Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure where to find this out so I thought I'd put it here. I have the extended warranty on the fz09, yet I want to do some modifications (FE, G2 throttle tamer, etc.). What can I do without jeopardizing the warranty?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Shorty Levers (good quality), Fly-screen/Wind-screen, LED Indicator Lights (remove those 4 Pumpkins), Frame Sliders are a must IMO, Add LED Lighting for add'l Lights, Upgrade Seat, etc.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
None of those (or mine) will void the extended warranty? I'm thinking it only covers the powertrain, but I don't want to be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
555 Posts
Leave engine and ECU alone if you are worried about warranty.

Go sick with everything else.

That being said, I have never known any refusal of warranty unless the modification in question directly caused an issue. Even my service manager at Yamaha told me that they cannot void my warranty if I decide to use a different exhaust other than the "approved Yamaha Akrapovic system".

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Many here have re-flashed their ECU. And after you've had your FZ for almost six months, the warranty is only six months away from expiring......my, how time flys, just like my FZ:cool:

Reactions: MoFZio

·
Registered
429 Posts
warranty will not be voided unless the modified part is the direct cause of the issue you are having. So if you put an exhaust on and your gauge pod stops working, it will be covered as the two are unrelated. If you put an aftermarket tail light on, and you have a CCT issue, the two are not related and you are covered. If you splice in a USB port and something goes awry and you melt the wiring harness, you are not covered. Get it?

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Exactly. No single mod voids the "warranty". Modding the exhaust won't void the entire warranty. Now if you mod the exhaust, run it lean, and burn your valves, that repair won't be covered under warranty... But your rear wheel bearing going out would still be. The is no such thing as voiding the entire warranty...

·
Registered
187 Posts
so get the mods that matter aka flash, exhaust, and suspension

·
Registered
400 Posts
Is there a way the dealer could know there was a flash on the ECU?

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Yes, sir...dealer can see the default mode set to "A" (if that was part of the flash). Thought about this yesterday as I was bringing my bike in for PR4's.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yes, sir...dealer can see the default mode set to "A" (if that was part of the flash). Thought about this yesterday as I was bringing my bike in for PR4's.
That is exactly why I had Nick leave mine on STD when he flashed mine...........

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
B mode here too as default. I have one of those Nick's special custom tune with decel map... lol Perfect for the track! I do the rest of the fuelling with the EJK.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts