Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to order new sprockets and a chain. Keeping factory gearing. What brand sprockets have you had the best luck with? Rubber damper on front or no? Staying with 525 chain...I ride through sand everyday, so looking for something that holds up better than factory for the chain. I clean and lube the chain once a week or more when it rains. Bike is used to commute about 1k/month.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Gonna keep an eye on this thread since my baby is down right now, needing new chain.

Since this is my first bike, I have no clue who/what/where... The when is now and the why is... well it's abused. haha

Reactions: Keyser

·
Registered
26 Posts
Coming from a motocross and off-road background, I have bought a ton of chain and many different brands. I am a firm believer in Regina chain now. The 525 ZRP is a great chain for this bike. It will last and last and last. Stick with steel sprockets and you will have a bullet proof drive train.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have been using Sprocket Center for many years. Their "Superlite" sprockets are bullet proof.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I have about 18K miles on my bonnie with an EK chain and an EK screw type master link.
The screw link works nicely; you just have to be careful not to overtighten the nuts by measuring the gap as the side plate is pressed on and stop when it is the same gap as the link next to it. Cheaper than buying a chain riveting tool.

Riding in sand will be an issue and you may want to get an automatic chain luber and set the flow rate on as high as you can stand. Best to "wash" the sand off than grind it into the X-rings with a cleaning brush IMO

·
Registered
688 Posts
I will agree that the SuperSprox and Sprocket Center Superlite are both great sprockets. Needing sprockets and chain in the spring, I will likely go with a rubber damped on the front.

Chains are wide open, it's like asking which kind of oil is best. I personally don't have a favorite and will likely buy what I can get a deal on.

·
Registered
276 Posts
rubber damped on the front.
First time replacing sproks/chain:

1. Why are you going with a rubber damped on front?

2. Is the factory sproket on the front, rubber damped?

I need help in choosing :).

·
Registered
688 Posts
Stock is rubber damped. I read somewhere that non damped is OK but you'd notice some vibration.

·
Registered
276 Posts
@OldSchlPunk thanks for the info.

Yeah, I did some reading. It looks to me it's like a "What oil to use?" dilemma. Everyone uses something diff and swears by it. Imma stick to stock. If factory thinks it should be there...

Now, for the rear sprocket, I've heard of getting aluminum for the inner disk, and steal for the teeth. Any recomendations?

·
Registered
688 Posts
Stock chain is DID 525V10. From BikeBandit, it's $91.14, which is a good price. I've had good luck with DID in the past and this chain has over 18k on it so far.

The SuperSprox sprocket is just what you describe, aluminum carrier with a steel chain ring. Very good sprocket, pricey though. That's where the Superlite comes in...much cheaper and only marginally heavier.

·
Premium Member
2,615 Posts
I'm on my second set of Superlites, this time with an RK chain.
New Chain & Sprockets!---Nov 2019 003.JPG

Reactions: GreatHolio

·
Registered
276 Posts
Stock chain is DID 525V10
Again, thanks for taking your time to answer my noob questions. Seriously, much apreciated. I had found this part number in my service manual. A quick search online found that it's out of stock on the 3 main places I looked at. Either way, knowing what brand Yamaha uses helps narrow my search.

SuperSprox sprocket
You hit it again, right on the nail. But now I'm questioning my choice since you mention pricing vs weight savings. If you have more input on this, or anyone else for that matter, would be greatly appreciated. Shaving weight off is always good, no matter what the bike is used for, but money is a consideration. I'm not looking for that extra tenth of a second on the track. Just a good daily rider.

All in all, I think I already have enough info to pull the trigger today.

·
Registered
276 Posts
@shamrock what say you about your LighTech Chain Adjusters? Yay or nay? I'm seriously thinking of getting this.

·
Premium Member
2,615 Posts
Full Disclosure: They are not real Lightechs but $60 Ebay Chinese knock offs.
( You could probably find them now for half of that.)
However, they are, without a doubt, the best farkle I have added to my 09.

·
Registered
276 Posts
...without a doubt, the best farkle I have added to my 09.
Just to be clear, you are saying they work great??? ( to me looks are secondary 😁 😎 :ROFLMAO: ).

1 - 20 of 48 Posts