Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

· Registered
2016 xsr 900
1,705 Posts
If you have never fitted this type of protector...You might want to try to install them.. frame protectors of this type often look like they won't fit, but ounce you start installing they do fit. Mine didn't look like they would fit.. but they did... This is common misconception wth this install.. thats a quality peice...i highly doubt that you got a bad one.. never heard of any misfits with this company's product.. give it a shot... they'll always look short.. but they are not..

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk
Thanks for the advice, those images are from me trying to install them, although I can see the confusion because you can not see the big picture, just the close up of the mis-alignment.

On the right side of the bike (2nd pic) I can start one bolt, or the other, but not both. Image was taken with the lower mount bolt started in 2-3 turns and attempting to line up the upper mount bolt. No amount of wiggling or (the little bit) of rotation was able to bring it into alignment. This one is likely close enough that I could slightly elongate one or both holes in the guards and get it to mount up ok.
On the left side of the bike (1st pic) the bungs on the crash bars are too narrow to even fit into the recess on the frame. Picture was taken with the lower mount bolt started 2-3 turns, no amount of wiggling allows for the upper crash bar bung to even slid into the recess on the frame, the bungs are simply to close together.

I do agree that it appears to be a quality part, perhaps their welding jig got 'tweaked' somehow as I also haven't heard of anyone else having this sort of problem. I'm confident that they'll take care of it. Just disappointing when you wait weeks for a part to arrive and then it doesn't fit.

· Registered
2016 xsr 900
1,705 Posts
I honestly wish the buttons were reversed - with the TCS & drive mode buttons up on the gauge and the 'display mode' button down on the handlebar. I find myself riding around and thinking 'I wish I could see the time, or temp, or fuel economy 'on the fly' way more than I think about switching traction control or drive mode 'on the fly'.

· Registered
2016 xsr 900
1,705 Posts
Yeah, the system is actually marketed as an ADV/Offroad setup. 80L of capacity and it uses roll-top dry bags so stuff will never get wet. Mostly I wanted something that was easy to put on and take off as needed, and something I could easily transfer to other bikes. I'm also looking for a good deal on a dirtbike or dirt-biased dual sport and this luggage is rugged enough to use for off-road adventures even if it doesn't have the cleanest look.

· Registered
2016 xsr 900
1,705 Posts
ive been in the market for a bag system for my mt09. how does this compare to the sw motech bran bags. do you think this will fit the mt09? i'm buying the tenere700 in the future so i want a bag that i can swap from bike to bike. it would be nice if you can provide more pictures on them. thanks
Yeah, I'll start a dedicated thread for the review. So far I've used it for about 500 miles, and <1 one full day.

· Registered
2016 xsr 900
1,705 Posts
I like the adjustable length design.
me too - I was wanting to try 'shorty' levers without committing. This way I can try them 'short' and extend them back to 'normal' if I don't like em. My single complaint is that the overall adjustment range isn't very big - they can be anywhere from a 3 finger lever to the normal stock length, probably about 3/4" in total adjustment. I wish that they allowed an even shorter 2 finger length at the minimum setting. Part of my reason for switching is that on the clutch side when using 2 fingers my other fat fingers get in the way of a full-pull, these levers don't really solve that problem because 1 finger is still in the way.

· Registered
2016 xsr 900
1,705 Posts
Tried my hand at making the 2 Bros exhaust just a touch quieter. This is the P1X with a short section of brass drain pipe fitted over it, and then squished with some pliers.
Auto part

Tire Automotive tire Auto part Automotive wheel system Wheel

Plastic

Material property Plastic Waste Scrap

I absolutely love the rumble with the baffle removed, but I also leave for work early in the morning and don't want to be "that guy" that wakes the whole neighborhood. This seems sufficiently quiet, although I think I'm going to experiment with different lengths and diameters a bit.

· Registered
2016 xsr 900
1,705 Posts
You are simply their alarm clock!
Yeah - the last house I lived in there was a guy about 4 houses over that would get up at like 3am, start his bike, and leave it idle in his driveway for like 30 minutes. I think he had straight pipes - it would constantly wake up our baby every single morning - changed my perspective. If I lived in a rural area like I grew up where the nearest neighbor was 1/4 mile away and they only had to deal with my loud ass motorcycle for 1 second while I drove by their house then I'd leave it open for sure. Where I am at now the neighbors house is only 30ft away from mine and I have to ride past 200 houses on my way to work. No reason to start a fight.
The rumble on this system without the baffle is fantastic, just wish I could get the same bass note at about 1/2 the DB level.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts