Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

441 - 460 of 500 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Darn Niner, that exhaust set up looks killer!! Your soft bag set up is nice as well, whose system is that? Exactly what I want to do with my XSR, just enough storage for a couple night trip and no heavy/bulky metal cases...

·
Vendor
2,182 Posts
Darn Niner, that exhaust set up looks killer!! Your soft bag set up is nice as well, whose system is that? Exactly what I want to do with my XSR, just enough storage for a couple night trip and no heavy/bulky metal cases...
Thanks, HotLap! It is the Yamaha brand (Produced by SW Motech) saddlebag set up off of my FZ-09.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Nice, thanks for confirming Niner, was just looking at the Blaze set up yesterday...of course they say it won’t fit, but that’s likely only the turn signal clearance...

·
Registered
83 Posts
It’s down to the Hepco (sp?)with the “C-Bow” mounts and soft luggage, or the Blaze set up you have. Hepco fits with turn signals, but the C-Bow mount is ugly and looks to be a bit of work to remove when not using luggage. Blaze looks to be easily removable when not using bags, but dealing with turn signal clearance sounds like a pain as well!

·
Vendor
2,182 Posts
It’s down to the Hepco (sp?)with the “C-Bow” mounts and soft luggage, or the Blaze set up you have. Hepco fits with turn signals, but the C-Bow mount is ugly and looks to be a bit of work to remove when not using luggage. Blaze looks to be easily removable when not using bags, but dealing with turn signal clearance sounds like a pain as well!
For me it was an easy decision. I was going to eliminate those ugly pumpkin indicators regardless.
The Blaze bags are so easy to remove and the brackets that hold them on pop off as well. It takes me a minute to take everything off or put everything on.

Is the above gif working? I had to click on it to get it going...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yea, I've lost the OEM pumpkins as well. My TST Fender eliminator set up results in the LED signals mounting in the OEM signal locations, so I might have to get a bracket to mount them off the license plate - shouldn't be a big deal, thanks!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Bought my XSR a few weeks ago and got a lot done within the first week. The previous owner was waiting for his clear title to come in so I had time to order parts before picking it up.

-Passenger pegs delete
-Fender eliminator with integrated tail lights
-Smaller front fender and removed reflectors
-Clip ons
-Gauge relocation
-Bar end mirrors
-Removed “Yamaha” from tank
-7” LED headlight with integrated signals
-Plastidipped center tank cover black
-Vinyl wrapped rear side covers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
The "carbon" wrap looks great! You could have done the fender and tank center strip the same way and it would look awesome. Self-done, or did you have it done?

·
Registered
17 Posts
The "carbon" wrap looks great! You could have done the fender and tank center strip the same way and it would look awesome. Self-done, or did you have it done?
Thank you. I did do this myself and I thought about the tank center and fender. The fender probably would’ve been simple, but I wasn’t sure how to do the recessed holes (for the mounting bolts) for the center cover. I’d either have to cut them out and the silver finish would show or try to wrap inside them which I was not confident enough to do. Plus, I do prefer the black and was just using the wrap to cover stand out pieces. Although, I’ll probably peel off the plastidip on the center cover next season and do a permanent satin black because I can kinda see where my clothing is rubbing on the tank by the crotch. I’m sure it’ll wear or peel over time despite me doing like 5 or 6 coats.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I don't know too much about wrapping, but for the recessed holes, I wonder if it would work to apply the material completely over the hole, use a heat gun to soften it, then use something like a socket to push the material into the recess. After it cools you could cut the screw hole with a razor. Is the vinyl stretchy enough when it's warm to do that?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don't know too much about wrapping, but for the recessed holes, I wonder if it would work to apply the material completely over the hole, use a heat gun to soften it, then use something like a socket to push the material into the recess. After it cools you could cut the screw hole with a razor. Is the vinyl stretchy enough when it's warm to do that?
It gets pretty stretchy with the heat gun. When you have enough material to grab and pull, it makes it easier to stretch around corners. Small holes are difficult for me though because there isn’t much to grab and stretch. Just pushing into the hole gets the material in, but you’ve gotta smooth out wrinkles and try not to scratch or tear it. Plus my hands start to hurt from the heat lol. I’m no professional. Larger parts are easier. My methods are probably not the best. Here what the backs of those parts looks like.

What front fender is this?

Build looks great by the way.
Thank you. The brand is Sw-Motech. Couldn’t find any US sellers, but found it on eBay from a German seller. The listing says “or best offer”. I got it down to $115, maybe you can get them to budge a little more. This is silver, there’s a separate listing for black.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Anton, looks great! I too have done a bunch of mods since taking delivery of my 2019 earlier this month. Going to post pics once I have the lion's share of mods finished. I was going to go with the CF theme, but decided instead to play off the current look with the bright bits and the red tank stripe. Sure like the look of the clip on's - those the Wood Craft units? Kind of undecided though as I really enjoy the stock riding position and am not sure how the lower bars would feel...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Sojon, your new flyscreen, is it mounted pretty solid? I ask as I have the Puig Retro Vision screen and am going to beef up the mounting points as just the two lower points would likely result in lots of vibration/movement at speed.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Well, I bought it in June, then immediately started the mods, which include a radiator guard, Motodemic 7” headlight, translogic QS, r&g tail tidy, akrapovic cf system, woodcraft rip off clipons, graves instrument lowering bracket, frame/engine case protection, paddock stand spools, seat hump, bar end mirrors. I think that’s it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sojon, your new flyscreen, is it mounted pretty solid? I ask as I have the Puig Retro Vision screen and am going to beef up the mounting points as just the two lower points would likely result in lots of vibration/movement at speed.
1 5x5" bracket holds it on (from lowes with original hardware attaching it to the bike). It vibrated quite a bit until i put a piece of foam on the bottom underneath. The foam is attached to the screen and is compressed against the light fixture. It doesnt vibrate now.

·
Registered
83 Posts
1 5x5" bracket holds it on (from lowes with original hardware attaching it to the bike). It vibrated quite a bit until i put a piece of foam on the bottom underneath. The foam is attached to the screen and is compressed against the light fixture. It doesnt vibrate now.

Nice great idea, I may end up doing the same thing!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sure like the look of the clip on's - those the Wood Craft units? Kind of undecided though as I really enjoy the stock riding position and am not sure how the lower bars would feel...
They are the woodcraft clip ons. 1” down position. I never had the stock bars on to compare them to. When I bought mine, it had clubman bars. I rode over an hour home and immediately wanted them off. I really do like the clip ons. They are a modestly slight lean forward in my opinion. I thought they’d be more aggressive but I’m happy that they aren’t. I sat the club mans on top after in installed the clip ons. You can see the vast difference.

·
Registered
83 Posts
They are the woodcraft clip ons. 1” down position. I never had the stock bars on to compare them to. When I bought mine, it had clubman bars. I rode over an hour home and immediately wanted them off. I really do like the clip ons. They are a modestly slight lean forward in my opinion. I thought they’d be more aggressive but I’m happy that they aren’t. I sat the club mans on top after in installed the clip ons. You can see the vast difference.

WOW, huge difference, thanks for going to the trouble of posting that pic. My back is screaming at the thought of those Clubman bars...not in my 20's anymore ;)

PS I do like the fact that the Woodman clip on's have the two position adjustability...

441 - 460 of 500 Posts