Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Helmet Lock threads offer little or no constructive info. What do you do with your Helmet when you get to school, work, restaurant, etc...????

I'd like to secure the helmet to the FZ but haven't found an acceptable option. :cool:

Maybe I'll stop wearing the helmet............j/k

Reactions: Lee Drew

·
Registered
200 Posts
Steve, check my post in the helmet lock thread. I ordered a yamaha one from Japan that bolts up behind the passenger peg. Little modification to get it to work as the angle of the 09's tail is different, but it can re keyed very easily to the ignition key.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy 5 S using Tapatalk

·
Registered
165 Posts
Either take it with me or put it on the chain I use to lock the bike up.

I never trust a helmet lock on a bike as the helmet is too easy to steal, leaving you stranded and out of pocket.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I used to leave it on the bike with the helmet lock, mainly, because I didn't want anyone at work to know I rode - lots of haters there (1970's). Now days I am within a hair of fulltime retirement and I don't give a shit what they think. I just take it to my desk. BTW, I once left it without fastening the lock (lazy). I thought it would be safe since it was all scratched up from riding enduros and even had mud on it. It was so worn, the padding was breaking thru. Needless to say, it disappeared. I felt absolutely naked riding home w/o a skid lid.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I take mine wherever I go if the bike is not within sight. If I'm just taking a break I hang it on the right side foot peg. If I'm going inside to eat lunch or dinner I take it inside with me. For me losing an $800 helmet to some loser that has nothing in life better to do then steal peoples stuff would make me want to do very bad things if I caught that person. But prevention is always best!

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Take mine with most of the time. If I'm just going somewhere for a quick errand (home depot, groceries, etc.) I'll hang it on a hook under the seat so that it takes at least some effort to steal it.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
I may take it with me if I'm in a shady area, otherwise I leave it on the bike .

·
Registered
112 Posts
I hang mine on the bar and leave a note on the helmet that states:

"If you take this helmet I will hunt you down, I will find you, and when I do, I will Kill you."

Been pretty effective so far.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Get a big U shaped lock and lock the chin piece to a wheel.

It takes care of the helmet and secures your bike a little more too.

I like my under seat lock and have a cable to put through the chin piece of my helmet or up the sleeve of my jacket if I want to leave it with the bike too.

Reactions: Steve101

·
Registered
103 Posts
I was at Sports authority yesterday and almost purchased a lock that had a thin steel cable and a small combination lock. I would put this through the helmet when I hang it on the left passenger foot peg as I do for quick errands. But I decided against it. I imagined someone trying to pull this thing to break it and it ending with my bike on it's side. I usually do not leave my bike out of sight for more than a few minutes if possible anyway, but if I have to I'll take my helmet with me.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I picked up a coated cable for locking up bikes from REI and a masterlock, hang the helmet off the passenger peg and run the cable through.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Fold out the passenger peg and carefully hang my helmet on it, securing the D ring to the loop behind the peg with a carabiner combination lock. If you do this, fold the fabric that covers the D ring back or it can pick up grease from the pivot.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
51 Posts
I use a cable gun trigger lock when it is not convenient to take with me. Stores easily under the seat. I have a time or two threaded it through my jacket sleeve and locked it to the bike as well.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts