Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
13241 - 13260 of 13294 Posts

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
The SW Motech bag supports showed up from @PotholeDodger today. Thanks again,man!

This is how they want us to mount the clips? No! That's not discreet at all! I can see my snagging expensive riding pants on those.
View attachment 167490

So I rejiggered those buckles to just mount to the removable support arms so they don't stay on the bike always. As it worked out, it clips the bags directly to the support arms, so no need to disconnect the buckles anymore. Twofer!
View attachment 167491

I didn't like how the bags rode on the body of the bike( bought these 4 years ago when I got my 07) using the throwover Velcro ear things. Gravel dust is gnarly and I don't want my bags eating by bike up. Made those support plates that have stems that protrude to hang the bags on ( stems are machined down 5/8" bolts).

Those stems fit in to this cross tube. The stems lock in to the cross tube with aircraft t-handle pin thingys. I really don't know what they're called.
View attachment 167493

Turned up those little pass-thru spacers and hung the cross tube off the rearmost factory luggage rack mounting points. Pretty discreet once the bike is on the ground, and the bags standoff from my paint. Oughta re-machine this dude and countersink those bolts.

View attachment 167494

View attachment 167495

Rocked this setup on my 07 for 20,000+ miles. It's solid and the most discreet luggage mounting setup I could come up with.

View attachment 167496

Ready to weld up the luggage rack, but was out of argon. Doh! Rained out of working so got plenty of time to get the luggage situation sorted out this week. It's needs doing because camping season is here NOW!
Fellow camper. Your setup looks very similar to mine. I think the benefit of yours is with that spreader bar. My bags stay secure with the motech system, but probably don’t look super straight. 😆 Gonna get you a nice tank bag setup?
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Fuel tank

·
Registered
112 Posts
I used to do tank bags when I was too vain to to rock a luggage rack 😁 Haven't had one for ages, but I miss the simple convenience of slapping a magnet bag down and rolling.. What setup do you have? Is the tank surface well protected from scratches?

Not trying to sound like a garage queen with the scratches comments. I live on a gravel road and the dust is super aggressive. Anything rubbing the paint and it's trashed by the end of the week.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I used to do tank bags when I was too vain to to rock a luggage rack 😁 Haven't had one for ages, but I miss the simple convenience of slapping a magnet bag down and rolling.. What setup do you have? Is the tank surface well protected from scratches?

Not trying to sound like a garage queen with the scratches comments. I live on a gravel road and the dust is super aggressive. Anything rubbing the paint and it's trashed by the end of the week.
Yeah, love mine. Tank bags are the fanny packs of motorcycling. I have a GIVI setup that mounts to a flange bolted to the fuel filler bezel. It’s a quick release and keeps the bag from ever touching the tank.
Fuel tank Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Vehicle

·
Registered
112 Posts
Thanks, man. I'll look in to those.

Hey, are those eBay grab rails? Are they sturdy enough to tie things to? I figured the worst can happen it's they flex up against the seat pan, right?

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Thanks, man. I'll look in to those.

Hey, are those eBay grab rails? Are they sturdy enough to tie things to? I figured the worst can happen it's they flex up against the seat pan, right?
Yeah, they are. I got them from a member here a long time ago. Used to be black. They’re pretty flimsy since they just bolt up to the rear plastic under the seat. Probably not going anywhere though.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Gotcha, I wasn't sure how they mounted exactly. Two things I've learned that age poorly in the sun is anodizing and carbon fiber.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
I designed and welded the supports up. Quick trip to the hardware store. The bolt locations were marked on the side panels, drill and go.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I can measure my Oxford's ( both bikes) to add to data list, but measuring them at idle or with the engine off isn't going to give a full temp reading. At least that's my experience with my Oxford's. Steady cruising holding some rpms, the grips get very noticably hotter vs just tooling around town.

Watts divided by volts= amperage. We gain a couple volts when the stator is at full chooch, which is a decent percentage when you're only rocking a 12v system to begin with.

Fwiw, Oxford says their grips pull 4amps max. We could compare wattage or amp draw specs from different brands, even then there can be a differential between grips with thermal conductivity of grip material, amount of material from heater elements to the surface of the grip, heat losses to the handlebar via differences in insulating properties of materials/construction...and who knows what else.

Regardless, would be interesting to see the results.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I can measure my Oxford's ( both bikes) to add to data list, but measuring them at idle or with the engine off isn't going to give a full temp reading. At least that's my experience with my Oxford's. Steady cruising holding some rpms, the grips get very noticably hotter vs just tooling around town.

Watts divided by volts= amperage. We gain a couple volts when the stator is at full chooch, which is a decent percentage when you're only rocking a 12v system to begin with.

Fwiw, Oxford says their grips pull 4amps max. We could compare wattage or amp draw specs from different brands, even then there can be a differential between grips with thermal conductivity of grip material, amount of material from heater elements to the surface of the grip, heat losses to the handlebar via differences in insulating properties of materials/construction...and who knows what else.

Regardless, would be interesting to see the results.
Yeah I measured mine cold then immediately after 15min of riding.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Good idea ^^^

Got the luggage rack done. Pushed the tail light back because I'm tired of my tail lights being invisible when the luggage goes on. Not invisible, but pretty discreet IMO. Satin powder coat came out too glossy. Not thrilled about that, but I'm not redoing it. I think the pics explain the mounting points well. It's pretty dang sturdy. Basically, it all sits on this bracket, but is triangulated to the light stinger to cure the cantilever issues at the rear. Which also gives me a place to push the tail light to.

White Light Auto part Gas Metal

Light Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire

The added top plate reinforces that underseat bracket from spreading open under load, and closes up the gap left behind by the tail light being gone. Dense foam crammed underneath to keep the shmoo out.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Gas

Automotive exterior Bumper Gas Automotive tire Bicycle part

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive fuel system Vehicle Fuel tank

Height looks fine with the taller Comfort Seat also, especially with the extension plate on.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Motor vehicle

That's it! I'm done! Got luggage, heated grips, charging port and my helmet lock. Hopefully just tires and oil from here on!

13241 - 13260 of 13294 Posts