Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
13721 - 13740 of 13767 Posts

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
Good luck!

I have had 1 shoulder and 1 lumbar spine surgeries along with my prostate in 7 months; the shoulder in March. Unfortunately both shoulders need to be redone, a second lumbar and first cervical are a distinct possibility, my right elbow is a question, then there's carpal tunnel in my right wrist, both thumbs got bent back to my wrists and are damaged and arthritis freezes both hands up. It's hard to clutch and brake when your fingers cramp up. At least my 3rd prostate ream job seems like it'll be good for hopefully the duration although they said that after my 2nd in 16.

My other health issues are not so straightforward.

But we gotta keep keeping on.

I'm putting off anything invasive till winter again. I just want to get a little riding in before however difficult.

Keep us apprised on your progress. You can farkle your SP until you can ride it.
Dang, that's rough. After 8 weeks I went for a ride, and the thumb started getting sore from braking. I ordered some Theraband flexbars to strengthen my thumb and wrists. Two days later I visited my doctor and he told me to wait a month or two to start riding. LMAO.
Plant Sky Cloud Road surface Gesture

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
1,677 Posts
Dang, that's rough. After 8 weeks I went for a ride, and the thumb started getting sore from braking. I ordered some Theraband flexbars to strengthen my thumb and wrists. Two days later I visited my doctor and he told me to wait a month or two to start riding. LMAO.
View attachment 172407
Funny - my doctor scolded me for riding to my follow up appointment after my shoulder surgery. I reminded him of what he told me in the recovery room "if it doesn't hurt you can do it, but as soon as it starts to be sore you should stop" - riding for 30 or 40 minutes didn't hurt a bit.

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
1,677 Posts
M View attachment 172419
View attachment 172420
View attachment 172417
View attachment 172421
View attachment 172418 passenger handles from china € 35; maybe they are not beautiful, but they are practical and comfortable to hold.
I think they look fine. HOw much time does your bike spend outdoors uncovered? The bigest problem I've found with a lot of the 'cheap' china alternatives is that the finish isn't UV stable so after a year they turn colors, or you have to paint them or have them powder coated.

·
Registered
Batmobile
1,135 Posts
Hey Dave, can't wait to see your final project. Please start a new thread on this build so I can follow your progress. Hoping you stick with the neon yellow gray look.
I'll have to start one with the photos from tonight, got a lot of stuff finally done. As for color, I'm not sure yet, but I'm leaning towards a light blue. Whatever I do it'll be obnoxious so @MK3Brent will hate it. You should come out to CMP October 15/16.
I think they look fine. HOw much time does your bike spend outdoors uncovered? The bigest problem I've found with a lot of the 'cheap' china alternatives is that the finish isn't UV stable so after a year they turn colors, or you have to paint them or have them powder coated.
Someone who's already tagged in this post has some nice gold ones that started off black from fading. 😂

Reactions: Camp49

·
Registered
206 Posts
I've been riding for a while now and deferred more surgery until this riding season ends. .

Pushing, rolling and pulling the bike around is not too painful if I keep it to a minimum. If it started to tip over is another thing, and along with my lumbar spine (which despite fusion a year ago, has reared its ugly head, and I had approximately by 6th Steroidal lumbar epidural under floriscope a week ago to hopefully calm things down), I wouldn't attempt to pick it up without help. However even after 260 miles I'm OK, mostly, more than that I'm not sure.

Due to my back I have become practiced in the Cowbow mount and dismount.

I also must periodically exercise my neck while riding due to herniated C5 & C6 but it is only a real pain in the... when I'm on my VTR.

I MUST wear a "PUSH" thumb brace on my left hand when riding or doing manual labor. If you can get a glove over it, it works well.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Should've taken pics but maybe 2 weeks ago I installed a zx6rr shock in my bike and wow, its amazing. I used the suzuki bolt and spacer so it was a plug and play mod. Make sure to trim the reservoir as well for more clearance Night and day difference and definitely worth the 100$. Stupid hard to find now.

For any future people who may try this install. Have friends, food and beer. Set of wrenches, sockets, extensions, and a way to lift the rear
  • remove seat, tank
  • remove CA evap if you have it (delete it with a vaccum cap)
  • lift rear of the bike. I used ratchet straps on the subframe to an A frame Ladder. Front stand helps as well.
  • Remove top bolt through frame
  • Remove bottom bolt
  • Slide out old shock from below
  • Insert new shock reservoir facing up
  • bolt in the top first
  • have a friend lift and adjust rear wheel height to line up bottom bolt
  • Knock out the old spacer, use suzuki bolt, spacer, nut
  • Rotate the ground wire on the starter. This part was actually very tedious. Make sure you have someone with small hands..
  • put it back together and enjoy!

Overall took maybe 2 hours of work. First time removing tank and working under the bike, not too bad at all.

Love this bike now. Next up is the fork, what do people recommend? Any good shops in the SF bay?

·
Registered
26 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
The reservoir is a cheap brembo unit you can buy anywhere. It’s attached to a galespeed 17mm master cylinder that’s outstanding performance.
Can you adjust the reservoir so it's more vertical?

I run 2014 R1 320 rotors, with spacers and longer bolts, and Brembo Radial master cylinder

Of course braided lines, I like Speigler, and HH+ pads.

·
Administrator
3,304 Posts
Can you adjust the reservoir so it's more vertical?

I run 2014 R1 320 rotors, with spacers and longer bolts, and Brembo Radial master cylinder

Of course braided lines, I like Speigler, and HH+ pads.
The bracket can be bent, sure. Doesn’t bother me personally, so I left it as is.

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
1,677 Posts
Added a little more red. I think I like it, but I may remove it and paint it a 'brighter' red so it matches the wheels/spring a bit better. I've got plenty left. Also thinking I may replace the screen on the plastic ignition cover with red, and maybe fill in the 'little' frame triangle with it.
Human body Sleeve Wood Thigh Finger
Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Grille
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Land vehicle Vehicle
Tire Fuel tank Plant Wheel Automotive fuel system

13721 - 13740 of 13767 Posts