Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

12701 - 12711 of 12711 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
New goodies from Stoltec showed up on Christmas Eve. Time to start tearing the bike apart. I already took the shock apart because I don't like the spring colour. Has anyone had springs powder coated? I've been reading a lot of conflicting information about it on the internet some saying the temps are hot enough to effect the annealing of the spring and others that say it's completely fine and some saying you need to use a lower temp powder coating...

·
Registered
555 Posts
If it's above 40 I'll be riding! If I get around to hand warmers one of these days I'll ride 12 months!

I’ve been rocking these alpine stars equinox outdry winter catchers mits this year. Boy they are warm. I recommend. Can’t wait to try the combo with heated grips.

·
Registered
555 Posts
New goodies from Stoltec showed up on Christmas Eve. Time to start tearing the bike apart. I already took the shock apart because I don't like the spring colour. Has anyone had springs powder coated? I've been reading a lot of conflicting information about it on the internet some saying the temps are hot enough to effect the annealing of the spring and others that say it's completely fine and some saying you need to use a lower temp powder coating...

I got the same shock, you’ll love it!
As for the tempering, or annealing, I’d wager a bet you’re fine if below 500°F. But consult with eibach or whoever stoltec uses for springs.

alternatively, you could coat the spring in an enamel dip or something to change color maybe.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I got the same shock, you’ll love it!
As for the tempering, or annealing, I’d wager a bet you’re fine if below 500°F. But consult with eibach or whoever stoltec uses for springs.

alternatively, you could coat the spring in an enamel dip or something to change color maybe.
Did some more research and found out the lowest annealing temperatures for most metals is 350C or 662F. Talked to my local powdercoating guy and he explained how their oven is under 400F which is about 200C. My local powdercoat shop is a bunch of serious car guys and they took the time to show me a few of the project cars they had in the shop with powdercoated coil springs. Dropped it off today so hopefully it's back soon but in the meantime I need to start tearing my front end apart and call some local shops to get quotes on the FPK.

·
Registered
2018 MT 09
531 Posts
Started my winter wrenching yesterday. No room at my place so I set up across town in my mom's garage. Mocked up my new handle bars, radial master, fluid reservoir, and levers. Cut the bars shorter, drilled and tapped the ends for my bar ends.

The Allen wrench to move the mirrors is in my tail bag that's at my house across town, that's why they're not angled right. I was going to drill the bars to fit the control tabs, but decided tomorrow that I'll just grind them off. I like that fact that it gives me more adjustability.

The mock up was just to make sure I had enough room for the controls and the throttle wasn't binding. I ended up cutting the throttle side grip off so I have a new set of pro grips in the mail. Then I have to connect the master cylinder, install new brake lines and pads.

Then list much longer and I'll share as things get checked off!

I have a pair of Amazon levers that I've now replaced. If anyone wanted to pay shipping they're yours! They're in the last picture.

12701 - 12711 of 12711 Posts