is across the board.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Local dealer's service department is glad I bring in loose wheels/tires and that they don't have to do the R&R. Yesterday I had a set of tires mounted and balanced (Vstrom) along with new valve stems for $42.50, which is a 1/2 hour of their hourly shop rate. I was very happy with both the service and the price.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Just had my Q3's put on by a local shop cost $120 for both with ride in service.

·
Registered
418 Posts
If you have a cycle gear locally I believe they will do the tires for $20 and free balance.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I'm a big fan of DIY tire changing and balancing with hand tools, was easy 11 years ago for my SV650. Will have to see how it goes with modern tires and my 56 year old and a bit arthritic hands lol. Already a factor in a likely switch from the Dunlop Q3 to the Michelin Pilot Power 2CT for my first post Bridgestone tires. The other factor is the stiff side walls of the Q3 on my frequently rough roads.

·
Super Moderator
4,452 Posts
Wheels off the bike. Mounted, balanced and tire disposal fee $50 for the pair.
Atlanta

·
Registered
666 Posts
In our area, about $35-$40 per wheel mount n balance. Carry in. Dude who does mine doesn't put a nick anywhere on the rim. Spotless, like brand new. Uses a machine with plastic/nylon clamps and doesn't pry anywhere on the rim with the iron. There's a cool drop down arm that supports the iron away from the bead.
I usually buy him some beer and give a few bucks extra.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
These numbers are just insane... Sorry. 20 at cycle gear is what I was quoted too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,452 Posts
While some may have had a good experience with cycle gear, i did not. The kid trying to mount a set for me years ago, cocked it up.
I do the tires for my DR650 myself.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts