Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
13701 - 13720 of 13767 Posts

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
Holy you know what

what did they do cause I have bad thumbs too going back 40 plus years
I broke my right thumb, at twelve years of age, duck hunting, shooting a right-handed shotgun in my usual left-handed stance. The bolt handle shattered my right thumb. At the time, they had no choice but to let it heal, eschewed. Fifty years of motocross and street riding reached a point of severe arthritic pain for me. They cleaned up the metacarpal bazal joint, pinned it, and removed the trapezium bone as well as part of the trapezoid bone (Trapeziectomy). They removed part of my flexor carpi radialis tendon and used it to suspend my thum as well as connecting it to my trapezoid bone. I will no longer have trigger finger, and will have decent range of motion. The pain is gone, but getting my range of motion and thumb strength back is going to take several months. I figured my SP would show up before I was able to ride again, but that is still looking bleak with no ETA in sight.
Before
Joint Jeans Shoe Leg Human body

After
Hand Sleeve Gesture Grass Wood

·
Registered
206 Posts
Good luck!

I have had 1 shoulder and 1 lumbar spine surgeries along with my prostate in 7 months; the shoulder in March. Unfortunately both shoulders need to be redone, a second lumbar and first cervical are a distinct possibility, my right elbow is a question, then there's carpal tunnel in my right wrist, both thumbs got bent back to my wrists and are damaged and arthritis freezes both hands up. It's hard to clutch and brake when your fingers cramp up. At least my 3rd prostate ream job seems like it'll be good for hopefully the duration although they said that after my 2nd in 16.

My other health issues are not so straightforward.

But we gotta keep keeping on.

I'm putting off anything invasive till winter again. I just want to get a little riding in before however difficult.

Keep us apprised on your progress. You can farkle your SP until you can ride it.

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
1,677 Posts
Still running 50/50 type tires for dirt and street?
They are more like 80/20 tires - but yes - I've still got about 50% left on the front so I'm replacing the rear only with a matching shinko 705. I've been happy with them and I've gotten nearly 8k out of the rear and it wasn't completely bald yet like the last 3 rears that only lasted 3k.
When the front wears out I think I'm going to try a set of the dunlop mutants.

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
1,677 Posts
Little love for the rear wheel, new tire all mounted up, touched up a bunch of chips in the paint, and added a little splash of red.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

Not today but about a month ago installed a morimoto sealed 7 2.0 led headlight that I found a good deal on on ebay

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Vehicle

And just because, the whole bike.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive lighting

·
Registered
674 Posts
Front wheel got the same treatment, a little touch up and some red rim tape.
View attachment 172305
Removed the plastic cover and painted my yamaha red
View attachment 172303
Installed some tracer/fj passenger pedal brackets so my 10yr old isn't as cramped when he rides with me.
View attachment 172304
My heels are always banging in to the passenger pegs. I didn't know about the FJ pegs. Which way do they move the pegs? Straight down, or...?

Also, what cage is that? I dig it.

·
Administrator
3,304 Posts
With the colder weather around the corner, I decided it was time to invest in some tire warmers for the track.
My intention is to ride the last couple months of the season as much as I can before tearing the FZ down for winter maintenance.
Several friends I met at the track have been using these relatively inexpensive warmers sold by STG. They're made by Chickenhawk, and everyone I've spoken to seem to like them.
I'll give them a go. :)

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Bicycle tire Sleeve

·
Registered
221 Posts
Changed the oil and tightened the chain. I will need a new chain next year for sure.

Also Im 50/50 as I think I might of used a 1/4 quart of left over REG oil in there vs all Proper MC Oil......
I didnt drain it all back out like I should have and redid it. Im hoping only being a little and a left over quart I had does anything terrible? I also cleaned her up..........and made her feel pretty

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
1,677 Posts
My heels are always banging in to the passenger pegs. I didn't know about the FJ pegs. Which way do they move the pegs? Straight down, or...?

Also, what cage is that? I dig it.
The cage is a higdoniin gen 1 trail cage. The exhaust has to fit tight to the bike or it won't fit.
Here is my post about it.

The fj brackets move the pegs down, out and a little bit forward. Here are a couple comparison photos with the stock brackets.

Here with the stock bracket 'behind' the FJ one you can see the 'down and out' movement.
Tire Land vehicle Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire

And here it is 'in front' of the FJ bracket where you can see the down and forward changes.
Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle

With the passenger pegs folded out I can put my toes on the rider pegs and my heals on the passenger pegs, sort of like floor boards. I wear a size 13 hiking boot when I ride. I haven't noticed that these get 'in the way' when I'm riding by myself but its only been a few days....

·
Super Moderator
4,624 Posts
Also Im 50/50 as I think I might of used a 1/4 quart of left over REG oil in there vs all Proper MC Oil......
I didnt drain it all back out like I should have and redid it. Im hoping only being a little and a left over quart I had does anything terrible? I also cleaned her up..........and made her feel pretty
Don't sweat the oil.

·
Registered
674 Posts
The cage is a higdoniin gen 1 trail cage. The exhaust has to fit tight to the bike or it won't fit.
Here is my post about it.

The fj brackets move the pegs down, out and a little bit forward. Here are a couple comparison photos with the stock brackets.

Here with the stock bracket 'behind' the FJ one you can see the 'down and out' movement.
View attachment 172364

And here it is 'in front' of the FJ bracket where you can see the down and forward changes.
View attachment 172365

With the passenger pegs folded out I can put my toes on the rider pegs and my heals on the passenger pegs, sort of like floor boards. I wear a size 13 hiking boot when I ride. I haven't noticed that these get 'in the way' when I'm riding by myself but its only been a few days....
That's super helpful. I didn't intend for you to go way out of your way to show the differences, but I appreciate it! Thank you.

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
1,677 Posts
That's super helpful. I didn't intend for you to go way out of your way to show the differences, but I appreciate it! Thank you.
You are very welcome, I still had the old brackets laying in the garage so it took all of about 10 seconds to hold it up and snap a picture while I was on my way out to work. Like you I expected that it would move the passenger pegs 'back' but they actually move 'forward' just a bit.

13701 - 13720 of 13767 Posts