Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread was started to avoid highjacking someone else's thread. Do you believe loud exhausts saves lives ? or what is your take on it ?

As for me i can understand the theory behind it BUT when a cager hits a motorcyclist the first thing they say is "I NEVER SAW HIM" you never heard them say " I NEVER HEARD THEM" which leaves me to believe they were never paying attention to begin with. Yes i have had loud exhausts and now i am over it. The stock exhaust will be fine. No i don't care for that sack under the bike but to change it would be more of a want than a need. :confused::confused:

·
Registered
56 Posts
I like the sound of loud pipes on some bikes when I am riding and rapping through the gears on the highway. I hate loud pipes when I am sitting in my car in traffic and a loud bike pulls up beside me. I had a loud Ducati with full termi's and did something about it. If I planned on riding around in the city I would quite it down, if I new I would be on the hwy all day I opened up the exhaust.

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
Here's a thought for ya, "If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride that thing will do".

I have a friend that owns PJs parts (look it up on a Google search) and he sells a T-shirt that you can buy that says that on it.

http://www.pjsparts.com/catalog/images/TS001O-1-sm.jpg

·
Registered
96 Posts
Loud pipes won't really save lives. A good exhaust note will sound good and an aftermarket exhaust will shave weight from your bike. I don't like overly loud exhausts and will always have an exhaust with a baffle in it for street riding.

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
The number one killer of motorcyclists is the oncoming car turning left in font of a bike. The sonic waves of a pipe pointing behind or to the side of a forward moving motorcycle do not travel in front of a bike. Another big problem is that people freeze when they are startled, so loud pipes cost lives. Also, unless you are constantly revving your engine while sitting at a red light, the chance of awakening a distracted driver approaching from behind, are slim to none.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
I agree with pretty much everyone else so far. I prefer something a bit louder than stock, but "loud" exhausts are just obnoxious in my opinion. Loud pipes get more attention, but I'm not convinced that's a good thing. As to whether they save lives, I think the idea has some merit, as a driver might hear you in their blind spot. But you're a fool to rely on it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I understand the appeal of loud pipes. I've had some pretty obnoxious systems on my rides. I used to get a kick from setting off car alarms at 4 a.m.

I was a douche.

Now I live in a house close to the street and I'm listening to Harleys go by as I type this. My wife who works graveyards at a hospital is trying to sleep in the front bedroom. I've put some thought into this and basically the whole point of loud pipes is to get attention and annoy other people.

Look at me! Look at me! Rumble, rumble, rumble. Look at me!

The whole "Loud pipes save lives" thing is just douchebags rationalizing their douchebaggery. I say this as a recovering douchebag.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Only 11 more steps to go.

No, wait. I already tossed out all my TAPOUT an AFFLICTION t-shirts.

10, yeah, 10 steps to go.

W

·
0 Posts
Here's a thought for ya, "If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride that thing will do".

I have a friend that owns PJs parts (look it up on a Google search) and he sells a T-shirt that you can buy that says that on it.

http://www.pjsparts.com/catalog/images/TS001O-1-sm.jpg
That's about it. Occasionally there may be a situation where the noise calls the motorcycle to the attention of an errant motorist and prevents an accident, but not often. After having a whole bunch of noisy damn bikes (including an ear-splitting Harley) I am done. All my bikes have stock exhausts, they run perfectly, and I ride defensively. The neighbors like it, too.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I do believe loud pipes do save lives. I understand there are some obnoxios pipes and those guys are douchbags. But from my experiance on my harley with vance and hines pipes no where near abnoxios i deffinatley get cars to notice me alot sooner than on my 09 with stock exhaust. I believe its getting noticed as soon as possible will aid in rubber side down. I also believe if I am in someones blind spot and they cannot hear me I am in much more danger for that short amount of time than if they could at least hear someone there.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I don't really believe that they save lives. My exhaust is pretty loud on the FZ1, and people still fail to see me all the time. I personally don't like the obnoxiously loud exhausts, but I like a good sounding exhaust without it being overly loud. I just like to be able to hear it when I am running through the gears, makes up and down shifting much easier when you can hear engine speed.

·
Registered
601 Posts
You hear a lot of things when driving. But nothing you hear really matters unless you can also see.

I try to keep in mind the statistic--mentioned by DNFDOUG--that most accidents are cars turning left in front of a bike. So I slow and use hyper vigilance in intersections and sometimes will weave a little to make myself more visible.

Why do I perform a slight weave?

There's a phenomenon in nature called motion camouflage that explains how dragonflies make themselves invisible to prey by calculating a flight path that makes them seem stationary.

This concept might explain why drivers always say they didn't see the motorcycle.

The motorcycle is small and traveling in straight path. And if the angle is just right, the driver's eye does not detect an object (bike) in motion and therefore something to be avoided. It's invisible!

I figure if I weave the bike for just a moment, my image is more likely to be caught on the driver's retina. So he won't turn in front of me.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Loud pipes won't save lives, what will is learning to be a good rider and the best equiptment . Watching the harley guys with there loud pipes and $10 tupperwear helmets with tank tops and cut offs is a joke for sure. Just like the bikes parked in front of bars:cool:

·
Registered
30 Posts
All the "bros" in Cincinnati seem to prefer loud pipes with their pipeless bike. They're the type that sit at the local gas station with their massive chicken strips, shout at all the campus girls and drive around in circles bouncing their engines off the rev limiter. They are soooo cool. They once asked me to ride with them but I declined because I didn't think I was worthy enough. Maybe one day...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts