Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was not going to do it, in fact I was settled that I was going to leave it stock until next year but the itch is getting to me. So what first, exhaust or suspension? First, I know I should do the suspension but I really think the stock exhaust is ugly and does not sound that great. But I really don't need it as bad as I need suspension done, or do I?

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Exhaust will be mostly for asthetics and sound. Suspenion will be only for improved riding capabilities and comfort.
Exhaust will keep you Happy :)

Suspension will hopefully keep you alive:cool:

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
what everyone else has said.
Suspension makes a massive performance difference, a new exhaust just makes more noise - hard to notice any extra performance without a dyno readout.
That said, a new exhaust sounds awesome and makes you smile every time you hit the start button.
But if the "pogo" created by the piss poor suspension set-up throws you off the bike while braking the money spent on the exhaust will have been wasted. Don't waste your hard earned money.:(

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
if the pogo created by the suspension throws you off that much, you shouldnt be twisting the throttles as far, just go slower to start with, steve o.

buying something for a bike just 'casue its makes you smile is never a mistake.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
if the pogo created by the suspension throws you off that much, you shouldnt be twisting the throttles as far, just go slower to start with, steve o.

buying something for a bike just 'casue its makes you smile is never a mistake.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Well there you have it. Buy both!

Reactions: MoFZio

·
Registered
13 Posts
Get the exhaust. Nothing will make you smile more than a great sounding triple ?
Adjust your suspension to suit you & that will be OK for quite while. I weigh 105 kg before gear still running stock suspension, & we have some crap roads here . unless your going hyper speeds its OK.

PS I 'm not talking track type riding, just fun days with mates.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
In my opinion, properly set up suspension should always be the first mod done to any bike, if you plan to enjoy it to the fullest. On some bikes you may be able to adjust the factory suspension properly and get what works for you.....other bikes, not so much. The FZ09 has very cheaply built suspension components on it and that is one of the reasons that the bike comes in at the price point that it is at. Of course, everyone has something in mind for the bike that they purchase.....commuting, long distance trips/riding, canyons and twisties, whatever; so you must decide what you are going to use the bike for and if it is possible to set it up properly for the intended purpose. For many of us on here, the FZ09's suspension was horribly inadequate for the type/style of riding that we intended to use the bike for. So, if the suspension of the stock bike can be made to work for YOU, then go with an exhaust first.....you'll love the sound of that triple being uncorked. But, remember this, if the suspension is lacking for you, then every single time you get on the bike and try to enjoy it for the type of riding that you do, you will be disappointed and eventually grow to dislike the bike.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Stock exhaust (and intake) isn't that plugged up where you can't hear the great note this triple puts out. Get the suspension sorted, especially if you're over 200 pounds, make it safer/easier to ride fast so when you do get an exhaust and are riding it harder, you don't turn in to a Blazing Orange Tumbleweed. And get the factory flash redone at the dealership for free if it has not been done.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
+1 on the suspension.

Regarding the exhaust. Something that is seldom mentioned is fuel consumption.The bike is already a bit short on range.

To properly do a pipe you will want to richen up the fuel air ratio. Reflash or power commander will be needed.

I have a Vcyclenut flash with the stock pipe and love it. You really feel the extra power and you cannot attribute it to an increase in noise, which often is the case.

I went from 45mpg average down to around 39 or 40. Stock I could make 160 miles before flashing fuel gauge. After the flash I can make around 135 miles before the flash. That may not sound like much but it is huge if you run out 20 miles short of the next station.

Saw one post where the guy installed an Akra carbon and did the Vcyclenut flash, which is specifically designed for the Akra carbon. He said he could barely make the 100 mile mark.

Don't know about you but where I often ride I need the extra 30 or so miles to make my trip work.

Another bonus with the stock pipe is the lack of PoPo effect. Stocker rarely turns the man's head.:cool:

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
^^^ Where I ride there's always a gas station within a 1/2 mile...oftentimes less:(

·
Registered
343 Posts
I put Angel gt 190/55 on the rear and it was a better ride for me. Suspension is expensive compared to a softer feeling tire.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Call me the Devil's Adonate but, is your 09 even broken in yet?

I ask because we see a lot of low milage 09's come up for sale with all kinds of modes done to them. It's actually kind of sad really, but if these guys would have put in more saddle time before going nuts on the modes, would they have kept the 09's? I am curious to know why they are really selling them? Is it because they out moded their wallets and are now forced to sell because of money problems?

I am just saying please break-in your bikes properly, get in some good saddle time, then mode it as you feel it needs it. Don't break the bank then become forced to sell it.

Just my two cents, before any new 09 owner needs an intervention, lol.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts