Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
13261 - 13280 of 13298 Posts

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle

Over the last few few days ive been doing little things I had put off.
Rolled the handelbars up and forward a bit- i hadbt adjusted them since i redid the seat and foot pegs.
Pic is of the tail/brake/indicators strip led under my plate. Indicators are lit up like a christmas tree now.

·
Registered
58 Posts
A man can't work or think straight until after breakfast so it's off to Mickeys diner for a Mickey special brunch & a latte. ☕ Cost £10.40 - prices are going up 😩

Food Tableware Ingredient Cuisine Dish

Then back home to HQ & set to work fitting the new Oxford grips. You need the sports grip version for the 09 & you'll have to trim 3mm off the ends with a sharp craft knife, easy enough. You'll also need to file down then sandpaper the throttle tube to allow the grip to slide on nicely. The control unit fits nicely onto the collar for the mirror, i flattened my bracket out a bit with a hammer & cut off a little bit of the bottom for a nice close fit. No need to remove the tank to hide the wires simply loosen the bolts holding the tank to give just a little room to poke the wires up & behind. These Oxford grips are great, nine heat settings on these new ones & they get deliciously toasty, too hot actually. I chose to wire direct back to the battery instead of using the Aux socket under the shroud by the headlamp. Looks like a factory fitment, nice 'n neatly sited.
Reflex camera Camera lens Camera Point-and-shoot camera Digital camera

My view of the cockpit from the seat. Everything is easy to find & falls to the eye. No sunlight glare due to placement it all works rather well.
Motor vehicle Gadget Automotive mirror Automotive lighting Mode of transport

·
Registered
124 Posts
Musical instrument Product Font Rectangle Compact cassette

@MK3Brent
Oxford says their grips will do a max of 122f, but they're sandbagging!

Tested the 07 and the 09, both peaked at 178f and would sit and bounce between 177-178, with the engine idling. Tested the "cold side" on both bikes, since folks claim the throttle tube side will run hotter. I never noticed a difference. Both are on similar aluminum bars. I know they get hotter at speed, so now I gotta pop the meter in the ram mount because I'm curious😁

Automotive tire Audio equipment Gadget Measuring instrument Engineering

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Sports equipment Steering wheel

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
View attachment 167552

@MK3Brent
Oxford says their grips will do a max of 122f, but they're sandbagging!

Tested the 07 and the 09, both peaked at 178f and would sit and bounce between 177-178, with the engine idling. Tested the "cold side" on both bikes, since folks claim the throttle tube side will run hotter. I never noticed a difference. Both are on similar aluminum bars. I know they get hotter at speed, so now I gotta pop the meter in the ram mount because I'm curious😁

View attachment 167553

View attachment 167554
I don’t have a thermocouple but my IR measurement was ~120-125° F. I’d say the oxfords are significantly hotter in practical use.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I tried to keep the tape wraps to a minimum and it was 68 in the shop. Not very scientific, but it makes me wonder where Oxford gets their numbers.

ANY heated grip is gonna feel amazing on a cold, rainy day..

·
Registered
124 Posts
I tried to keep the tape wraps to a minimum and it was 68 in the shop. Not very scientific, but it makes me wonder where Oxford gets their numbers. I don't trust my IR as far as I could throw it.

ANY heated grip is gonna feel amazing on a cold, rainy day..

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Happy monday, friends.

Today, the rear Galfer brake line and fresh fluid go in.
Next on the plans are probably a anti-gravity battery as a preventative maintenance thing. :cool:

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
That's it! I'm done! Got luggage, heated grips, charging port and my helmet lock. Hopefully just tires and oil from here on!
I meant to tell you... You're far from done. ;) There's so many other things you don't know you need yet. I'll have to come up there some day so you can try my woolich quick shifter with auto-blipper as well as the electronic cruise control.

The cruise control easily one of those 'I never had before, but will never have another bike without it' mods. :cool:

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
1,289 Posts
I meant to tell you... You're far from done. ;) There's so many other things you don't know you need yet. I'll have to come up there some day so you can try my woolich quick shifter with auto-blipper as well as the electronic cruise control.

The cruise control easily one of those 'I never had before, but will never have another bike without it' mods. :cool:
Cruise control and quick shifter are 2 options that I thought were totally over the top until I bought a motorcycle that had them standard. I too would never have a bike without either one now. As an added perk, I have bad arthritis and they both make it easier to ride for long periods of time.

·
Registered
124 Posts

I've learned to never say never. I thought the gear position indicator on my 07 was the gheyest thing I ever saw. " Who tf needs that?!" Now I'm pissed that every bike doesn't have one!

I do live in the mountains, so I've never used cruise control other than interstate runs, which I despise on a bike. Commute a couple hours each day for decades and owned vehicles with cruise, never used it.

Wouldn't mind playing with a quick shifter. Been thinking about dabbling in some drag racing again. I didn't think first gen ECU's would handle autoblip? Reckon it's fully standalone?

