Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 11908 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,612 Posts
Yesterday, my parts arrived that I ordered to convert my FZ over to the GP shift pattern... 1 up and 5 down. This shift pattern will now match my track bike shift pattern so that there won't be any...aw shit moments getting mixed up with two different shift patterns.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yesterday, my parts arrived that I ordered to convert my FZ over to the GP shift pattern... 1 up and 5 down. This shift pattern will now match my track bike shift pattern so that there won't be any...aw shit moments getting mixed up with two different shift patterns.

You can't just flip the shift linkage?

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got my bike and gear ready to leave Thursday morning on a 4 to 5 day trip around CA!
Lucky you! Ride safe and keep the rubber down... at least on the rear wheel :D Take some pictures too...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
96 Posts
Nope, not quite that simple. It involves a bit of work, but it's doable without buying expensive rearsets.
Every bike I've owned I've just been able to flip it. SV650/Ninja 250/ Hyo 650. The shift pushrod is definitely mounted different with it going almost vertical but I would have thought it would still be almost the same.
Did you just need to buy a different length rod or something?

I would assume you would just have to flip this piece.

·
Super Moderator
5,612 Posts
Every bike I've owned I've just been able to flip it. SV650/Ninja 250/ Hyo 650. The shift pushrod is definitely mounted different with it going almost vertical but I would have thought it would still be almost the same.
Did you just need to buy a different length rod or something?

I would assume you would just have to flip this piece.

When you try to just flip it, the shift linkage will not clear the round hole area of the footpeg where the swingarm bolt goes through to the other side. I am in the process of doing a write up on how to do it, complete with a parts list. I'll post it up in the "Build"section when I'm done.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I actually got to see one today in person. Big 1 motorsports in Birmingham Alabama had a graphite one on the floor. I'll say the blurple wheels are actually ok with me now. I may even like them.

1 - 20 of 11908 Posts
About this Discussion
11.9K Replies
1.2K Participants
GreatHolio
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
We’re the largest Yamaha forum for owners and enthusiasts of the FZ-09 and MT-09. The site has thousands of topics covering performance and reliability, photos, videos and more!
Full Forum Listing