Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

11961 - 11980 of 11989 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Care to explain?

Yeah, I wonder what I'm missing.
I've ridden the bike quite a bit since the change and it doesn't feel any different.
The other day it was struggling a bit on top end but it was windy and I was wearing an "adventure suit" that was beating me to death.

·
Registered
300 Posts
There isnt any real benefit from switching to a 520 so why do it?
I went to a 520 when I needed a new chain and sprockets. Looks good and lose a small amount of weight. Yes I know the weight difference isn't noticeable, but it is still there. I just didn't see the "not smart" part. If it's a claim of the chain breaking, I'll probably question the maintenance and abuse of the chain.

So, why not?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
I really like that rear sprocket! Aren't you afraid that a 520 will stretch too much too fast? I converted my F4i to 520 and it didn't last near as long and without being a racer, there really wasn't a benefit. Well, I guess I won more local bench races! 🤣
I've used 520 chains on just about every street bike I've owned.
Can I tell the difference? Of course not but the 520 is what they use on 250hp MotoGP bikes so that's good enough for me. Big chains and automatic cam chain tensioners are for pussies:)!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Of course not but the 520 is what they use on 250hp MotoGP bikes so that's good enough for me
Are you saying that because 520 chains save critical weight on a MotoGP bike and the factory is paying for replacement chains after each race and there is no road crud on a GP circuit, that we should fit 520 chains to our road bikes?

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Are you saying that because 520 chains save critical weight on a MotoGP bike and the factory is paying for replacement chains after each race and there is no road crud on a GP circuit, that we should fit 520 chains to our road bikes?
Dude, have a drink and relax. I do a lot of things to my bike just because I want to and you should do the same. If you take everything posted on this forum to be serious you're in for some miserable moments.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I used a 520 conversion and 112 link chain on my last 09 and liked it, and will do it on my new 17 when i need a new set.
Last night I added MT09 specific barkbusters to my stock bars, old jet plastics, and drilled the aluminium frames to fit my CRG mirrors on rottweiler mounts. And now i have gotten rid of the stock mirrors, i can put the remote for my camera back on the bars.
Never used model specific barkbusters before- fit was perfect.

·
Registered
15 Posts
This was my stance on it. The 3 cylinder already puts down comparatively more torque than a 4 cylinder. Yamerha wants you to have a good time and I can only assume has gone with a beefier chain to keep every one happy for 10k miles possibly. I mean if you want to save weight you can get a non o-ring chain but it will only last you 1,000 miles untill its a hotdog down a hallway. I wrecked chains on my SV1000 from torque and I got all my tires for free but **** If I hated buying chains and sprockets all the time. This is only my opinion, I'm the type of guy that keeps most parts stock and adds hardware onto the platform to protect my investment. We used to paint our bikes every 2 weeks to "match our shoes".

·
Registered
24 Posts
Nope, not quite that simple. It involves a bit of work, but it's doable without buying expensive rearsets.
Let me tell you about Rear Sets. I have done about every mod on two FZ09’s 2015 & 2017. On the 2015 I made the calculated error of thinking I could install them myself. Don’t jump in yet. I’ll explain why! You have to remove the swing arm. WHICH is under pressure from the rear shock. So you have to have a shock compressor tool to re-install. Once that’s off comes the swing arm pin. A lot like the rear axel pin that holds the wheel on. As your removing the swing are pin about 2 dozen needle bearings start falling out and rolling everywhere! Needless too say. I BENT this pin and lost about three needle bearings because I’m a stooge! It cost me an additional $100 in stock parts and in the end the rear sets wouldn’t fit without more mods. I said screw it. And put the stock ones back on! Lesson. NEVER AGAIN.

·
Super Moderator
5,627 Posts
Let me tell you about Rear Sets. I have done about every mod on two FZ09’s 2015 & 2017. On the 2015 I made the calculated error of thinking I could install them myself. Don’t jump in yet. I’ll explain why! You have to remove the swing arm. WHICH is under pressure from the rear shock. So you have to have a shock compressor tool to re-install. Once that’s off comes the swing arm pin. A lot like the rear axel pin that holds the wheel on. As your removing the swing are pin about 2 dozen needle bearings start falling out and rolling everywhere! Needless too say. I BENT this pin and lost about three needle bearings because I’m a stooge! It cost me an additional $100 in stock parts and in the end the rear sets wouldn’t fit without more mods. I said screw it. And put the stock ones back on! Lesson. NEVER AGAIN.
I have no idea what you are trying to "tell me about rearsets". I thought I made it pretty clear that I did NOT buy rearsets for my FZ09, I simply modified the existing shifter/linkage so that the OEM parts (mostly OEM parts) would work and make it into a GP shift.

11961 - 11980 of 11989 Posts