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I've learned to never say never. I thought the gear position indicator on my 07 was the gheyest thing I ever saw. " Who tf needs that?!" Now I'm pissed that every bike doesn't have one!

I do live in the mountains, so I've never used cruise control other than interstate runs, which I despise on a bike. Commute a couple hours each day for decades and owned vehicles with cruise, never used it.

Wouldn't mind playing with a quick shifter. Been thinking about dabbling in some drag racing again. I didn't think first gen ECU's would handle autoblip? Reckon it's fully standalone?
First gen computer flashed with Woolich’s race tools package. Uses the old O2 sensor wiring to trigger the QS/AB. It’s a blast.

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
3,115 Posts
I get a kick out of all the derision for cruise control (not just here). I see it all over the car forums, the Garage Journal, etc. I really don’t understand the hate for it.

You know what I do hate? When I’m on the freeway in my vehicle, cruise set at, say 79 mph. Someone comes from way back and passes me. Then they immediately pull into my lane and slow to 76. So I either have to tap my brakes and wait for them to speed up again so I can reset my cruise back to where I was, or I have to slide to the left and keep my speed set. But inevitably, as soon as I overtake them, they speed back up, pass me again, and the process repeats over and over until either I blast off and get away from them, or they finally realize they were doing 90 in the first place and get back to whatever it is they were doing. Sometimes this takes 20 or 30 minutes. Often, they’ll park themselves right in my blind spot, completely clueless about the hazard they are creating. So who’s the a**hole in this scenario, the person using their cruise control, or the person who thinks it’s stupid and won’t use it?

Not to mention the people on their phones who aren’t using the cruise. Studies have shown that when people on phones while driving are doing the talking, their speed tends to creep upward, and when they are listening to the other party they slow down. So now they’re being d*cks in two different ways at once! At least cruise control would minimize one of their d*ckhead attributes.

I don’t just use it on the interstate, either. There are sections of town that are common speedtraps, sometimes less than 1-mile stretches, and usually on downhill slopes. I’ll set the cruise at 4-5mph over the limit in just those stretches so I don’t accidentally let my speed climb to 6 or more over, because that’s when they start ticketing people.

As far as motorcycle cruise control systems go, I would love to have it! Most of the decent roads around here are an hour of superslab away, so that’s boring, and I‘ve always felt that it’s harder to keep a steady speed on a bike than it is in a vehicle, because the tiniest change in throttle position can make you speed up or slow down before you even realize it.

I’ve never owned a bike with cruise control, but it would be a welcome addition on anything I buy in the future…

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I get a kick out of all the derision for cruise control (not just here). I see it all over the car forums, the Garage Journal, etc. I really don’t understand the hate for it.

You know what I do hate? When I’m on the freeway in my vehicle, cruise set at, say 79 mph. Someone comes from way back and passes me. Then they immediately pull into my lane and slow to 76. So I either have to tap my brakes and wait for them to speed up again so I can reset my cruise back to where I was, or I have to slide to the left and keep my speed set. But inevitably, as soon as I overtake them, they speed back up, pass me again, and the process repeats over and over until either I blast off and get away from them, or they finally realize they were doing 90 in the first place and get back to whatever it is they were doing. Sometimes this takes 20 or 30 minutes. Often, they’ll park themselves right in my blind spot, completely clueless about the hazard they are creating. So who’s the a**hole in this scenario, the person using their cruise control, or the person who thinks it’s stupid and won’t use it?

Not to mention the people on their phones who aren’t using the cruise. Studies have shown that when people on phones while driving are doing the talking, their speed tends to creep upward, and when they are listening to the other party they slow down. So now they’re being d*cks in two different ways at once! At least cruise control would minimize one of their d*ckhead attributes.

I don’t just use it on the interstate, either. There are sections of town that are common speedtraps, sometimes less than 1-mile stretches, and usually on downhill slopes. I’ll set the cruise at 4-5mph over the limit in just those stretches so I don’t accidentally let my speed climb to 6 or more over, because that’s when they start ticketing people.

As far as motorcycle cruise control systems go, I would love to have it! Most of the decent roads around here are an hour of superslab away, so that’s boring, and I‘ve always felt that it’s harder to keep a steady speed on a bike than it is in a vehicle, because the tiniest change in throttle position can make you speed up or slow down before you even realize it.

I’ve never owned a bike with cruise control, but it would be a welcome addition on anything I buy in the future…
The new adaptive cruise control also looks neat.

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
3,115 Posts
Yeah, my mom’s Subaru has that, and I spend a lot of time driving her cross-country in it. You can set it for different distances to the vehicle ahead of you, but even the closest setting is still kinda far, and people will jump into that gap. The worst part is, sometimes you are behind someone and you don’t notice that they’re gradually slowing down, and the car is dutifully following them at the set distance. Then suddenly you realize you’re going 15mph slower than you meant to, and the left lane has been wide open the whole time. 🤦🏻‍♂️ I don’t mind nannies that you can control, but the Subaru does too many annoying little things that you can’t do anything about…

Reactions: Muc
13261 - 13280 of 13298 Posts