Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
13521 - 13540 of 13578 Posts

·
Registered
16 fz09
330 Posts
What's in that gold urn?
My father's ashes were in there for his services about a year ago but he had to be put in a smaller box to go in the wall with his brother. He was killed on his Harley by a dui driver. Some of his ashes stayed with me and is on my key ring so he rides with me now
Tire Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Wheel

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Sometime in the next couple of weeks, it will be maintenance day. Oil, filter, air filter, valve cover gasket, chain and sprockets are all here. Will get to try out the new (to me) sync tool while I'm at it.

Then, if the weather ever warms up, (global warming my ass!) maybe I'll get to burn up some dead dinosaurs! Temps have been 20* colder than average for weeks, it snowed Mon, Tue, and Wed this week again.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Getting ready to join @MK3Brent and @Darf @NCBIKE.

changed oil and filter
tire pressure at 30 front 30 rear
drained engine ice coolant and added distilled water
took off mirrors and license plate
checked iridium plugs, they look good at 10,000 miles
cleaned and oiled k~n air filter
checked chain slack and cleaned and lubricated

Now I have to put a number on, unhook head light and tape front and rear lights.

·
Registered
2018 MT 09
960 Posts
Getting ready to join @MK3Brent and @Darf @NCBIKE.

changed oil and filter
tire pressure at 30 front 30 rear
drained engine ice coolant and added distilled water
took off mirrors and license plate
checked iridium plugs, they look good at 10,000 miles
cleaned and oiled k~n air filter
checked chain slack and cleaned and lubricated

Now I have to put a number on, unhook head light and tape front and rear lights.

Just don't be like me and forget your key in the ignition after pulling all the fuses! No fun needing to jump your bike at the track to make inspection.

·
Super Moderator
2,736 Posts
Just don't be like me and forget your key in the ignition after pulling all the fuses! No fun needing to jump your bike at the track to make inspection.
Ah man, what happened there?
You leave the ignition on overnight or something and it drained the battery?

·
Registered
2018 MT 09
960 Posts
Ah man, what happened there?
You leave the ignition on overnight or something and it drained the battery?
Yup, did all the track prep the day before and didn't notice until I went to find my key the next morning. At least I knew some track guys and was able to jump it when I showed up an hour before tech and just let it run, was fine after the first session, though the battery has never been the same. Didn't hold a charge like it used to so I just bought an antigravity battery. It was probably time as it's the factory battery on my '18.

·
Super Moderator
2,736 Posts
so I just bought an antigravity battery. It was probably time as it's the factory battery on my '18.
Yeah man, I got one of these batteries too. Very good choice. @psycoreefer even tested the “jumpstart” feature for us several times and says it works well. :cool:

Reactions: Muc

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Oh, also have plugs since I'm in there...this may be the weekend as our annual ride most likely will be rained out again this year, with 51* predicted for a high. The temp could be doable but not with rain. :mad:

·
Super Moderator
2,736 Posts
Details. What did he do? Did he teach you anything?: What differences did you notice after having it done?
Basically, out of the box settings for my AK-20's were pretty good, but I was experiencing a TINY bit of wiggle when barreling into turn one after heavy braking. Kendall noticed my travel on the forks weren't diving into the sweet spot, so he adjusted them to give me a little more. The rear shock was way too soft so he adjusted my pre-load as high as he could but said it was still about 4mm from enough. The rear was stepping out a little on slow speed turns when I gassed out.

I'm upgrading my rear shock soon to a K-Tech after talking to some folks about them.
My sag was stupid high. Like 40-45mm. So we're trying to get it all sorted. Also my rear height was a little low as well. So we raised it up.

Overall, the improvements made the bike easier to add throttle around long banking turns without disturbing the chassis.

Dave got his adjusted too.

·
Registered
Batmobile
1,045 Posts
Learned he need his shock rebuilt. I learned that a tuned suspension will hold you back or make riding at speeds unstable and dangerous. The stock front end on these bikes cranked all the way down is still too soft for a normal rider.

And that suspension techs don't like how Penske set up the shock for this bike.

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
1,849 Posts
Basically, out of the box settings for my AK-20's were pretty good, but I was experiencing a TINY bit of wiggle when barreling into turn one after heavy braking. Kendall noticed my travel on the forks weren't diving into the sweet spot, so he adjusted them to give me a little more. The rear shock was way too soft so he adjusted my pre-load as high as he could but said it was still about 4mm from enough. The rear was stepping out a little on slow speed turns when I gassed out.

I'm upgrading my rear shock soon to a K-Tech after talking to some folks about them.
My sag was stupid high. Like 40-45mm. So we're trying to get it all sorted. Also my rear height was a little low as well. So we raised it up.

Overall, the improvements made the bike easier to add throttle around long banking turns without disturbing the chassis.

Dave got his adjusted too.
I've had 2 K-Tech rear shocks and they're very good. K-Tech USA has really good support. Once you have a good base setup you can completely screw around with them to try how it reacts to changes. I thought you had an aftermarket rear shock already. You're going to feel like you have a new bike with the shock and cartridges.

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
1,849 Posts
Learned he need his shock rebuilt. I learned that a tuned suspension will hold you back or make riding at speeds unstable and dangerous. The stock front end on these bikes cranked all the way down is still too soft for a normal rider.

And that suspension techs don't like how Penske set up the shock for this bike.
What didn't he like?

·
Super Moderator
2,736 Posts
I thought you had an aftermarket rear shock already.
I have a Penske 8983 double clicker.
It's great, but needs servicing. After chatting with the pros, they're kinda selling me on the K-Tech setup.
I'm always up for trying different bits of gear.
Before Penske, I always ran Ohlins stuff... So let's give something else a whirl.

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
1,849 Posts
I have a Penske 8983 double clicker.
It's great, but needs servicing. After chatting with the pros, they're kinda selling me on the K-Tech setup.
I'm always up for trying different bits of gear.
Before Penske, I always ran Ohlins stuff... So let's give something else a whirl.
I had K-Tech cartridges on my last bike and Ohlins on my current. I really feel like they're all pretty equal.

13521 - 13540 of 13578 Posts