Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

Premium Member
Just to be clear, you are saying they work great??? ( to me looks are secondary 馃榿 馃槑 :ROFLMAO: ).
Think about it.
1) The adjusters are captive so they stay in place after the axle is out.
2) You can move the axle back and forth with the turn of a wrench. No more kicking the wheel forward and starting over.

Reactions: GreatHolio

Premium Member
Did you powder coat/anodize your hub? Is it common practice to get rid of the circular "bracket" when you replace the sprocket?
I had the wheels powder coated but I painted the hub, brake stay and rotors.
(Yes, the front rotors were quite tedious to tape off)
I'm pretty sure the circular thing is some sort of safety gadget in case the chain explodes and I have no idea what other guys do with theirs.
New Red Wheels----Feb 2016 002.JPG
New Red Wheels----Feb 2016 003.JPG

Registered
The circular thing is to keep the chain from getting down in the swingarm and chewing things up or locking the rear wheel should your chain come off the sprocket. Your chain should NEVER come off the sprocket unless you are removing the rear wheel.

Registered
You hit it again, right on the nail. But now I'm questioning my choice since you mention pricing vs weight savings. If you have more input on this, or anyone else for that matter, would be greatly appreciated. Shaving weight off is always good, no matter what the bike is used for, but money is a consideration. I'm not looking for that extra tenth of a second on the track. Just a good daily rider.
The SuperSprox sprocket is $102.95 whereas the Sprocket Center Superlite is $59.95 (on sale now @ $52). Sprocket Center claims their Superlite is lighter than the SuperSprox.

I will admit, the SuperSprox looks cool but I'm not sure it's $50 cooler at this point in my life.

Registered
They are not real Lightechs
Hmm... I'm a sucker for paying for brand names... But LightTech is telling me their adjuster does not fit the MT-09, but it does fit the Tracer??? WTF? What is different on the Tracer rear fork vs MT-09?

Registered
The difference is probably the fact that the MT09 using the rear plat holder bolted on my the axle. The axle itself is wider and and unless you are using chain adjusters or blocks that make up for that width, it won鈥檛 work. You have to also switch to the shorter length axle

Registered
That's exactly it. ( I believe )... The rear mud guard/lic plate holder. FUUUUUuuuuuuuuuuuuuu...

Premium Member
Hmm... I'm a sucker for paying for brand names... But LightTech is telling me their adjuster does not fit the MT-09, but it does fit the Tracer??? WTF? What is different on the Tracer rear fork vs MT-09?
Not long ago Niner was selling a set of real LighTechs.

Registered
Think about it.
1) The adjusters are captive so they stay in place after the axle is out.
2) You can move the axle back and forth with the turn of a wrench. No more kicking the wheel forward and starting over.
It seems he likes them.

Reactions: abe57 and shamrock

Premium Member
Hey Shamrock, how are the chinese knock-offs working? I bought a set a while ago and read different things about them, so I was kind of leery about installing them.
They work just fine and have for the past five years.
All they do is move a loosened axle. They don't hold or support anything, they are not structural. They are machined from billet aluminum so they can't crush or burst into flames.
We have three choices. The stock axle blocks, high quality but expensive LighTechs or Chinese knock offs.
Selecting a brand of Tuna fish is more complicated!

Registered
2018 MT 09
Hey shamrock, what is that nut on the underside of the the adjusters for. The one below the one used to adjust the chain slack. They're like $50 on eBay and was thinking about pulling the trigger!

Registered
Discussion Starter #34
Hey shamrock, what is that nut on the underside of the the adjusters for. The one below the one used to adjust the chain slack. They're like $50 on eBay and was thinking about pulling the trigger!
It looks like a lock but to keep the adjusting nut from moving

21 - 40 of 48 Posts