Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

12641 - 12660 of 12687 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
What an absolute game changer.
The woolich race tools, and auto blip quick shifter is on a whole other level. I need to get used to it, but I think I’ll grow to really like it.
1st to 2nd has the usual jolt in a QS, but everything north of that is butter smooth. The down shifts and auto blip is seamless. I kinda miss rev matching manually. One thing that sort of sucks, is you can’t even if you want to. Once you lean on the shift lever, ignition cuts. So your throttle input won’t work. So even if you just felt like riding it as if it didn’t have the auto blip, you can’t. I have my clutch switch bypassed, if I take that off the QS system won’t work. So I guess that’s a cheap work around if you want to.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Finally spent the 5 minutes it takes to adjust the damn clutch cable. :LOL:

My adjuster at the lever has always been nearly all the way backed out which was causing some slight clicking/popping sounds when engaging the clutch. I'm guessing the original setup was wrong.
The procedure is really simple, just back off tension at the lever, then crack loose the 12mm lock nut at the engine side, pull the cable out of the bracket, and turn the adjustment nut.
Much much better now!

·
Registered
485 Posts
did my first earl change on this bike Damn near ripped the oil filter coming off
Pretty sure this is the 3rd oil change on this bike, but will be keeping it at 3k mi now.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Installed lowering links on the rear suspension and lowered it lower about 3/4". The 2008 ZX10R rear shock that's been on there for years is longer than stock so it's now near stock ride height. My 29" inseam is happier.

Reactions: OldSchlPunk

·
Registered
25 Posts

Performed a valve check/adjustment; a little past due at 27.4 K miles, but oh well. As expected, all intake valve clearances were in spec and all exhaust clearances were way out of spec. Here are my measurements for those that are interested:
Cyl 1 .051 / .076 Cyl 2 .063 / .152 Cyl 3 .063 / .127 Exhaust spec is .26-.30 mm.
The local Yamaha dealer sold me six shims for $14. Not OEM, but not complaining.
Also sync'ed the throttle bodies, popped in new spark plugs, cleaned the air filter, and drained the coolant. (This was my first time checking/adjusting the valves, so I wanted room to work and removed the radiator.)
I took my time, referred to the maintenance manual, the forums, and youtube, and all went well. Sweet.

·
Registered
757 Posts
View attachment 161834

Performed a valve check/adjustment; a little past due at 27.4 K miles, but oh well. As expected, all intake valve clearances were in spec and all exhaust clearances were way out of spec. Here are my measurements for those that are interested:
Cyl 1 .051 / .076 Cyl 2 .063 / .152 Cyl 3 .063 / .127 Exhaust spec is .26-.30 mm.
The local Yamaha dealer sold me six shims for $14. Not OEM, but not complaining.
Also sync'ed the throttle bodies, popped in new spark plugs, cleaned the air filter, and drained the coolant. (This was my first time checking/adjusting the valves, so I wanted room to work and removed the radiator.)
I took my time, referred to the maintenance manual, the forums, and youtube, and all went well. Sweet.
What year bike ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Installed Rigid Industries Ignites. The harness came with cheap connectors so I cut them all off and bought OEM style sealed connectors from CycleTerminal.com. Cut off the ring terminals because I didn’t want to power straight from the battery and I added an MT-090 connector and plugged them into the aux under the scoops.

Attachments

·
Registered
564 Posts
Installed Rigid Industries Ignites. The harness came with cheap connectors so I cut them all off and bought OEM style sealed connectors from CycleTerminal.com. Cut off the ring terminals because I didn’t want to power straight from the battery and I added an MT-090 connector and plugged them into the aux under the scoops.
Are they marketed as waterproof?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
288 Posts
Can you show where/how you mounted them please? How is the light spread?

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Are they marketed as waterproof?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Not explicitly, but I’m putting my money on them being waterproof.
From the product description:
“The compact housing makes the Rigid Ignite a great choice for auxiliary lighting on cars and trucks, motorcycles, UTVs, and even marine applications.”

·
Registered
7 Posts
Can you show where/how you mounted them please? How is the light spread?

I mounted them to the top bolts on the fender, using rubber washers to protect the paint surface. Then, zip tied the cables to the brakes lines on each side, and wrapped all that in conduit.

I haven’t been to evaluate the effectiveness of the lights, as I’ve only done one night run since putting them on and there was too much light pollution.

BTW, Ignites are offered in Flood, Spot, and Diffused and come with a GoPro style mount.

Attachments

·
Registered
288 Posts
I mounted them to the top bolts on the fender, using rubber washers to protect the paint surface. Then, zip tied the cables to the brakes lines on each side, and wrapped all that in conduit.

I haven’t been to evaluate the effectiveness of the lights, as I’ve only done one night run since putting them on and there was too much light pollution.

BTW, Ignites are offered in Flood, Spot, and Diffused and come with a GoPro style mount.
Keep us posted on how the lights shine

12641 - 12660 of 12687 Posts