Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
13041 - 13060 of 13103 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
A short list of items this morning:
Installed a fumoto oil drain valve, no more removing the skip plate for oil changes! View attachment 165181 View attachment 165182
Changed the oil.
Flushed and replaced all the bake fluid front and rear.

Anyone who has an air compressor that doesn't have one of these, is really missing out. So darn handy when your draining or bleeding fluids.
View attachment 165183
Huh! Today I learned the you newer bikes have a different oil pan!
The drain on our 2015 bikes are on the bottom. Never noticed. :)

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
2,680 Posts
I heard that Yamaha moved it after a few people drained their pans by accident on curbs and such.....not sure how true that is.
There were a couple videos posted some time ago of that happening. I believe they changed the pan on the ‘16+ models. If I’m not mistaken, it’s an easy and fairly inexpensive retrofit if you want to update your older FZ...

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
So I have done now several hundred miles on the Yamaha comfort seat and the Sargent seat.

I decided to put the Sargent seat back on yesterday after I did some maintenance... and boy oh boy, does it suck.
It's really cool looking, but definitely a hard flat surface that is a literal pain in the ass. I can't believe some of you guys like it. :LOL:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Fitted a Beowulf radiator guard, a Unit Garage luggage rack, a gauge protective film cover and a helmet lock

Last week fitted Barkbusters and 17oz HVMP bar ends and a perspex headlight protector

·
Registered
2021 MT-09 Storm Fluo
17 Posts
Do the side grips help? Where they easy to install? Is there any negative to the comfort seat being taller?
the side grips do help but I haven’t done any aggressive riding yet to see any limitations. but I noticed I wasn’t sliding to the front of the seat nearly as much. The comfort seat already helped with that since it’s a different material from stock and the pads do the rest. I’m 6’4” and the front of the pads catch the inside of my knees. If I were to move forward they’d be more to my thigh but it would throw off my entire positioning on the bike. The bike definitely needs them and I like the look of the OEM over the tech spec option.

Install is as easy as you want to make it. The tank has very subtle lines and it makes it pretty tricky to line up the way they were intended. Then once in place making sure both sides were symmetrical is something easy to get lost in the weeds trying to perfect. I just used painters tape to temporarily stick the pads and then to create an outline to stick to after I was happy with the positioning. Probably took an hour and a half to get everything exactly how I wanted it.

·
Registered
275 Posts
the side grips do help but I haven’t done any aggressive riding yet to see any limitations. but I noticed I wasn’t sliding to the front of the seat nearly as much. The comfort seat already helped with that since it’s a different material from stock and the pads do the rest. I’m 6’4” and the front of the pads catch the inside of my knees. If I were to move forward they’d be more to my thigh but it would throw off my entire positioning on the bike. The bike definitely needs them and I like the look of the OEM over the tech spec option.

Install is as easy as you want to make it. The tank has very subtle lines and it makes it pretty tricky to line up the way they were intended. Then once in place making sure both sides were symmetrical is something easy to get lost in the weeds trying to perfect. I just used painters tape to temporarily stick the pads and then to create an outline to stick to after I was happy with the positioning. Probably took an hour and a half to get everything exactly how I wanted it. View attachment 165629
Thank you!

·
Registered
14 Posts
@agf, Pictures of the rack? I've looked at the unit garage stuff a couple of times, interested to hear what you think of it?
The rack took a little more finessing to put on than I thought it might. There are fixing points on it that go under the seat lock bracket, they are the easy bit. getting the other holes aligned on the frame took slotting of the hole in the rack flange (pic 1). All in all about an hour of fanarckling. But I really like the finished product

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Swapped out my brake pads today for some EBC goodness.
Original pads have 8600mi on them.
Will bed them in over the weekend, then we have another track day on Monday. If these pads are anything like the ones on my ZRX, I’ll be thrilled.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Swapped out my brake pads today for some EBC goodness.
Original pads have 8600mi on them.
Will bed them in over the weekend, then we have another track day on Monday. If these pads are anything like the ones on my ZRX, I’ll be thrilled.
View attachment 165686
Oh yeah! These pads rock! Such an improvement over stock.
Barely bedded in and I'm already lifting the rear tire. So much more confidence so far. :)

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
2,680 Posts
Oh yeah! These pads rock! Such an improvement over stock.
Barely bedded in and I'm already lifting the rear tire. So much more confidence so far. :)
You’ll be making good use of them at VIR... 🙀

13041 - 13060 of 13103 Posts