Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at buying a go pro for recording some of my riding and taking pictures while I ride. Do I really need the FPS of the black edition or will white or silver work good enough?

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
"Good enough" is very subjective. I'm new to action cams too, I might get the top GoPro later in the summer. What is the main way you will use/share your videos? Not sure but I think you can't post the highest resolutions on YouTube. Or if you can the file size will be larger if upload bandwidth is an issue for you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just want something that will be good quality so I can post them to social media and Youtube. I just moved to Phoenix AZ from Wisconsin and I want to show the scenery from my rides to my friends and family.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you have the remote or do you use a smart phone to control it? I have a bar mount for my phone and I'm curious as to how well the phone controls work.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have both the white and black gopro. The black one has a higher pixel count than the white one. Both shoot great hd video. If cost is a concern, go with the white one. I also have the go pro app on my phone and tablet. The app works great for setting up the shot and reviewing your videos. The wifi EATS the battery life. Make sure you turn it off after you set up your shot. So if you have a smart phone you can swap out the sd card with and watch it on there I would recommend doing that. The remote is nice but uses the wifi to operate the camera, battery life again. I just push the button when I start and stop. Total record time for the battery is about 1.5 hours straight. Not recording the camera will last most of the day.

The other part is that Gopro has editing software you can download for free.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I use a Contour Roam2, and fortunately they are back in business after being bought from bankruptcy court. I never could make myself buy a box camera after owning lipstick cameras. GoPro has a big venture capitol company behind them throwing money at advertising in hopes to crush the competition. So far it is working, but I am not one to follow the Pied Piper off the pier. They are butt ugly, remind me of my Kodak Brownie camera as a kid.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The Hero 4 comes out this June. You could wait and the price should drop on the Hero 3+ and you could get the black edition for a good price. That would be plenty hi-tech for amateur videos.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I use a Contour Roam2, and fortunately they are back in business after being bought from bankruptcy court. I never could make myself buy a box camera after owning lipstick cameras. GoPro has a big venture capitol company behind them throwing money at advertising in hopes to crush the competition. So far it is working, but I am not one to follow the Pied Piper off the pier. They are butt ugly, remind me of my Kodak Brownie camera as a kid.
How long have you had your contour? I've heard of them before but never really looked into them.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I was in best buy the other day. There are quite a few competitors our now , Sony makes a decent one and good size (more compact than the go pro) and price.

My wife bought me a hero 3 black for Xmas and I returned (yes I'm probably a dick for doing that but I couldn't justify spending 400 bones on something I'm not sure I'd use often). Any video I take I don't end up watching much of lol

Sent from my hot secretary, dictated but not read

·
Registered
730 Posts
I have a JVC Addiction and am very happy with it. Go pro doesn't work for on a dirt bike... Its got to be mounted out of harms (mesquite branches) way!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Actually I have a Hero2 and a Hero3. Use them constantly. I tossed them on my nieces and nephews for the easter egg hunt every year. Always awesome to see a kids prospective. Use them on the bike, boat, dogs, kids, snow, Jeep, fishing, hunting, etc. Heck I even roped one down my chimney to check how clean it was and how the liner looked last summer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts